what are your thoughts so far?

Sparc

15 hours ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

I'm impressed thus far.

This is an incredibly easy helicopter to pick up. It may be the easiest in DCS beyond the Black Shark. Once you start to understand the systems and what goes on, it's a breeze.

I agree. I am actually shocked that after a couple hours I had it flying, fighting and navigating from the back seat. What an intuitive machine, I am by no means great with the A-10's systems or even the Harrier's but this one just seemed to click after a very short amount of time. Hats off to ED 🙆‍♂️

• Like 1

20 hours ago, evilnate said:

Ah, damn.

After some testing, it seems that my performance problems are only happening on the Syria map.  If I load up in any of the other maps the AH performs like my other modules but each time I return to a instant action mission in Syria everything goes to crap.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, toutenglisse said:

Much thanks ED team for the Apache ! Thanks to all people involded in this module, you are delivering an awesome masterpiece of simulation. I use VR and every aspect of flying and fighting in the Apache in DCS feels like a privilege. My expectations are highly overshot.

I put on on Dark Side of the Moon and have been staring at your avatar for an hour... ⚛️

One of the main reasons I bought the Apache was for the fancy night vision eye-candy and I'm not disappointed at all. This thing is gorgeous at night. The NVGs are crystal clear and the monocle FLIR is beautiful. What a great machine for night flying. And blowing **** up at night looks great too. 

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

On 3/17/2022 at 10:45 PM, BeastyBaiter said:

First impressions: It's simple to start and fairly straight forwards to operate once you learn where some of the stuff is. The chopper itself is a bit wobbly at low speed, much worse than Ka-50 with all AP channels off (my normal way of flying it). I'd say it's the most unstable chopper in game. VRS is a real danger with it, very Mi-8 like. It has some "interesting" handling characteristics that I'm still getting used to. I will say the AP is absolutely useless as is the trimmer. Not sure if realistic or not, but they are truly awful. Maybe I'm missing something though. It is pretty hilarious flying around with the AP button forward held, though.

In terms of weaponry, 16 hellfires and FLIR making it a hell of a ATGM spammer. I think we have something to finally dethrone the Ka-50 as the best tank buster in the game, though the Ka-50 still has some advantages. I haven't messed with the front seat yet (not even mapped controls), will be interesting to see just how far it can be pushed with a human gunner. I did notice the gun shoots a bit high when using the helmet sight. I've tried aligning it by the book and deliberately trying to skew it, haven't been able to get it to shoot straight yet. Maybe I'm missing something. It does have a nice RWR but the lack of a laser detector is problematic. Got nailed a few times by the T-80's missiles. It does seem the AI CPG doesn't want to shoot beyond 5km for some reason. Hence the tank return fire issue I ran into.

In terms of performance, I get roughly half the FPS I do with the Ka-50 in the exact same mission (about 30 fps instead of 60). I flew the Ka-50 after messing with the Apache to confirm. This is in VR with a 2080 Super, rest of specs in signature. The GPU is completely maxed out. I've also had 1 CTD in about 4 hours of play and the helmet sight alignment rings thingy refused to turn on after a few sorties. Had to restart DCS in order to get them to show again. Minor bug, but annoying.

Overall it's about what I expected. Pretty good missile spammer with good sensors. Flight performance is poor compared to both the Ka-50 and Hind, but that's to be expected. I expect it will be a favorite among chopper flyers, certainly a very capable aircraft and so far the release seems solid despite a few little bugs.

I too get some pretty bad FPS, and have Win11, Nvidia 2080-ti video, 4.2 ghz cpu, etc..etc... I bumped my anti-aliasing down to off... helped a bit.. dumbed down some other setting a bit, I hate to really removed the good graphics...

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

On 3/18/2022 at 3:10 PM, Raven434th said:

IMO its the same issue as with the Hind...the first rendition was too twitchy for the average worn out user's HOTAS...the FM is too tight and unforgiving for most average setups...it needs a "forgiving" tweak same as the hind. Multiplayer will be even worse in this case due to obvious reasons. A little less twitchyness would make it enjoyable as opposed to a frustrating experience(I say this as someone who flies all helo's in DCS and not as a beginner) the beginner will struggle  needlessly and be "put off" IMO. Not everyone, but I believe a lot will be. With that said its all dependent on type and quality of HOTAS .

Well I guess now we know HOW they can improve the FM in regards to the "twitchyness"...fix the trim method to stop the "trim jump" for a start. Although in all fairness I have no idea HOW they would do it.

Edited by Raven434th
  • Thanks 1

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

IMHO it´s a solid realease, in the context of this Open Beta release. There are things to polish, for example the adition of a center trim option, wich I think it´s on its way, other things are going to adress according as the development progress towards the stable version. In my case there´s a long way in order to learn all the systems and stuff that has come with this bird.

Edited by elchacal

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"what are your thoughts so far?"

Loving it. I really do. It was a first day buy for me and it's great. Now I just have to catch up to it but I'm getting there.

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

Waited over 20 years since Janes Longbow 2. Totally worth it. This is my new DCS aircraft of choice. It has so many cool features.

RWS+CMWS really help to stay alive. PNVS makes night ops really interesting. Shooting rockets and the gun is really nice in VR... and so much more.

Great piece of art by ED and it will only get better if all those little bugs get busted.

I just love the Apache. Her handling is very intuitive and the already integrated systems give you a ton of tactical choices and situational awareness. 

I had high hopes, but I was actually very positively surprised.
Really well done, ED & SMEs.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

On 3/18/2022 at 12:56 PM, Tepnox said:

The KA-50 will always be my one-seat favorite of all times. Hoping for a good BS3-release in the near future.

But right now I am riding on the Apache hype train and give this module a chance. Let's see how well it gets supported and fixed by ED the next months.

Yeah I like the KA-50 better, that thing is a flying sniper rifle. But the radar on the longbow will change alot when it becomes active.

...thoughts so far?

where is the covid infection when you need one..?

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

I've bought the module, which is my first helicopter in DCS, and initial impressions are it's really good, very immersive and great in VR.

However, after my initial tryout learning to taxi, takeoff, hover and navigate, I think I will shelve it for now.

I don't have a great deal of spare time so will wait for better optimisation (a bit choppy), more content, updates, training missions, control profiles, campaigns etc. etc. Lazy I know but I need to spend my limited free time on more polished modules like the A-10C Tank Killer and the F/A-18.

It will be fun though in a few months!

- Michael

Intel Core i7 13700K | RTX 4070 | ASUS TUF Z690 | Pimax Crystal | Virpil/Warthog HOTAS

Really happy with the Apache module, amazing work.

Disappointed about VR performance atm but if we can get that sorted (appreciate there is probably a much wider DCS World issue going on there), absolutely this has the potential to be one of the best heli sims of all time. I think the Apache performance in VR feels worse than other modules I've tried possibly because of the early release could just be the high quality visuals of the cockpit.

Thoughts:

- dead easy to start up

- more difficult to fly than say the Huey because of its VRS, which I assume is because of it’s mass

- took a number of days to optimally map my rig and get used to the systems.  I think that I’ve got them now, just need to speed up my processes

- visuals, as per normal in DCS, awesome

- incredibly immersive.  I fly in VR with a jetseat.  For me, probably the most immersive I’ve had in an flight sim

Great job by ED!  My thanks to all the devs and testers.

If you’re unsure, just do it

Edited by Mr_sukebe

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

For the first iteration of an early access release, I can’t really complain. There’re some minor QOL issues, bugs, missing features, etc. but in a year it should be great like the Hornet and the Viper.  MP with a copilot is a lot of fun. 

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I'm really loving the apache, I feel like this is a very good release for EA.

I can do basically everything I want with it, and it feels very polished, a lot of fun also. I have not encountered any bugs so far.

Now I'm just waiting for them to add 1200 rounds of gun ammo and the auto track function with TADS

I really like the Apache, it is smooth flying and the release was amazing. I don't find it "twitchy" at all - can be flown with no curves and no extension.

What I think is really great, is the massive coverage and help provided by the many real pilots. 

Next level for me is trying the multicrew feature, never really bothered before but this module seems to shine in that regard.

On 3/26/2022 at 1:36 AM, Niehorst said:

...thoughts so far?

where is the covid infection when you need one..?

Right here, brother. Positive as of Saturday. Feeling pretty decent - looks up and gives thanks 🕉️  - but it does mean I have some time to fly. 

As far as the Apache goes, the biggest thing with me is still the night vision. It's a work of art. At least 50% of the reason I bought the module was for the cutting edge eye candy and I'm impressed from stem to stern.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!