Varjo Aero incorrectly treated as having Bionic Display, game breaking bug

mimikiwi

Since 2.7.11 which was released today, Varjo Aero users cannot play the game in VR anymore. The resolution of the rendered screens in the headsets is really low. What seems to be happening here is that most Varjo headsets make use of the bionic display, which is in fact using 4 screens, 2 screens for the entire FOV and 2 screens for only the focal point of the FOV which are high resolution. DCS has had support for these headsets for quite a while and you could enable this by using the startup parameter: —force-varjo-vr. It seems right now DCS actually detects there is a varjo headset being used and automatically renders 4 screens for all varjo users regardless of headset type. This means for XR / VR users it is working as intended (edit: I’m getting some reports VR3/Xr3 users are only getting 2 screens so it may be a switch around…) but for Aero users it makes VR useless. Only the low resolution full FOV renders are being used for Aero headsets now and this completely defeats the purpose of having an Aero in the first place.

In my opinion there should be an option to toggle this behavior in game. Both for Aero and XR/VR users because it will eat a lot of performance for XR users as well. However for Aero users we cannot enjoy the game in VR right now which is a pity with the Apache release. Is there a workaround perhaps? Is there a startup parameter to disable varjo vr support?

Anyway, we need a fix asap.

I’ve attached a screenshot of my mirror to showcase the issue better. 

With kind regards,

MimiKiwi

223DAE7A-C79D-4189-8E42-3B32EBB7B1EC.jpeg

Edited by mimikiwi
Extra info about XR/VR3 users getting only 2 screens…
  • Like 2

• ED Team

Hi, 

I have made the vr team aware and they will check it. 

thank you

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have VR-3 and DCS steam version. Before the patch I could enable the bionic dcs rendering by the --force_varjo_VR but I did not liked it anyway as the outside resolution was worse than not using the 4 window resolutions. Luckily I'm on a steam version which does not enable the varjo special rendering but I can not enable it either with option --fofce_varjo_VR anymore.

I have tried standalone version and it does the same. There needs to be NOT autodetect of which mode should be used as me as VR-3 user can decide to not use the bionic mode for any reason.

to be absolutely clear - there needs to be always switch which user can control if the VR rendering will use 4 window rendering or normal 2 screen rendering regardless on the VR model type 

Edited by festr

• ED Team

Please try this 

to make Varjo work in native varjo mode you must launch DCS with special command line key like this  

"D:\DCS Open Beta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_varjo_VR

you can do this with a shortcut on the desktop and adjust the properties of the shortcut

Let us know if it helps

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

10 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Please try this 

to make Varjo work in native varjo mode you must launch DCS with special command line key like this  

you can do this with a shortcut on the desktop and adjust the properties of the shortcut

Let us know if it helps

I've tried the option and it gives me the same result. As in it doesn't work correctly. It gives me 4 screens and low resultion in the headset. I've done the option directly on the commandline but also as a shortcut. Why it works for Morphine I don't understand. I think the command I just tried actually activates the 4 screens. In past versions of DCS this was the case. I would expect we need something like:

"DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_disable_varjo_VR

So in short. Aero users need the same kind of rendering like other regular headsets with 2 screens. That is until foveated rendering is supported I believe...

• ED Team

I will speak with the VR devs in the morning. 

thanks for checking it out. 

9 minutes ago, Morphine said:

I found that adding the --force_steam_VR switch worked.

"C:\DCS Open Beta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_steam_VR

Yes! You are completely right! This is the workaround we are looking for to keep going. Bear in mind you need to use the cross-eye tool to make sure it's distortion free. 

Just now, BIGNEWY said:

I will speak with the VR devs in the morning. 

thanks for checking it out. 

Thank you. The workaround for now is the --force_steam_VR  which makes it work like previous version. this gives more time to the devs to come up with a native fix!

• Like 1

Second the force_steam_VR command line.  Losing access to Reshade, fpsVR, and Steam Overlay is a no go for me, I don't need a direct access that would bypass SteamVR.  At least we still have this option via command line, but please don't take it away.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

45 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Please try this 

Let us know if it helps

With VARJO VR-3

If I run it with dcs.exe - it runs in normal steam vr mode (2 windows)

If I run it with dcs.exe --force_enable_VR --force_varjo_VR - it runs in 2D mode (no VR at all)

If I run it with dcs.exe --force_varjo_VR - it runs also in 2D mode (no VR at all) 

3 hours ago, festr said:

With VARJO VR-3

If I run it with dcs.exe - it runs in normal steam vr mode (2 windows)

If I run it with dcs.exe --force_enable_VR --force_varjo_VR - it runs in 2D mode (no VR at all)

If I run it with dcs.exe --force_varjo_VR - it runs also in 2D mode (no VR at all) 

Interesting.... With my VR-3 the regular shortcut opens Varjo VR mode and I have to use  --force_steam_VR to get the original Steam VR mode. I did not need to redo the WMR flip.

Same issue with me too. I am relieved that it's not just me.

Thanks for raising this problem 👍

Kit: i9 10900k, Rog Strix RTX 4090, Asus Rog strix Z490 Mobo, 64 GB, Varjo Aero HMD running Open VR

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Thrustmaster Pendular rudder peddles

MODS: Pretty much all of them

I'm happy everyone is chiming in on this issue. I'm glad we have some workarounds. I agree it's important to keep all these startup parameters so everyone can choose their ideal setup. What I do like about using the Varjo library is that it will enable things like Foveated Rendering in the long run including performance increase in VR so I like the direction in which ED is moving with this. (it needs to be programmed first, but it is possible). But I know lots who use Steam overlays and other tools like VRPerfKit and FPSVR which are really great so to be able to choose even with a startup parameter would be great.

Oh no sorry to see this issue with Aero. Yesterday afternoon spent all my time in 2d setting up controls for Apache and going to hopefully be trying it out some today. 

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Add me to the list of Aero users experiencing this issue.  I’ll give the workaround a try.  

Edited by atrdriver

Digital Storm Velox, Intel i9 7900X Extreme Edition, ASUS TUF X299 MARK 2, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, 1 SSD 960Gb, 2TB HDD, 1 GeForce GTx 1080 Ti 11GB VR Ready, 2 Stage Liquid Cooling, Win 10 Home 64-bit, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind, TIR5 w/ TrackClip Pro, Acer Predator 32” 4K Monitor

your top screen shows an incomplete folder name

"\DCS Open Beta\"   <-- top screen

"\DCS World OpenBeta\" <--- bottom, which I assume is where your game is installed.

make sure the top screen properties reflect the correct path to DCS.exe on your PC (i.e.  "D:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR )

2 hours ago, RePhil said:

image.png

does not work for me get this error when I try

image.png

This is what I see when I go to properties

I saw the same thing.  Above the .exe file in that folder should be a DCS.exe file.  Create a shortcut of THAT file and add the workaround extenstion mentioned above.

Digital Storm Velox, Intel i9 7900X Extreme Edition, ASUS TUF X299 MARK 2, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, 1 SSD 960Gb, 2TB HDD, 1 GeForce GTx 1080 Ti 11GB VR Ready, 2 Stage Liquid Cooling, Win 10 Home 64-bit, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind, TIR5 w/ TrackClip Pro, Acer Predator 32” 4K Monitor