from stable to open beta?

1 hour ago, lazduc said:

I suppose the updater is capable of seeing both installs and only work on the beta.

Since the folders are separate, so are the updaters, and you decide when you want to install the update. Stable version gets updates too, just less frequently, so whatever updates break for you, they will break it for the stable too. Ultimately it's your decission - it just looks unreasonable to me to buy another disk just to have two 350GB paralell versions. And please, have a little respect to at least mention SkateZilla name correctly.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

@lazduc In a couple of weeks stable version number will catch up with current beta and you will be able to install SA map on it if you're just a little patient. I'd wait instead of spending money on a new drive only for second copy of DCS, but in the end it's your decision.

Draconus is right, though. Nowadays beta releases are less frequent but more polished and only marginally more buggy than stable. I've been using strictly beta only for at least 4 years now and never had my controls wiped out by the update. I do know it happens every now and then to some guys but I believe it's related to something else in their systems than DCS itself and thus stable version is neither less nor more subjected to such risk. In both cases, keeping controls backups is mandatory.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 2:04 AM, draconus said:

Since the folders are separate, so are the updaters, and you decide when you want to install the update. Stable version gets updates too, just less frequently, so whatever updates break for you, they will break it for the stable too. Ultimately it's your decission - it just looks unreasonable to me to buy another disk just to have two 350GB paralell versions. And please, have a little respect to at least mention SkateZilla name correctly.

The folders are separate? Are you talking about Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/bin/ ? If so, I have DCS Updater in it, but not Open Beta. I tried the Skatezilla utility, but it didn't work for me.

I would prefer something made by ED that is "plug and play", as I'm not too computer savvy. Lacking this, I'd like more instructions on the process, please.

Here's how to switch your DCS installation from release to open beta with no other tools than ED's:

1. Go to your main DCS game folder ("./DCS World/"), then in its "/bin/" subfolder.
  2. Right-click "DCS_updater.exe" and choose "Create a shortcut".
  3. Open the Properties of the shortcut you just created.
  4. Edit the "Target" field by adding "update @openbeta" (example below - don't forget the space before the "update" word).
  5. Apply your modifications.
  6. Then simply run your shortcut. It will switch your DCS installation from release to open beta.

Example:

switch.png

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

5 hours ago, VZ_342 said:

The folders are separate? Are you talking about Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/bin/ ? If so, I have DCS Updater in it, but not Open Beta.

Yes, that is the usual (because users can change the name) installation folder for stable verison. If you also had beta version installed - it'd be in another folder ex. Eagle Dynamics/DCS World Open Beta/bin/ containing its own DCS Updater. That's why I said they are separate.

@Flappie You might want to change your instructions as the "update @openbeta" command needs the exact verison number added since some time. So it would need to be:

DCS_updater.exe update 2.7.15.26783@openbeta

The current version can be looked up on the http://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ site.

Also it might be necessary to add ".\" in front of the command.

Latest success story:

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Just now, Flappie said:

Nope, this command works for me. "@release" works as well. Give it a go if you don't trust me. 😉

OK, thx for the info, that's what I have read on the forum, that's all.

Both work. You can go back to any version as long as it's available on ED's servers, but if you want the latest available, no need to specify the version number.

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

If you don't specify the exact version number, it just updates to the latest version of the given branch (which is usually what you want anyways).

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg