Where did all the WW2 people go?

flygav

vor 18 Minuten schrieb BIGNEWY:

No problem, 

you wont find anyone better than Nick Grey with an understanding of real warbird flight and the simulation world. 

Yes, and you can feel that in dcs as well. 

But certain things just take a long
time and we're really talking about years here(I could not fly the d9 for 3 years.) and that usually ends up in topics and comments like these here.

Maybe dawger can tell us more precisely what he means.  I understand his point because certain problems simply still exist as already addressed.

• ED Team

We are getting off topic from the original thread here, so it would be best to do it in a different thread.

thanks 

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Yep, thread subject swerved a bit, sorry from my part.

I still genuinely would like to know those details some people find so disturbing. Please, whether it be on a new topic, PM, or whatever, I really would like to know some of it at least.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Maybe a little yes

but I think  some of these things belong here  because among other things it is an answer to why people are away

Because that is my opinion, bugs and that some things take a long time is one of the reasons.

if any of this is new and turns out to be a bug, we can always open a new topic about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hobel said:

it is an answer to why people are away

Many users are not away, some of us just dislike the MP scene, so I fly WW2 but in SP only.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

8 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

We are getting off topic from the original thread here, so it would be best to do it in a different thread.

thanks 

Do you mean posts about how "Nick Grey is the best person to determine true to life FM and engine and systems simulation of ww2 planes, yes i agree with that, this is definitely not why ppl leave DCS ww2, topic is about why and where ppl went gone from ww2. 

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Just a little context for my views: I flew flight sims in MP for something like 30 years. I finally had to step back and reassess what I liked and didn't like about the hobby. What I liked were study level sims. What I like is the history. DCS has those in SINGLE PLAY. What i didn't like was all the GAMER stuff, furballs down in the weeds. Fine for some. Not for me.

So I changed my approach. I only fly SP in DCS. And I only fly ww2 warbirds (and the A4-E). I write SP missions that are as historically accurate as I can make them within the confines of DCS. You can find them in the USERS section under my users name of tttiger.

That said: Why are Warbirds folks leaving DCS?:

1. The plane sets are way too limited and mismatched. The only Luftwaffe fighter I use in my missions  is the FW190A8 because the Dora and the 109 we have are late war models that only appeared in limited numbers and mostly to chase bombers. Now we are about to get the Corsair, which never flew a single mission in Europe. WTF?

2. The naval assets are a joke. The only U-boat we have is the Flak version that appeared in very limited numbers (5, I think) and were withdrawn from service in about a month and all served in the Bay of Biscay, which isn't even on our maps. We don't have any destroyers of any nation. WTF?

3. The maps are way too limited for the planes we have. The Mossie was a long range attack aircraft used mostly in Southern France, Scandinavia and Germany. Do we have maps of  Southern France, Scandinavia and Germany? Nope. But we have maps of the Falklands and Marianas. WTF?

How should DCS fix it?:

1. Focus the plane set on historical matchups. Don't enlarge its scope until it is filled out for European missions.

2. Give us more naval assets: Destroyers, river barges, flak ships, minesweepers. The carriers are nice but, as a mission builder, what I need are historical targets.

3. Similarly, we need maps that cover historical operations. Right now I am working on Mossie missions by Coastal Command in Scandinavia. I am substituting the South Atlantic for Norway. And Normandy for the Baltic coast. That ain't right.

In short DCS needs to narrow its focus and concentrate on quality and history. Constantly enlarging its scope just results in releasing planes that have neither historical adversaries nor maps. I-16, anyone?

HT/TTT 

Edited by HotTom
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!

38 minutes ago, HotTom said:

I write SP missions that are as historically accurate as I can make them within the confines of DCS. You can find them in the USERS section under my users name of tttiger.

Thanks a lot for sharing them, you are quite prolific with over 40 missions 👍  .. just downloaded a bunch for the Mosquito, I will fly them as soon as I finish my training on the type 🙂   

May I suggest that adding a tag for the map used on each mission would be helpful  🙏 as this would prevent people from downloading a mission for a Map they don't have yet.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

3 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Thanks a lot for sharing them, you are quite prolific with over 40 missions 👍  .. just downloaded a bunch for the Mosquito, I will fly them as soon as I finish my training on the type 🙂   

May I suggest that adding a tag for the map used on each mission would be helpful  🙏 as this would prevent people from downloading a mission for a Map they don't have yet.

Good idea, Rudel! I thought DCS automatically told users what add-ons are required. Most of my A4-E missions are on the Syrian map (IAF). Most of the Mossie missions are on the Normandy map and the Channel map. Please give me feedback after you try them!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, HotTom said:

I write SP missions that are as historically accurate as I can make them within the confines of DCS. You can find them in the USERS section under my users name of tttiger.

Thanks! That is a good selection of missions, both for the Mossie and A-4! 

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

12 hours ago, HotTom said:

Now we are about to get the Corsair, which never flew a single mission in Europe.

Since you seem a history nerd I'm sure you're aware some Royal Navy Wildcats, Hellcats, and Corsairs did fly on D-day. Anyhow, that's just an anecdote, I totally get your point though those are quite different reasons (also valid, but different) than some other people were telling on this very topic.

About those other reasons, I still would like to know since perhaps I'm loosing something, but they don't seem to partake in the chat now. That's not helpful mates, you complain but no reasons given so we could know, discuss, or whatever, and I'm pretty sure ED is "listening" as they always do to the community uneasiness but if you don't tell you aren't helping anyone 🙄 .

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

On 7/3/2022 at 1:11 AM, HotTom said:
Just a little context for my views: I flew flight sims in MP for something like 30 years. I finally had to step back and reassess what I liked and didn't like about the hobby. What I liked were study level sims. What I like is the history. DCS has those in SINGLE PLAY. What i didn't like was all the GAMER stuff, furballs down in the weeds. Fine for some. Not for me.
So I changed my approach. I only fly SP in DCS. And I only fly ww2 warbirds (and the A4-E). I write SP missions that are as historically accurate as I can make them within the confines of DCS. You can find them in the USERS section under my users name of tttiger.
That said: Why are Warbirds folks leaving DCS?:
1. The plane sets are way too limited and mismatched. The only Luftwaffe fighter I use in my missions  is the FW190A8 because the Dora and the 109 we have are late war models that only appeared in limited numbers and mostly to chase bombers. Now we are about to get the Corsair, which never flew a single mission in Europe. WTF?
2. The naval assets are a joke. The only U-boat we have is the Flak version that appeared in very limited numbers (5, I think) and were withdrawn from service in about a month and all served in the Bay of Biscay, which isn't even on our maps. We don't have any destroyers of any nation. WTF?
3. The maps are way too limited for the planes we have. The Mossie was a long range attack aircraft used mostly in Southern France, Scandinavia and Germany. Do we have maps of  Southern France, Scandinavia and Germany? Nope. But we have maps of the Falklands and Marianas. WTF?
How should DCS fix it?:
1. Focus the plane set on historical matchups. Don't enlarge its scope until it is filled out for European missions.
2. Give us more naval assets: Destroyers, river barges, flak ships, minesweepers. The carriers are nice but, as a mission builder, what I need are historical targets.
3. Similarly, we need maps that cover historical operations. Right now I am working on Mossie missions by Coastal Command in Scandinavia. I am substituting the South Atlantic for Norway. And Normandy for the Baltic coast. That ain't right.
In short DCS needs to narrow its focus and concentrate on quality and history. Constantly enlarging its scope just results in releasing planes that have neither historical adversaries nor maps. I-16, anyone?
HT/TTT 

Someone missing F4U British models fly combat missions on ETO. The F4U has builded by Magnitude 3rd party, with a PTO assets pack incoming with USN and IJA/IJN units.

https://www.quora.com/Did-the-F4U-Corsair-fighter-see-any-service-in-or-near-Europe

I-16 type 24 was build by Octopus-G 3rd party, that team has none a assets pack team o a map team.

ED has build type VII\41 versions, builded near 91 ships.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:German_Type_VIIC/41_submarines

U-995_Marineehrenmal_Laboe.jpg

U-Flak version has a complete diferent animal. No develop by ED.

https://uboat.net/types/u-flak.htm

The actual WW2 maps has produced by ED and 3rd parties.

- ED build the channel map WW2, centered on Battle of Britain scenery, and actually has build free Marianas WW2. We don't know what next map coming to DCS to WW2 by ED after Marianas WW2.

- Normandy map has builded by Ugra Media 3rd party, that actually on progress to redone and expand to North and east, include London and Paris cities, further expansions has unkonow.

- Falklands map has builded by RAZBAM 3rd Party map team.

How should DCS fix it?:

1. Meanwhile ED has actually not put plans about the future of WW2 (Nick Grey has talked about build PTO and Bob modules), 3rd parties has free to build your modules, and outside the M3 F4U, none has talked about new WW2 aircrafts.
2. WW2 assets packs units incoming has actually unkonow and ED has none talk about what units has on develop or planned to expand them.
3. Extensión of actual maps or new maps has none detail yet by ED or 3rd parties.

Enviado desde mi RNE-L21 mediante Tapatalk

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

- ED build the channel map WW2, centered on Battle of Britain scenery, and actually has build free Marianas WW2. We don't know what next map coming to DCS to WW2 by ED after Marianas WW2.

Silver Dragon, as always thanks for keeping track of the facts and the work you do updating your unofficial Roadmap since ED is reluctant to publish one, someone needs to keep their feet to the fire.

The Channel map is a bit of a mix, it is not representative of the BoB but England is a mix of modern and 1944. The concrete strip at RAF Manston was operational for returning damaged bombers in 1944, RAF Headcorn and RAF High Halden were both built in the spring of 1944 and operated from April to September (?) only.  France looks like a mix of 1940 and the late 1950's

It already overlaps 90% with the Normandy map and I can't imagine that the Normandy expansion won't add detail and airfields in that area.  Maybe the Channel will expand North into bomber country and East to the Ruhr valley and give us a theater for the B-17, Mustang and K4.

3 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

2. WW2 assets packs units incoming has actually unkonow and ED has none talk about what units has on develop or planned to expand them.

There is a list of planned confirmed additional assets on the forums that was updated once or twice, it has not however been cancelled. I can't be bothered to find it at the moment but it included a B-24, B-26, B-25, Lancaster, Typhoon I, Fw-190F-8, Bf-190G-6 AI assets as future additions. I think all of the ground assets that were on it have been added already.

• Like 1

Silver dragon, thanks for your lengthy reply. My comments still stand, though. The whole WW2 effort is too scattered, in my opinion, and I don't think expanding into the Pacific without building out more of Europe is a good idea.

That said, where can I find a type VIIC U-boat WITHOUT the flak guns? You say ED built it but I can't find it anywhere. And I'm pretty sure ED built the Type VIIC flak boat we have. Post a link to the VIIC ED non-flak U-boat, please.

I really am pleased with the WW2 planes we have and plan to continue to write missions for them. I just think it's counter-productive to expand before filling in the ETO.

Edited by HotTom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

At the pace things get developed it can take quite a few years right? Ed isnt a large team. Working to this detail and accuracy takes time. 

And my 2 cent eto has been done over and over and over. Pto can be quite interesting aswell. And to be frank we have a mustang. Add a zero the corsair or hellcat a carrier in the middle of the ocean and a b24/25/26/29. Throw in some pto scenery of small island groups that was fought above and youre good to go. Atm nothing really adds up to "historical" correctness.  You cant make everyone happy. Thats how it is.

Edited by Doughguy

13 hours ago, HotTom said:

Silver dragon, thanks for your lengthy reply. My comments still stand, though. The whole WW2 effort is too scattered, in my opinion, and I don't think expanding into the Pacific without building out more of Europe is a good idea.

That said, where can I find a type VIIC U-boat WITHOUT the flak guns? You say ED built it but I can't find it anywhere. And I'm pretty sure ED built the Type VIIC flak boat we have. Post a link to the VIIC ED non-flak U-boat, please.

I really am pleased with the WW2 planes we have and plan to continue to write missions for them. I just think it's counter-productive to expand before filling in the ETO.

You has claimed ED has building a "U-Flak" boat... a minority on the total U-boat submarine production:

3f607727e9454c4d8b23f06a35e657f8.jpg

and that is false... I put info about ED has build a "normal" Uboat Type VII... when all Uboat series except the early Type VIIA, always carring some type of flak...
https://uboat.net/technical/flak.htm

Turmumbau IV

The VIIC (which was the most common U-boat type) was from 1944 on wards typically fitted with one 3.7cm automatic M42 U on gun-carriage LM 42 U and two double-barrelled 2cm 38 M II on double-LM 43 U.

typeviib_conningsjoql0.jpg

48219fa1c37facc7ba159819c0205223.jpg

Edited by Silver_Dragon

On 7/5/2022 at 5:31 PM, 71st_AH Rob said:

There is a list of planned confirmed additional assets on the forums that was updated once or twice, it has not however been cancelled. I can't be bothered to find it at the moment but it included a B-24, B-26, B-25, Lancaster, Typhoon I, Fw-190F-8, Bf-190G-6 AI assets as future additions. I think all of the ground assets that were on it have been added already.

I maintan on the assets pack lists only on the roadmap as a reminder of the old KS and some comentaries on the russian forum, but actually, that has only a "plan" and ED never confirm them or put any pic claimed them from 6-7 years ago. All has subject to changes.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

1 hour ago, Silver_Dragon said:

I maintan on the assets pack lists only on the roadmap as a reminder of the old KS and some comentaries on the russian forum, but actually, that has only a "plan" and ED never confirm them or put any pic claimed them from 6-7 years ago. All has subject to changes.

Ok, you made me go look for it and it wasn't as hard as I feared:

"The DCS: World War II Assets Pack will continue to grow with DCS: Combined Arms compatibility and free asset additions that includes:

Avro Lancaster
        Hawker Typhoon
        C-47
        Bf 109 G-6
        B-24
        B-25
        B-26

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/164973-current-asset-pack-list-subject-to-change/?do=findComment&comment=164984

Nineline updated this list in October 2021 so I assume that it's current since I have seen nothing to contradict it since then.

Edited by 71st_AH Rob
Forum software...
  • Like 1

We haven’t heard much from the WWII dev team after the Mosquito has launched into EA, and no new WWII module was announced. Maybe they are working on the assets? 

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

8 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

You has claimed ED has building a "U-Flak" boat... a minority on the total U-boat submarine production:

3f607727e9454c4d8b23f06a35e657f8.jpg

and that is false... I put info about ED has build a "normal" Uboat Type VII... when all Uboat series except the early Type VIIA, always carring some type of flak...
https://uboat.net/technical/flak.htm

typeviib_conningsjoql0.jpg

48219fa1c37facc7ba159819c0205223.jpg

Silver Dragon, I asked you what time it is and you show me how to build a clock....

I KNOW all this stuff you posted, but none of it is linked to DCS. All that other info you linked is from online sources I already have.

Now. what I asked for was a DCS link to a type VIIC U-boat. The one I received with the WWII Assets Pack is a flak version and I can find no other....I don't believe a VIIC without flak exists in DCS.

Prove me wrong....

6 hours ago, Bozon said:

We haven’t heard much from the WWII dev team after the Mosquito has launched into EA, and no new WWII module was announced. Maybe they are working on the assets? 

Maybe they've been grabbed (Shanghaied) to build jets and helicopters. WWII doesn't seem to have a coordinator anymore. 

Edited by HotTom

14 minutes ago, HotTom said:

Now. what I asked for was a DCS link to a type VIIC U-boat. The one I received with the WWII Assets Pack is a flak version and I can find no other....I don't believe a VIIC without flak exists in DCS.

Prove me wrong....

Maybe they've been grabbed (Shanghaied) to build jets and helicopters. WWII doesn't seem to have a coordinator anymore. 

What part of "a VIIC without flak" of german WW2 submarinesdo you expected found of DCS?

ED has a WW2 ED team and Nick Grey has talked about future modules incoming as a F6F and some Bob aircrafts.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HotTom said:

Nevermind...😖

Just lost in translation mate. It happens, he's not an English native.

VIIc/41 I believe, not exactly a flak U-boot.

WIP-U-boat-Type-VII-02.jpg

• Like 1

No, that definitely is not a flak boat. It's what I'm looking for! Does it exist in DCS?

I know how to nerf the flak boat (put it on weapons hold) but that makes it too easy a target.