One base and two grips--how to swap grips?

GoodHope

My current setup is a WarBRD base and a Mongoose CM2 grip.  I also have a Constellation Alpha that is currently not used.  I'd like to swap from the CM2 grip to the Constellation Alpha grip.  Last time I swapped them, I had all kinds of problems and for a short while, I thought I had bricked the base. At one time, there was a video on how to do what I'm asking, but it has been taken down.  What is the correct way to swap out grips?  Any help greatly appreciated!

Best, Dave

• 4 weeks later...

@GoodHope

I swap grips multiple times for the same base, here are my thoughts:

Per the VPC software manual,

All VPC devices are based on the same core architecture and microprocessor meaning that in it's unconfigured state - all VPC devices appear as the same generic controller using the same firmware, e.g:  "Firmware_vpc_YYMMDD_ [CNT-ATMEGA32U4] .hexc", where "YYMMDD" is the release version.

Before you can configure your VPC device you need to tell controller which device it is and how it should work. All VPC devices are build around the same platform:

1. The core USB controller - the motherboard or "brains" of the controller. 
  2. Expansion boards - daughterboards connected to the core USB controller via expansion slots to increase the controllers feature set via additional axis or button inputs.
  3. Controller firmware - this is the what brings all the "physical" electronics, motherboard and any daughterboards together as a single "logical" USB controller.

There are some key points to consider when using the VPC Configuration Tool:

1. If you have multiple VPC devices, only connect one at a time when updating the firmware or calibrating the device. 
  2. Select the device you wish to work with in the device list at the top of the window.
  3. You need to load the device into the VPC Configuration Tool - the blue “LOAD VPC DEVICE” button (this happens automatically in new versions of the configurator). While the profile is loading, you will see a scrolling line with the header reading the EEPROM.
  4. Upon completion of setup or calibration, it is necessary to write the profile to the device using the green button “SAVE VPC DEVICE” button.

In my opinion, there is no need to restart your computer. As a joystick controller, windows supports "plug-and-play." But windows does not support multiple identities (grips) for the same device. You need VPC software for that.

My suggestion is to never separate the grip from the base while it is connected to the PC. And I never plug in the base without a grip attached. Those might be precautions unique to myself, but it works.

The important part is that you need VPC to load a profile into the base electronics to define the combination of grip+base. When you unplug the joystick, swap bases, and plug it back in, the base still thinks it has the old grip attached (previous profile). Use the VPC software to configure the new combination, it will save the profile to the base, then windows will properly recognize it. You can test this with VPC software as well.

Since you're going to do this multiple times, there's really no need to repeat the profile creation process every time (including calibration). Another part of the manual which will be important for you.

The Profile management group contains a button for importing a profile from the IMPORT PROFILE FROM FILE file and a button for exporting the profile to the EXPORT PROFILE TO FILE file.

After importing your saved profile, just click "SAVE VPC DEVICE" and it should be properly configured.

Hope that helps,

Edited by randomTOTEN
  • Thanks 1