what are your thoughts so far?

Sparc

watch youtube much?

• Like 1

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

damn right mate! I guess you fly in VR?

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

27 minutes ago, AbuMuqawama said:

Using the gun with the helmet mounted sight gave me a massive grin. It's a fun aircraft, co-op or not.

Yeah, every DCS pilot knows it. You get surprised by that one ZSU-23 position behind that treeline. When seeing the tracers coming at you, you not only evade, but evade and immediately get some rounds back at this guy.😡 Could be you forget this during your first flights, but you get used to that option very fast!😀

Or even better: aim for a rocket attack of your CP/G (COOP) and look to the site, aiming and firing your gun on the guy mentioned above. Keep her steady so your CP/G gets some rockets off the launchers and keep surpressing that guy down there!

Little crazy to aim the gun with your head, and line up the aircraft on that rocket "I-cursor" at the same time while looking 90° to the site and down.

In this situation the IHADDS fully pays out!

Most VR users will tell you, they would never go back to 2d.

Same for me, BUT with the Apache it's even more... It was absolutely made for VR and if you hesitated until now, or playing with it to get a VR headset, DO IT KNOW and thank me later!

I can truely say: I never had more fun in DCS and I'm here since LOMAC and just starting with MP multicrew and stuff.

Edited by Niehorst
  • Like 1

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

10 minutes ago, Niehorst said:

Same for me, BUT with the Apache it's even more... It was absolutely made for VR and if you hesitated until now, or playing with it to get a VR headset, DO IT KNOW and thank me later!

Same here, the Apache is indeed best in VR. Throw in co-op and it's certainly a go to aircraft and I tend to be a single seat fixed wing guy.

On 3/28/2022 at 12:47 PM, Beirut said:

Right here, brother. Positive as of Saturday. Feeling pretty decent - looks up and gives thanks 🕉️  - but it does mean I have some time to fly. 

As far as the Apache goes, the biggest thing with me is still the night vision. It's a work of art. At least 50% of the reason I bought the module was for the cutting edge eye candy and I'm impressed from stem to stern.

I’m at the other end of the spectrum, every one in my family has it except me, so I’m getting very little flying time! 

What time I have had has been great though. I could never land the Huey, I’d always get VRS or something, and just drop like a rock. I can land the Apache and have managed to get it on the deck of a moving carrier. It wasn’t pretty and I’m sure a real pilot would actually puke if they saw it, but it didn’t explode so I was happy. 😀

Weapons are a different matter, I honestly couldn’t hit a barn door from three paces away. 🤪

Oh and this is the module the SimShaker was made for.

Only bummer is not really being able to use the flir as it tanks my performance, that and not having a cpg with a pulse.

• Like 1

Dream come true. Not much else to say.

To go into details, I've been flying in SP only, no VR. George is quite good enough (although he could be more active on finding targets), and it's nice to be flying and use George to do the shooting. Then I can sneak into a hover position, jump to CPG seat and let George handle hovering and small movements, and shoot some missiles and gun myself.

Some minor issues with some missions, but otherwise everything is working smoothly. Would sure be nice to have a friend to play with...

For me the Apache module is totally broken. This is not what I expected for an early access.

After a thorough analysis of the bugs&problems section and the rest of the forum content I have to certify:

• No thread or complaints about a questionable flight model
  • No dramatic size, scale or modelling issues
  • No complaints about unsatisfying extent of early access content within the module

Further more

• In-game adaptation of monocle and sights gets absurd high approval from community
  • No complaints about any in game access barriers regarding the complex systems

And finally (most alarming!)

• The module creates a suspicious pull effect on fixed wing guys suddenly discovering their love for helicopters

It has to be pointed out that the fact that some pilots experience FPS problems, is no compensation for the mentioned list of shortcomings.

What’s going on here?
Come on Eagle Dynamics!
Either you fix this module instantly, or…

…I will go to the extreme and consider the Apache as a new milestone in the history of ED and I will feel as a valued customer.

Sorry, but sometimes the truth has to be told.

Edited by Rifter
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Rifter said:

For me the Apache module is totally broken. This is not what I expected for an early access.

After a thorough analysis of the bugs&problems section and the rest of the forum content I have to certify:

• No complaints about unsatisfying extent of early access content within the module

Further more

• In-game adaptation of monocle and sights gets absurd high approval from community

• The module creates a suspicious pull effect on fixed wing guys suddenly discovering their love for helicopters

It has to be pointed out that the fact that some pilots experience FPS problems, is no compensation for the mentioned list of shortcomings.

What’s going on here?
Come on Eagle Dynamics!

…I will go to the extreme and consider the Apache as a new milestone in the history of ED and I will feel as a valued customer.

What? Sorry, but I can't decipher your post.

What exactly do you feel broken with the module. The lack of complaints in the forum is a sign to you, that something is not ok? 

The fact that the module attracts new helicopter pilots (former fixed wing pilots) is a problem to you? Why?

What exactly is wrong with the monocle implementation?

EDIT: Or was that meant ironic? If yes - sorry, totally went past me.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

8 minutes ago, Hiob said:

What exactly do you feel broken with the module. The lack of complaints in the forum is a sign to you, that something is not ok? 

The fact that the module attracts new helicopter pilots (former fixed wing pilots) is a problem to you? Why?

What exactly is wrong with the monocle implementation?

I think he's being sarcastic, and actually praises the module, and the excellent shape it is in at early acces launch 😉

Well that's how I see it. People often compare to how dramatic the F16 EA launch was; but I was ok with the F16 EA launch; it had it's flaws, but I was conscious it was EA, and I was glad I got to enjoy it even if it wasn't fully ready yet.

I knew the module would only get better over time... and boy it did!!

For my ED has delivered time and time again; and that is thanks to the dedication of their team.

9 minutes ago, Hiob said:

And thus his point. It was an effort towards amusement and confusion. 

Fortunately for him flightsimheads are easily amused and confused. :happy:

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

1 minute ago, Varry007 said:

I think he's being sarcastic, and actually praises the module, and the excellent shape it is in at early acces launch 😉

That would explain. Missed that....😅

Just now, Beirut said:

And thus his point. It was an effort towards amusement and confusion. 

Fortunately for him flightsimheads are easily amused and confused. :happy:

Probably because we're certainly more used to people complaining and nit picking than praising... 😅

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

21 minutes ago, Hiob said:

we're certainly more used to people complaining and nit picking

No, no ... I will never get used to such people, they piss my mood a lot ...  so much so, that recurring offenders usually end up on my ignore list 😒

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 minute ago, Rudel_chw said:

No, no ... I will never get used to such people, they piss my mood a lot ...  so much so, that recurring offenders usually end up on my ignore list 😒

I don't have an ignore list (I'm probably more forgiving than I should be) but I can understand you.

But I didn't even think of the more annoying offenders, but of the usual "pointing out an (real and or perceived) issue" folks.

Which is kind of normal for such a forum, I think. Well, people are more likely to articulate if something is off, than when everything is well and fine.

• ED Team
1 hour ago, Rifter said:

Further more

What’s going on here?
Come on Eagle Dynamics!

Getting in the Aprils fools spirit I see, I did have a chuckle reading it. However sarcasm does not always work in text 🙂

Yes it has been a good launch for our AH-64D, early access continues and more work to come. User reports have helped us a lot to get things reported and we are grateful. 

thanks

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

3 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Getting in the Aprils fools spirit I see, I did have a chuckle reading it. However sarcasm does not always work in text 🙂

Yes it has been a good launch for our AH-64D, early access continues and more work to come. User reports have helped us a lot to get things reported and we are grateful. 

thanks

Oh f..., yes. It is April, 1st. Missed that, too..... 🤪

Feeling a bit stupid right now..... 🙈

4 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Oh f..., yes. It is April, 1st. Missed that, too..... 🤪

I would have liked to have seen ED announce Mavericks on the Apache. 😁

But the tears that would have flowed afterwards, oh my. 

• Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

I am so sorry for any misunderstanding. Our community here of course is multi-cultural and using text alone is not always the best way of transporting a portion of sarcasm. I hoped for the today’s date being hint enough…

So now without any confusing humour: In the past every helicopter mission or campaign I played which included AI-driven AH-64s, created a sigh of ‘will we ever be able to fly them ourselves’ on my side. And now after 2 weeks I still catch my self being like a child and switching and toggling my way through the menus of the MPDs enjoying the pure fact that we have this thing now.

For my first self-build mission I included a sound sample from the movie Firebirds with the immortal words of Tommy Lee Jones: ‘Put your hands here, here and there, put your feet, here, here, here and here and do not step here or there.’ - couldn’t stop my broad grin for the rest of the mission.

• 1 month later...

My first air combat sim was Microprose's F15 Strike Eagle, waaaay back in the 80's. Targets and runways were depicted as purple triangular lines, with moving grid lines representing the ground... and we loved it, because it was cutting edge for home consumers... It was..., MAGIC!

Fast forward some 35 years, to DCS and the AH64... Warts and all, hats off to the DCS team...! The Apache in VR is beyond my wildest dreams of 35+ years ago... Despite the growing pains of early access, from my well aged perspective, The DCS Apache is, IMHO, the best combat helo sim ever produced for desktop rotorheads, and I've logged lots of time in pretty much all of them...

DCS AH64 newbs should expect a good deal of challenge and frustration while climbing the learning curve. as this module is clearly breaking new ground... While this may sound negative, the satisfaction grows proportionally as you learn to master this spirited beast, and is well worthy of the investment of time in learning, tweaking, and adjusting...

Using the forums to HELP the DCS team is a noble gesture, whining and nitpicking is not... Perhaps a bit of introspection of each individual's expectations would be in order....

I believe that the DCS team has consistently pumped out the best products to the best of their abilities, for their very livelihoods depend upon it, and I, for one, pop tall and salute them for their efforts...!

If you are bent out of shape because you feel that they have made bad decisions or compromises, then I suggest you learn how to code, raise lots of venture capital, and show them how it is done... I have lots of money for you once you succeed...!

I don't have to wonder how the Army would react to a perspective Apache pilot in training telling them they needed to change something because they didn't agree with the way the Apache was designed, or it was too hard... Adapt and overcome soldier...!

Sims will always have compromises due to the fact that they are, well, simulations... At least you get a do-over when you die... How "REALISTIC" do you really want it to be...?

I, for one, will keep things in perspective, and enjoy watching and flying as the Devs polish this work of art... It's magic...!

Edited by Skyzhawk
  • Like 3

I have over 70 hours logged in so far with my training on the Apache and getting through the learning curve. I am almost there and while it can get frustrating trying to learn new things it is quite rewarding in the end. Loving this Apache, been waiting for it since Janes Longbow 1 and II. And in VR it is truly incredible.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Spoiler

On 3/31/2022 at 1:32 AM, Niehorst said:

I doubt that stat, sounds more like an opinion. I love VR for just tooling around and flying under bridges and stuff, but for serious missions there is just too much I need a full keyboard and clear vision for and after 20 minutes it starts to get uncomfortable to boot. I have a triple screen setup that works fine for 2d missions and is clear as can be.

Edited by pii

Loving the module. Had the hovering down quite good. But after position hold was implemented, it made engaging from behind cover much more enjoyable.

Making use of the TSD for positioning. Planing your entry and exit.

Plenty to focus on until the FCR gets implemented.

On 5/15/2022 at 2:32 PM, Skyzhawk said:

My first air combat sim was Microprose's F15 Strike Eagle, waaaay back in the 80's.

Also Mine! I loved how all you had to do to land and have a successful mission was to dive into a triangle on the ground at full afterburner, no runways back then.

We've come a long way, baby!