what are your thoughts so far?

Sparc

At first, i was worried my pc was going to spaz out from frame issues but after toning down graphics she is butter smooth and im ok with that. i get to fly an apache. 

playing strictly on vr having the monocle on my right eye really adds to the immersion. i really get that feel i'd assume the real pilot gets when looking around with that in front of your eye. There's a lot to learn on this ship and i will gladly take my time. my wife will never see my face for months xD

thank you ED

• Like 3

Yeah my machine was a little twitchy from having SSLR on running VR, so I turned it off and it's running much better.  My first impression when I hit "Fly" was holy cow I am sitting in an Apache with the monocle on my face.  I remembered enough from the cold start vid to turn the systems on and see it project, just amazing immersion.  Cannot wait to really dig in and learn this thing, I haven't been this excited since the Hornet initially came out.

• Like 4

System: IBP Snowblind, i7-9700k, Zotac RTX2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 , Samsung 970 Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe, WD 1TB, Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM T.Flight Pedals, TM MFD's, Buddyfox A10C UFC

Modules/Maps: F/A-18C, A10C, UH-1H, F-15, F5, P51, F14, Caucasus, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I am also pretty impressed with this launch. Runs perfectly fine on my rig in VR with Rift S. The monocle is amazingly modeled in VR - you can't compare it to the 2D-version I saw in videos.

Clarity and readability of the MFD's is solid. I think I will enjoy the night flight time much more with that chopper.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

I hear it runs poorly on VR where other modules like the Hornet run fine.  Cant afford the Apache yet but this not bode well for me.  The Hornet runs well for me.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Runs smoothly on the 2D screen, but the pic in the loading screen when you choose the skin loads piece by piece. I can live with that. Nice graphics, nice sound, almost jumped out of my chair when I managed to get the gun to fire. The gun sounds good. Now I have to figure out how I got the gun to fire in the first place. 

I got George to listen to me and can handle the chopper pretty (kind of) smoothly from the gunner's seat. Points to ED for making it so smooth. Even if flying the thing and handling all the systems is a steep azz learning curve, getting George to fly smoothly, change directions, and hover while you try to figure out the weapons is really easy. That's a BIG plus. 

So far it looks to be a first class module.

• Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

So far, so good. I haven't had any issues in VR with performance any more than say the Hind. I also found that the Hind has some 3rd party cockpit textures that are half the resolution that apparently help with GPU performance as well - so if anyone is having some issues with performance due to the textures in the cockpit - maybe there will be some less detailed textures released by some artist soon that may help.

As for the bird itself - I'm loving it so far. The flight characterics are fun. I have so much to learn, but I'm already able to fly it, and get George to do a few things (plus shoot the gun myself) - so I'm wrapped! 

The monocle in VR is black magic. It's only in one eye - there's no rendering of anything in the left eye to give depth of field, yet it still feels like it's "right there". 

• Like 3

I found that if I untick fullscreen and vsync I get much better frames in 2d. 

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

I'm absolutely digging this thing. Best 50 bucks I've ever spent honestly.  I'm currently having an issue in training with the 30mm in co-pilot seat.  none of the buttons want to work. Its asking me to set right MFD to "soi" (using f16 terms here sorry) it works fine in pilots seat but not co-pilot. I'm gonna create a thread in the bug area but wanted to share w you guys. 

Edit: theres a dedicated control mapping for the CP/G

Edited by Sparc
  • Like 1

First impressions: It's simple to start and fairly straight forwards to operate once you learn where some of the stuff is. The chopper itself is a bit wobbly at low speed, much worse than Ka-50 with all AP channels off (my normal way of flying it). I'd say it's the most unstable chopper in game. VRS is a real danger with it, very Mi-8 like. It has some "interesting" handling characteristics that I'm still getting used to. I will say the AP is absolutely useless as is the trimmer. Not sure if realistic or not, but they are truly awful. Maybe I'm missing something though. It is pretty hilarious flying around with the AP button forward held, though.

In terms of weaponry, 16 hellfires and FLIR making it a hell of a ATGM spammer. I think we have something to finally dethrone the Ka-50 as the best tank buster in the game, though the Ka-50 still has some advantages. I haven't messed with the front seat yet (not even mapped controls), will be interesting to see just how far it can be pushed with a human gunner. I did notice the gun shoots a bit high when using the helmet sight. I've tried aligning it by the book and deliberately trying to skew it, haven't been able to get it to shoot straight yet. Maybe I'm missing something. It does have a nice RWR but the lack of a laser detector is problematic. Got nailed a few times by the T-80's missiles. It does seem the AI CPG doesn't want to shoot beyond 5km for some reason. Hence the tank return fire issue I ran into.

In terms of performance, I get roughly half the FPS I do with the Ka-50 in the exact same mission (about 30 fps instead of 60). I flew the Ka-50 after messing with the Apache to confirm. This is in VR with a 2080 Super, rest of specs in signature. The GPU is completely maxed out. I've also had 1 CTD in about 4 hours of play and the helmet sight alignment rings thingy refused to turn on after a few sorties. Had to restart DCS in order to get them to show again. Minor bug, but annoying.

Overall it's about what I expected. Pretty good missile spammer with good sensors. Flight performance is poor compared to both the Ka-50 and Hind, but that's to be expected. I expect it will be a favorite among chopper flyers, certainly a very capable aircraft and so far the release seems solid despite a few little bugs.

• Thanks 2

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

1 hour ago, BeastyBaiter said:

The GPU is completely maxed out. 

A modern GPU is designed to run a 100%, it just means your CPU is feeding enough information to keep it fully utilised, CPU at 100% seems to be viewed as more of a problem.

If your GPU is running at less than 100% then either in game gfx demands are very low or your CPU is bottlenecking your system.

• Like 1

First impressions:

- Not really happy with the flight model, I have hundred of hours in the Huey and it actually feels like flying an helicopter. Yesterday, when I tried the apache, I was taking off and trying to fly the thing, but it's kinda weird. The antitorque pedals are not really effective. The apache tends to turn continously. Also, it's almost impossible to do a hover. This evening I'll give it another try, maybe am I doing something wrong?

- I was doing the tutorials about the TSD and Gun firing, the avionics are AWESOME.

- Graphics are just awesome. I'd like some way to disable the kinda hanger in the left side.

In general I think it's a great module with lots of potential, but I still haven't got the feeling of flying the apache.

Edited by oleuzop
  • Like 1

Ok, so like most of you I had it on pre-order.  Unlike most of you I wasn't that hyped.  From Wag's videos it seemed overcomplicated, and cluttered.  I would fly it, but had already decided that I wasn't willing to invest the time to really learn it.

So again, like most of you I downloaded it last night, and fired up a quick cold-start mission.  There is something about this module which seems to have raised the bar.  The little details, the monocle rendered in VR, with what seems to be correct focal distances.  The dynamic elements in the cockpit.  The parallax error and lag on the PNVS seem so real in their execution.  Imperfection is digital perfection.  The flight model seems good (IANAAP) and the systems aren't too complicated once you can play with them yourself.  Performance in VR is no worse than any other module I have, and the new FLIR looks great.

I think ED have exceeded all expectations here.  BZ to all the team, well done on a first class module!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

23 minutes ago, oleuzop said:

First impressions:

- Not really happy with the flight model, I have hundred of hours in the Huey and it actually feels like flying an helicopter. Yesterday, when I tried the apache, I was taking off and trying to fly the thing, but it's kinda weird. The antitorque pedals are not really effective. The apache tends to turn continously. Also, it's almost impossible to do a hover. This evening I'll give it another try, maybe am I doing something wrong?

I think, that is just you being tuned on the Huey FM. I'm flying the Hip most of the time and kind of had the same feeling in the beginning, but I think it's just the large amount of muscle memory you build up in a helicopter. Really hard to reset that and tune in on a different helicopter. Not that you can't fly it - but it feels weird.

Edit: also I needed to adjust the curves quite a bit.

2 minutes ago, Lace said:

Ok, so like most of you I had it on pre-order.  Unlike most of you I wasn't that hyped.  From Wag's videos it seemed overcomplicated, and cluttered.  I would fly it, but had already decided that I wasn't willing to invest the time to really learn it.

So again, like most of you I downloaded it last night, and fired up a quick cold-start mission.  There is something about this module which seems to have raised the bar.  The little details, the monocle rendered in VR, with what seems to be correct focal distances.  The dynamic elements in the cockpit.  The parallax error and lag on the PNVS seem so real in their execution.  Imperfection is digital perfection.  The flight model seems good (IANAAP) and the systems aren't too complicated once you can play with them yourself.  Performance in VR is no worse than any other module I have, and the new FLIR looks great.

I think ED have exceeded all expectations here.  BZ to all the team, well done on a first class module!

From my first short try with VR in the Apache, I must say that it seemed pretty much perfect. Cockpit size, visuals and no apparent problems with performance.

I ran into problems with a distorted Image though. When I move my head, the scenery warped. I assume that this problem results from the latest steam VR update, but I couldn't sort it out yet.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I really like it. The monacle being in view is a nice touch but I haven't made my mind up whether I'll play with it like that or select it off (it sort of spoils the view a little).

In terms of flying the machine, ED (and the other devs) always impress with how they can make aircraft feel so different from each other even though I'm sitting at a desk with a cheap HOTAS. I've got the Hind, the Huey and the Apache. The Hind is an absolute pig to fly and because of that, I just don't play it very much, it's a great module but I find I don't like it because it's so uncomfortable to fly. The Huey is nice and easy and the Apache sits somewhere in between what with it being a bit more twitchy but at least once the force trim is used its nice and stable.

Haven't touched the weapons yet but as it appears to be pretty much a rotor A-10, I suspect I'll enjoy them too.

• Like 1

I made the mistake of being too keen to get up in the air and didn't spend enough time setting or, perhaps more importantly learning, my controls.

It looks like I'm going to have to start again and take my time, hopefully with the aid of someone else's expertly put-together and generously uploaded TM Warthog profile.  🙂

The Apache definitely looks like it is going to be worth that effort. 

Many thanks ED 

I have yet to set up the controls properly, but after not long at all I can fly, fire the guns and rockets, and interact with George. I thought it was going to be much worse just to get some basic stuff done and have some fun.

It's a very well put together module.

14 minutes ago, VDV said:

how i can command George to fly to a waypoint?

Don't command... ask nicely. :smoke:

Wags has a quick George tutorial video and others are out or will be out soon. I got George to turn the chopper 90 degrees and not crash. I feel like a brain surgeon.

• Like 2