vintage switch labels solution for different languages!

Rick50

Ok, so we know that many older aircraft did not feature switch labels for all languages, and sometimes aircraft would be sold to other nations.

We also know that virtual flyers may not be able to read the markings in other languages.

So I have a solution that preserves some semblance of realism, even for people who fly planes that don't know the native languages of the planes they fly:

Old school label makers! 

No, not the computerised units of today. I mean the ones that used a black thick strong tape about maybe 8mm wide, and you stamped each letter individually, mechanically, and selected each letter and number from a rotary dial. 

At least one manufacturer was Dymo, and the results can be seen here:

Dymo on Etsy

Dymo mechanical manual printer at Etsy

These used to be seen on all sorts of vehicles, radios, by switches, back in the 1980's and before that, in the real world, and on some military equipment.

So, it would look more immersive, if you wanted say English in a German vehicle, or Spanish in a British vehicle, even if the real vehicle never had Spanish labels, because anyone who could get such label makers could outfit a cockpit in maybe 2 hours of work. 

I'm not saying it "has to be" this way, just an idea that is based in the real world of old, a possible option for us virtual fliers!

Edited by Rick50
  • Like 2

something like this?

20220318_080334.jpg

Took the picture through the side door of an MD500 parked at the local agricultural facility last week.

Measuring in pounds is not the way to go in Germany, so liter and kilogram labels have been attached to the fuel gauge. 🤣

Edited by gulredrel

Well, yes and no.

Yes, for the use, putting a physical sticky label onto the cockpit, for use by the pilot.

No, for the use of very modern "computer printer" style lables.

But generally, yes, that's kinda the idea. I'm talking about the types used in the 1970's 80's and 90's, black border with white lettering, sometimes red tape. Mechanical printer that makes an raised surface for the letters.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As far as i know those sticks weren't used (at least) on the F1. The solution, for a realistic appearing cockpit,  is a) Aerges will provide an optional labelled cockpit (like razbam did for the M2000), or b) the community will develop a respective mod. 

Edited by jaguara5

• 3 months later...
On 3/18/2022 at 2:59 PM, Rick50 said:

Well, yes and no.

Yes, for the use, putting a physical sticky label onto the cockpit, for use by the pilot.

No, for the use of very modern "computer printer" style lables.

But generally, yes, that's kinda the idea. I'm talking about the types used in the 1970's 80's and 90's, black border with white lettering, sometimes red tape. Mechanical printer that makes an raised surface for the letters.

What you're referring to is a Dymo label. You can still buy these and the mechanical label makers are inexpensive, if you want them for your cockpit.

51rYqRWZg4L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I meant that since it's been used in some older real aircraft in the past, this would be a great way for a module developer to have switches in other languages, but still look 100% realistic and not "fictional" switch labels for languages never used by real airforces with that aircraft.

Meaning, for people who want Swedish switches, they select such, and you get labels that look just like these Dymo labels in Swedish. In the virtual cockpit made by Aerges... so  that even VR and AR users see the labels in the language of their choices. Same thing for other languages.

8 hours ago, Scott-S6 said:

What you're referring to is a Dymo label. You can still buy these and the mechanical label makers are inexpensive, if you want them for your cockpit.

51rYqRWZg4L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Yes. If you read the first post in the thread I identify the brand and where you can buy them even today.

• Like 2