from stable to open beta?

probably asked many times but i cant find any real way.

Do i have to uninstall and reinstall if i want to make my version open beta from stable?

all i see is use command line, or some app, but it seems that it needs both installed to work.

there must be some way to "update/patch from stable to beta without reinstalling everything.

Thx

Win10 64, GeForce GTX1080 Ti, Rift touch, i5- 2.90GHz(o/c), 16gb Corsair Vengance RAM, X-56

KA-50-3, AH-64D, A10c II, AV-8B, MI-8, Spitfire, Viggen, FC3, F-14, F-15c,FA-18,  S/Carrier, CA, Nevada, Normandy 44, Channel,  Persian gulf, Marianas, Syria, Sth Atlantic, 

7 hours ago, GunnyCook said:

there must be some way to "update/patch from stable to beta without reinstalling everything.

That's exactly what conversion process by relevant command for dcs_updater (or by Skatezilla's GUI utility) does - it only downloads and installs these files, which are different between current stable and beta, while leaving all the rest intact.

Now, given the scope of yesterday's big OB patch, it can be up to 80 GB of data if you own Syria map (much less if you don't), but still - it's better to download "only" 80 than the whole shebang.

Command line method doesn't require installing anything, because it uses default built-in Windows features of command or powershell window. Might be a bit unfriendly though for users who are not into typing in the code oldschool-style. Skatezilla's utility solves that issue by activating the same functions with graphical buttons interface, and it only takes 7,6 megabytes on your drive, so I'd recommend going for that one.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

16 hours ago, GunnyCook said:

probably asked many times but i cant find any real way.

Do i have to uninstall and reinstall if i want to make my version open beta from stable?

all i see is use command line, or some app, but it seems that it needs both installed to work.

Thx

To change the non-Steam installation of DCS from Stable to Open Beta you just need to open the windows command prompt ("CMD"), use it to navigate to the install folder of DCS and then execute the following command:

DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta

This converts your Stable to the Open Beta branch of DCS. No special software needed, it's all being done with the windows command prompt.

Additional infos can be found here:

Edited by QuiGon
  • Thanks 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

2 hours ago, QuiGon said:
DCS_updater.exe update @release

uhm... it should be: DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

3 hours ago, draconus said:

Thanks, I missread the OP and thought he wanted to switch from Open Beta to Stable. I corrected it now :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

9 hours ago, draconus said:

yeah... i tried that, all it did was tell me i was on the latest "stable " version and wouldn't update to beta,. tried it with and without the "@" still the same. it just wont update. and that program, its just a switcher, 

Win10 64, GeForce GTX1080 Ti, Rift touch, i5- 2.90GHz(o/c), 16gb Corsair Vengance RAM, X-56

KA-50-3, AH-64D, A10c II, AV-8B, MI-8, Spitfire, Viggen, FC3, F-14, F-15c,FA-18,  S/Carrier, CA, Nevada, Normandy 44, Channel,  Persian gulf, Marianas, Syria, Sth Atlantic, 

6 minutes ago, GunnyCook said:

yeah... i tried that, all it did was tell me i was on the latest "stable " version and wouldn't update to beta,. tried it with and without the "@" still the same. it just wont update. and that program, its just a switcher,

Have you run it from cmd or powershell?

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

tried both. cmd first then PowerShell, but i read that PowerShell didnt work anyway

13 hours ago, draconus said:

10 hours ago, QuiGon said:

Thanks, I missread the OP and thought he wanted to switch from Open Beta to Stable. I corrected it now :thumbup:

4 hours ago, GunnyCook said:

2 hours ago, GunnyCook said:

tried both. cmd first then PowerShell, but i read that PowerShell didnt work anyway

@draconus you forgot to tell him .\ first., so it's

.\DCS_Updater.exe update @openbeta or .\DCS_Updater.exe update 2.7.11.21408.1

It won't work without the "dot backslash" first

• Thanks 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

4 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

How do I know which is my current installed version of DCS?

on the lower right corner of the DCS menu is its version number:

2.7.11.21408.1 is the latest openbeta 

2.7.10.19473 is the latest stable

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Update...

So i downloaded the beta installer from the site and ran it, took about an hour to create the beta version.

i think it just copied renamed and added to my original so not much needed downloading.

All planes and helos work and all terrains are present, didnt even have to re-authorise.

Did have to reassign controls or copy the file from the main game.

Down side is that you need enough space on the drive for 2 installs.

Thx 

If you would had just converted your DCS to openbeta, you would have saved disk space and kept your controls and other configurations (like the Logbook and your Campaign status).

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

On 3/19/2022 at 2:51 AM, rayrayblues said:

@draconus you forgot to tell him .\ first., so it's

.\DCS_Updater.exe update @openbeta or .\DCS_Updater.exe update 2.7.11.21408.1

It won't work without the "dot backslash" first

I always run the command on the CMD without the .\
Maybe that's something needed if you run it in Power Shell instead of just using the CMD?

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

6 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

Maybe that's something needed if you run it in Power Shell instead of just using the CMD?

You may be right.   🙃

Edit:   I usually migrate directly to the main folder, right click+enter on Bin Folder and PS opens directly.

I'm too lazy to type out the full address.  😁

Edited by rayrayblues

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to set up a copy of Stable in addition to my regular Open Beta install.

I've created an copy of my Open Beta install called DCS World Stable following Skatezilla's guide and it has it's own folder under Saved Games.

Now I'm having issues converting it from Open Beta to Stable. Using the command "DCS_updater.exe update @release" I'm just getting the message "The installed version 2.7.11.22211 is up to date"

I've tried performing the conversion from Skatezilla's DCS Updater Utility as well with the same result...

I was thinking it might have to do with both branches now being the same version but I would like to see in the Updater Utility that the Stable build says "Branch: Release"

DCS Updater branches.jpg

1 hour ago, ICHamilton said:

I was thinking it might have to do with both branches now being the same version but I would like to see in the Updater Utility that the Stable build says "Branch: Release"

This seems to me more of a problem with the Updater Utility, you could ask on its support thread: 

@ICHamilton
What you could have done, is just keeping the Stable Standalone, and then download the OpenBeta installer, and run that.
Then the installer would have copied all the files it needed from the Standalone, and the needed OpenBeta files from the net. Which is exactly what happens when you convert it.
And then configure the necessary settings in Skatezilla's app.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have the stable version installed.  2.7.14.24228  on a 500 gb ssd using 323gb.  Drive "E"   This is only DCS on this drive.

256 gb nvme with win10 using 50gb Drive "C" This is only win10.  About 190gb left.

Drive "D" is a 2tb hard disk that is empty.  

Will open beta also be 323gb?  I do not want to use the hard drive,   I want both open beta and the stable.  Seems like I will have to

replace the hard drive with a 2tb nvme ssd.  I wanted to purchase the new S Atlantic map but it will not run on the latest stable version.  Need the latest beta version.

If I have both versions, and I purchase the new map will both versions use the new map?  Don't know if the two separate versions will each

find all the different modules I have?

Edited by lazduc
New Topic made.

@lazduc Yes, the beta will take the same amount of disk space (and a bit more as the game grows with updates) as the stable if you install all your modules. They share the files when downloading but finally have to be in separate folders. SA map will not be available for the stable version until it gets updated in the future. Why would you need two installations anyway? Why not beta only? You can run a command to turn your stable into beta, it gets updated and that's it.

I installed the stable to start with.  The stable should have less problems with configurations.  My thoughts were to have

a version( stable) that I can fall back on if the beta becomes inoperative.  If I only have the beta then sometimes with the auto

updates can cause havoc and ruin the numerous setups you painstakingly have made.  As stated in my last post, the game 

currently is about 350 gb.  I have to get a nvme with 2 Tb, I thought 500 gb would be large enough.  I also need the beta

now to run S Atlantic.  I am going to purchase the map and the helicopter.  I have almost all the modules.  

4 minutes ago, lazduc said:

If I only have the beta then sometimes with the auto updates can cause havoc and ruin the numerous setups you painstakingly have made.

Updates are optional (at least for standalone), you can change stable/beta anytime you want and what havoc with setups and configurations are you talking about?

Key bindings, mods, hardware changes...all the things that show up that must be corrected.  Again my thoughts are

too have both versions which negates changing back and forth and having to use Skate Zillows to get the changes working.

I know I can turn off updates.  I suppose the updater is capable of seeing both installs and only work on the beta.

When I first loaded DCS onto my do everything computer (long time ago) it became a nightmare.  Had a lot of programs

and devices which became a rats nest.  Now I have dedicated computers.  Easier to trouble shoot.