New FLIR rendering system

Padonis

Just a reminder - not all units were adjusted to look "right" when viewed through FLIR. In fact, no airframe except the Apache was adjusted. They all use their RoughMet texture as FLIR texture (even the hornet in the apache trailer). Don't confuse this bug with the wip state of the system.
It's not that, the new FLIR effects are simply not there at all, it still looks like the old system. No bloom on hot objects, no opaque glass, you can read letters and see the different camo patterns, you don't see the roughmet or the heat maps (depending on the unit) and you can't see jet exhaust heat and afterburner bloom.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

13 hours ago, Harker said:

I tested the Hornet, Viper, Warthog, Tomcat, Harrier and Jeff (don't have the Apache yet). Out of all of those, only the Harrier and the Jeff seem to have the new FLIR correctly implemented. The rest seem to still use the old FLIR, but with the reversed polarity bug.

Let it be stated that the Harrier and F14 did NOT get the FLIR update.

Those are the only two with FLIR capability that aren't / weren't supposed to be altered and still on the old system

14 minutes ago, XCNuse said:

Those are the only two with FLIR capability that aren't / weren't supposed to be altered and still on the old system

No, the F/A-18, F-16 and A-10C are still on the old system too.

Do you mind taking a look at the Harrier? Because its FLIR behaves the same as the Jeff's and shows all the new features, for me.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

10 minutes ago, Harker said:
32 minutes ago, XCNuse said:

Do you mind taking a look at the Harrier? Because its FLIR behaves the same as the Jeff's and shows all the new features, for me.

Just going off statements from Razbam and Heatblur.

I haven't had time to check anything yet, but one thing is for sure, it's not 100% the old system, but definitely doesn't look like that picture from the Apache earlier in this thread, especially with that jet wash!

EasyEB's picture of the A10Cii definitely looks like the old system, I do agree.

About to head into work myself, so I can't get TGP pictures from every jet, but I'm hoping the rest of community can, otherwise, I'll do it when I get home!

Edited by XCNuse

5 minutes ago, XCNuse said:

Just going off statements from Razbam and Heatblur.

Just because 3rd parties say they did not touch anything, does not mean it's working the same if ED made global changes under the hood. 

More so if they are checking a different version, than the one which was uploaded yesterday for customers. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

2 minutes ago, some1 said:

Just because 3rd parties say they did not touch anything, does not mean it's working the same if ED made global changes under the hood. 

More so if they are checking a different version, than the one which was uploaded yesterday for customers. 

Also true! I just want that stated, and at least with HB, it's in the channel there with proof from Cobra, RB I got a response from RB Alpha Juliet on Discord

I'd say if changes were made, and weren't supposed to be added, that should probably be noted as well, as that can be a bit dangerous.

I get that new FLIR is WIP, but there needs to be a workaround in the interim. Right now, it appears that whats "hot" and "cold" is tied to color of whats being looked at; ever since caucauses got the new textures, everything is camouflaged in FLIR in the A-10. I have a test mission with some T-72's in a cornfield, and they're practically invisible, old or new FLIR system. I'm super happy ED wants to make new meshes for all vehicles, but in the mean time we need something that makes hot vehicles stand out so the FLIR is at least playable in the mean time. 

4 minutes ago, Shein said:

I get that new FLIR is WIP, but there needs to be a workaround in the interim. Right now, it appears that whats "hot" and "cold" is tied to color of whats being looked at; ever since caucauses got the new textures, everything is camouflaged in FLIR in the A-10. I have a test mission with some T-72's in a cornfield, and they're practically invisible, old or new FLIR system. I'm super happy ED wants to make new meshes for all vehicles, but in the mean time we need something that makes hot vehicles stand out so the FLIR is at least playable in the mean time. 

That’s not going to happen. We’ve been asking for an interim solution or fixing of the old FLIR for years. They’re not going to do it now. It’ll be available for the other modules when ED feel like it. The only thing we can do is let them know that it is a feature that is desperately needed and hopefully it will be available sooner rather than later.

Edited by EasyEB

Okay, excuse the really poor execution here.

Attached is BHOT/WHOT with CCD below for the F18 (using center MPCD to keep things as same as possible), A10Cii, and F16

This is really hard to do at work without input devices or not using a controller, but as we already know, colors are inverted.

I'm also not entirely positive this is any different than the FLIR we had before the patch.

Unfortunately, I am unable to figure out how to slew the TADS in the Apache, because the documentation is using incorrect wording on how to manually move it; "SIGHT MANUAL TRACKER" and "Thumbforce controller" do not exist in keybinds.... so I'm at a loss and cannot use it for comparison at the moment.

Scratch that, got someone to help on discord.

Although it's still a bit of an unfair comparison as AH64 was closer to the targets, and no idea how to switch it to CCD (if it can)

But that said, the AH64's FLIR looks...... not at all the same as the other modules.

If I had a guess.......

I'd say the updated FLIR did not make it to ... any module short of the AH64.

Screenshot 2022-03-18 123457.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, XCNuse said:

Okay, excuse the really poor execution here.

Attached is BHOT/WHOT with CCD below for the F18 (using center MPCD to keep things as same as possible), A10Cii, and F16

This is really hard to do at work without input devices or not using a controller, but as we already know, colors are inverted.

I'm also not entirely positive this is any different than the FLIR we had before the patch.

Unfortunately, I am unable to figure out how to slew the TADS in the Apache, because the documentation is using incorrect wording on how to manually move it; "SIGHT MANUAL TRACKER" and "Thumbforce controller" do not exist in keybinds.... so I'm at a loss and cannot use it for comparison at the moment.

Scratch that, got someone to help on discord.

Although it's still a bit of an unfair comparison as AH64 was closer to the targets, and no idea how to switch it to CCD (if it can)

But that said, the AH64's FLIR looks...... not at all the same as the other modules.

If I had a guess.......

I'd say the updated FLIR did not make it to ... any module short of the AH64.

Screenshot 2022-03-18 123457.jpg

What map is this on? The issue is less with the vehicles and more with the terrain itself; if I could trouble you to run this test in Georgia you’ll see what I mean. I’m about to run it myself in an hour or so; I’ll post what I find. 

24 minutes ago, Shein said:

What map is this on? The issue is less with the vehicles and more with the terrain itself; if I could trouble you to run this test in Georgia you’ll see what I mean. I’m about to run it myself in an hour or so; I’ll post what I find. 

Caucasus, down at Batumi.

Something that I find super interesting though is look at the runway texture on the AH64 versus the other aircraft.

If anything here should be consistent, it should be the runway texture; as... even if we had a basic implement, we've been informed FLIR textures have been implemented but.... I'm not seeing that.

For what it's worth, and I need to move the helicopters; one set of vehicles had just driven, and the closer together ones stay stopped; I have no idea how long it takes for "heat to build" on a vehicle, so more testing may be involved (and I've played with it a touch, so what I have here isn't the same as my screenshots from here at work)

Attached for the sake of keeping things easy is a miz that... in theory should go into activepause 10 seconds in.

I was hoping to catch heat jet wash from vipers taking off ala Wag's video, but... I haven't been able to freeze frame with them taking off.

FLIR Testing.miz

Edited by XCNuse

• ED Team

So just a quick and dirty test from Stable vs OB, and besides the obvious W/BHOT being reversed, I do see changes. So I am not convinced the new system is not in, its just in wrong. And by that I mean it could be that its deeper than just being flopped.

Stable WHOT

Stable WHOT.png

OB BHOT (should be WHOT)

OB BHOT.png

OB WHOT (should be BHOT)

OB WHOT.png

• Thanks 2

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

20 minutes ago, NineLine said:

So just a quick and dirty test from Stable vs OB, and besides the obvious W/BHOT being reversed, I do see changes. So I am not convinced the new system is not in, its just in wrong. And by that I mean it could be that its deeper than just being flopped.

Think you can chuck the AH64 into that same mission and see how it compares visually?

Ground textures (obviously ignoring the river difference) are indeed different.

I don't have any computer with stable and OB to really test between the two versions sadly

What is still intriguing to me is that the airport asphalt textures are so drastically different

Edited by XCNuse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did my own test, where I saw the worst FLIR performance with A-10 and had the Apache to compare

NineLine, new flir may be there, appreciate the test but I'm not sure why the A-10 and other modules seem to be so "sensitive" to the ground when the Apache is so easily able to distinguish whats the ground and whats a vehicle... 

(Apache on left, hawg on the right) 

complete.png

• Like 2

Stable WHOT
436439426_StableWHOT.thumb.png.ac1f9d5b0277e27dc02ab80768ea7ee3.png
OB BHOT (should be WHOT)
859774348_OBBHOT.thumb.png.dffa07cf1e8c92affa00ef49db767796.png
OB WHOT (should be BHOT)
373062342_OBWHOT.thumb.png.dcceb857eed3179906a1951c92d386ef.png
I appreciate you testing this yourself. I think it's better to look at vehicles/aircraft with a camo paint scheme and writing, as well as jets (especially in afterburner).

In the new FLIR, camo patterns and writing are not visible through the FLIR and jet engine exhaust is visible, with afterburner being much more visible.

In the "old" FLIR (F-18, F-16, A-10), you can see the camo and the writing, and exhaust trails are not visible (smoke can be, but not the same), with afterburner also not being particularly bright, merely showing up a little bit. That's because the "old" FLIR still uses the simple color filter, as before.

-

Guys, it's really easy to check if it works or not. Pick one of the models that has the new FLIR enabled, check how it's supposed to look, then check in game how it looks. Done. I'm surprised at this point it's even being questioned by ED.

For example, this is how the Land Rover should look in FLIR according to ED's model viewer: notice the opaque glass, hot tires and canvas, cool body. 

Screenshot 2022-03-18 194849.jpg

This is how it looks in the Apache:

Screen_220318_193758.jpg

And this is how it looks in other ED aircraft (hint: the new FLIR is not working)

Screen_220318_195258.jpg

Screen_220318_194403.jpg

Silly enough, it's working in Razbam's Harrier, which is the one aircraft that was not mentioned anywhere in the changelog:

Screen_220318_195847.jpg

zFLIR2.miz

Edited by some1
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• ED Team
1 hour ago, EasyEB said:

If you can’t tell the difference between the old and the new FLIR, can we maybe talk to someone on the staff that can? 

Excuse me? The point of the post was to show that the new system is indeed in. I am not saying it is perfect or finished, which is the meaning of WIP, but you dont need to be rude. I dont appreciate the attitude and will not help get things solved. If you look at my images, you can see improvements in them, OBVIOUSLY there are issues as we can all see, but I am pointing out that the new system is there, its just got a major issue in the 10/16/18 right now.

As for the rest, this is all reported, and I am waiting on the team to work on it. 

14 minutes ago, some1 said:

I'm surprised at this point it's even being questioned by ED.

Its not being questioned, it's been reported. Thanks.

• Like 7

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png