Upgraded from 1080ti to 3080ti...some initial benchmarks...

DerekSpeare

I was fortunate to finally be able to get a 3080ti at a fair price. It's installed and operating perfectly. I did some basic benchmarks testing the "raw" gains from my old 1080ti to the new GPU. Below are the screenies from my tests:

Passmark: 3080ti = ~27000, 1080ti = ~20040

Links to the VR Mark scores:

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/vrpbr/122539/vrpbr/120364

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/vrpcr/79323/vrpcr/77473

The raw gain is about 35%, but it's no miracle. DCS runs really well, but nothing will run it maxed out in VR and give you 90fps; I was able to bring up my pixel density from .9 to 1.2 with better performance. Elite Dangerous is good. MSFS is still rubbish, though I was able to up the pixel density and get better frames, too. I'm betting iRacing will be happy

In the end it's a HUGE improvement if you can score one. I only use VR. If you use screens, it's a MASSIVE gain. For VR it's great.

Core System Specs:

i7-11700k, 64gb ram, NVME SSD

blue.PNG

cyan.PNG

orange.PNG

passmark.PNG

• Like 1

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Hi,
I just did the same upgrade. I initially was disappointed. I seemed exactly the same experience! Somehow it kept same driver/settings from the 1080ti.
I cleaned up old driver and installed anew. All changed!
I have textures high, shadows medium, water medium, visual range high, MSAAx4, AF x16 and the rest as usual for VR. I use Q2, so I maxed it out in Oculus setting with 90hz and 1x in DCS.
Now it really rocks and looks amazing. I've solid 45fps in SP in everything but Marianas or low level in Dubai city.
I had a problem though with MP. I was not passing 25fps! It turned out to be export.lua tacview line. Now I can reach 45 in MP but it sometimes goes down. The other exports don't seem to have an impact. I also use Jetseat and VRkneeboard.

My other computer specs are i5 9600k waterOC@3.7, 32G 3200 RAM, Samsung M.2 970Evo Plus for Windows 10 and 980 M.2 on PCIe adapter for DCS.

Cheers,
Mr.Well

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 7:04 AM, DeltaMike said:

Hm.  Define "maxed out" in VR terms... 

Answer depends on the headset-- watcha got?

VR is in my sig . "Maxed out" means exactly that...there are no PC's that are capable of running DCS fully maxed in VR at 90fps...even if it was the DK2.  Try it...turn all the settings to max/ultra/full and set PD to 1.  Any system will cry and then wither away to a sad death...in fact, i will try it later today with my Reverb...it will be fun. 

I will test the Tucano, SU27 and F16...I'll report what I learn. 

10 hours ago, mrwell said:

Hi,
I just did the same upgrade. I initially was disappointed. I seemed exactly the same experience! Somehow it kept same driver/settings from the 1080ti.
I cleaned up old driver and installed anew. All changed!
I have textures high, shadows medium, water medium, visual range high, MSAAx4, AF x16 and the rest as usual for VR. I use Q2, so I maxed it out in Oculus setting with 90hz and 1x in DCS.
Now it really rocks and looks amazing. I've solid 45fps in SP in everything but Marianas or low level in Dubai city.
I had a problem though with MP. I was not passing 25fps! It turned out to be export.lua tacview line. Now I can reach 45 in MP but it sometimes goes down. The other exports don't seem to have an impact. I also use Jetseat and VRkneeboard.

My other computer expect are i5 9600k waterOC@3.7, 32G 3200 RAM, Samsung M.2 970Evo Plus for Windows 10 and 980 M.2 on PCIe adapter for DCS.

Cheers,
Mr.Well

I'm running the 511.79 drivers and always do a clean installation when i update them.  I'm trying for 90 fps...i guess i should be happy with 45.  My pd is 1.2 and I don't use AA.  Vis is high.  I did get 90 in Nevada in the Tucano on the runway at some random airfield.  I'm still in the testing phase of the upgrade.  It is, in my opinion, a massive improvement over a 1080ti if you ask me. 

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Well, certainly maxing out the settings will amplify any differences between one GPU and another, so I can see the utility for benchmarking.  Not sure of the relevance for game play.  I don't think there's any GPU that will consistently run DCS at 90hz even at low settings.  Beyond that, there are certain settings that carry a GPU cost, with no discernible effect on visuals.  I question the value of increasing PD >1 on modern high res headsets, for much the same reason.  As you've seen, FPS only matters if you can cross some threshold (30, 45, 60, 90).  VR is different. 

• Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I maxed everything out and tested with the F16.  Surprisingly, the frame rates didn't tank to near zero.  Frame rates stayed at 45, GPU mem was maxed at 11.6 (wish I got a 3090).  With only one game asset, the CPU was not overloaded.  I went back to my original settings.

As indicated by DM, there are graphic settings that have no material improvement on visual quality but degrade performance...I have to go and investigate them again.  I like to increase PD instead of turning on AA...dunno which is better, I guess.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

With a reverb, if you're running higher than 3100x3100 pixels using any combination of settings, you are anti-aliasing via supersampling.  MSAA basically does the same thing only I think it's slightly more efficient and looks nicer.  Supersampling is more granular, so if you're stuck between MSAAx2 and MSAAx4 you could try that Steam SuperDooperSampling or whatever they call it.  It's OK I guess. 

Oddly DCS SSAA seems to be one of those things that uses GPU cycles and doesn't do anything. 

The combination of supersampling with a post processing filter might be interesting.  Can't mix MSAA with SMAA but you should be able to run your PD up a little and polish it up after the fact.  ReShade's SMAA filter is pretty decent, plus there are tools to adjust the color palette etc.  Also some trippy stuff if you're in the mood.  

You've got a beast of a GPU. If you can hold 45fps with everything maxed... I dunno man.  I wouldn't kick it to the curb just yet.  Good silicon is... well, good!

• Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

no, not gonna give up the 3080ti unless i score a 3090...I don't like utilities and tune only in my games from the options there - too many to track across iRacing, Elite Dangerous, FS2020 and DCS.  I turned on the Steam VR SS thing to on and upped the resolution to 118% while bringing the DCS PD back to 1.0.  I'm getting steady frame times of < 10ms, but this is with one plane on a basic airfield.  I do maintain >45 frames with Wags' F16 startup turorial mission...never drops below 45.  Overall it's a win, so cool.

We can throw hardware at DCS but ED can only optimize it better for VR...we have no control over that...and they really need to optimize DCS for VR in many ways. 

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare