First hour with the Apache

FoxxyTrotty

After an almost 40gb update for DCS beta itself, I load the Apache and setup the controls 95% per Waggs video and found that side of things flawless. In an empty mission and a couple waypoints I begin in the air to get a feel, and first thing I noticed vs the other choppers is how little the control inputs are needed... I repeatedly found myself doing Huey/mi8/24 type movements of the controls, and see the Apache doesn't like this! It's very easy to roll 90'(or more) without even trying, because i added collective a bit too quickly.

Watching Waggs videos, he would fly so... Slow isn't the word, but take a long to do his moves, never pitching more than a few degrees. I now see why. Thankfully it's very forgiving, I'm gonna guess the damage and overstress and FM is far from finished, but pulling out of a vertical dive at full power seemed no bother (try doing that in any other.

It's also very forgiving at rough landings, again more than any other. In some combat, it wasn't immediately obvious how to get my gunner shooting, and befor I could figure out which step I missed, my right pylon went missing to some shots from a BMP. The chopper leaned as expected into the now heavier asymmetric left side.

Overall its still very early access, I think I can understand why ED chose not to give a free trial to it at such an early stage, and I appreciate there is no way we could have had this 3 months ago. To all the hard work, especially from the unpaid alpha testers who been trialling and bug reporting getting it ready, thanks. Sound wise, the externals are really something. I look forward to learning it a bit more and top priority for me is adjusting to the high sensitivity on the controls.

Try hovering, then in 1 go, adding power, pull back + right with left rudder.... that's some crazy move that highlights how sensitive this thing is. It's a decent starting point for very early day1 access. Thx

Edited by FoxxyTrotty
Spelling
  • Like 2

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

Yep I was surprised too, coming from the hind it's totally different, first few minutes have been a wild ride 🤣  But I am getting used to it fast, already flying like I stole it and blowing up stuff, great times 🤪 a lot to learn, love it.

• Like 2

|AMD 7800x3D | 64GB DDR5-3600| GTX 4090 | Virpil Stick, Collectiv, WW MIP, WW Throttle, MFG Crosswind V2 | Windows 11 64-bit | SSD Samsung | 4K LG Oled 48 | Oculus Q3 | Simlab based Cockpit

I am going to try learning cold start first, then how to hover and fly the beast. Should get some good time in with it tomorrow, all I had time for today after getting it installed was mapping most of the controls.  I used Wags video for reference whilst setting them up as well.

Tomorrow I hope the real fun begins.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 minute ago, Mav said:

Very

Sorry that you're getting poor VR. 

I've had quite good performance in VR, on both Syria and Caucases in MP servers with high player numbers. I only have a 1070 and rift s and it works fine for me.

1 minute ago, Harry.R said:

Sorry that you're getting poor VR. 

I've had quite good performance in VR, on both Syria and Caucases in MP servers with high player numbers. I only have a 1070 and rift s and it works fine for me.

I have a 1080Ti and Quest 2. Running an i9 overclocked too. Did some tweaks previously to help VR run better in VR but the apache is pretty heavy on my system it seems. Not sure what else to do until it's been out a little longer and people find work arounds. Glad it's running great on your end!

10 hours ago, Mav said:

I have a 1080Ti and Quest 2. Running an i9 overclocked too. Did some tweaks previously to help VR run better in VR but the apache is pretty heavy on my system it seems. Not sure what else to do until it's been out a little longer and people find work arounds. Glad it's running great on your end!

What are your graphic settings like? Mine are mostly set to medium. I've had to lower my expectations with VR in order to get playable frame and 'ok' graphics. An M2 SSD and 64gig of ram have also helped.. Good luck, hope you find a solution soon. 🙂

When my slow internet finally let me start up, it was cold and dark outside, never mind in the Helo. Did a short, ugly engines running set up at Akrotiri, (may as well have sunshine) and I skittered about the pad for a few minutes, rodeo style and then got it in the air for a tower flyby of sorts, flying squint down the taxiway (trudged up that taxi way a few times) and then attemped a landing.....I was able to walk away is all I'll say. So it's a Landing then. 

Am I the only one that read the book, watched the vids....then suffered memory failure once in the blasted thing. I must've pressed the dump KV button!. Starting again from scratch this morning lol

In game tutorial followed....ish, managed a start, taxi.....it stopped speaking to me after that, so I bimbled out to the runway and took off....no one will notice and did a brilliant low lever, under the wires etc circuit and landed....but this time, I was able to taxi back to my slot, with the aircraft looking intact. Quick sign the 700, no faults and retire to the bar...or in my case, go walk the dog, HAVE A GREAT First day everyone & THANKS ED FOR THE MODULE

Edited by flyingscotsman
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 1:29 AM, Mav said:

Very

Really? I’m on a 1060 and I have no problems with it at all. VR performance in the Apache is better than the F16 for me (which is the 2nd worst performing module in VR for me, Mosquito is worst). I get solid performance from it in MP and SP, probably about the same as I do from the Ka50 in the same circumstances.

4 hours ago, ctguy1955 said:

There is a vid on Youtube where the guy says to use Full Screen in options, and hit Alt plus Enter and You will jump from 30FPS to a higher amount.

Hope this helps with VR

Anybody try and verify?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

19 hours ago, rubbra said:

Really? I’m on a 1060 and I have no problems with it at all. VR performance in the Apache is better than the F16 for me (which is the 2nd worst performing module in VR for me, Mosquito is worst). I get solid performance from it in MP and SP, probably about the same as I do from the Ka50 in the same circumstances.

Weird. The F16 handled perfectly for me. The AH-64 is the only module so far that has given me issues.