VR FPS

Jarhead0331

31 minutes ago, dax said:

After a few tests I can confirm that Textures on High is definitely killing fps.

With my usual settings, I get 45fps with all modules, in my Reverb G2.
In the Apache, I'm only around 20-25. Simply changing Textures to Medium and I get 45fps in the Apache too.

(Intel 11900k, RTX 3080TI, 32Gb Ram)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This is definitely the culprit. Now ED needs to figure out why high textures cause frame rates to crash only on this module and only on certain systems, but not others. As noted earlier in the thread, I also tried the Apache on my amd 5900x Radeon 6900xt rig and those textures are on high without the frame rate loss.

Edited by Jarhead0331

has anyone actually tried to turn the monocle off by default in the special settings and see if that helps?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

I'm on a Pimax 8KX and set it low and still get only 6 fps in Syria map, on MP. I'm not able to play online my memory is over my 32GB of ram. SP no issues.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

32 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

has anyone actually tried to turn the monocle off by default in the special settings and see if that helps?

I have tried most of the suggestions and none helped at all for me 😞

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

The F16 training taxi/takeoff mission is my benchmark it's smooth and pegged at 45.  I'm on a 5600x and a 3080 and pur at 45 with the G2 100/150/1.0/x2 and high settings.  If I load a mission I made with only 1 apache I get the same performance.  Training Apache missions will tax me on FPS.  MP can get really bad.  But I've also noticed that the same F16 trainer will suddenly run crappy.   Re-launching random parts of this process up to and including rebooting the computer will solve it...night/day.  I just cannot figure out what it is.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gotcha. I would have figured since its a 3d render in just one eye only it could cause an issue; but seems like its a graphics file size; cant quite squeeze those big textures out of a DVI port. I wonder how big those textures really are, but honestly in medium they look fine to me...cant really tell a difference between the two.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Textures medium completely solved it for me. It was the only change I made, and it is night and day different. Back to almost Hornet levels.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

35 minutes ago, paulferris said:

interesting... I can see no difference in fps when switching from high textures (where I'm getting 35-40 in training missions) to medium.

i7700k (o'clocked to 4.8)

3080Ti

32 gigs ram

SS at 1.7 (in OTT)

That to my mind points to VRAM being the issue for people that do see a difference, my 3080 is 10GB vs. 12 for you and negligible GPU compute differences.

Ive mentioned it being an OOM issue with regards to VRAM. It consistently exceeds 12gb on high settings; FYI, I am using a 3080ti as well and I can vouch for that.

My wallpaper and skins

Same here - erratic VR behaviour - sometimes hitting smooth FPS and then becoming a Powerpoint Presentation. I noticed that the memory usage gets extremely high (I have 32GB and it loads up to 16GB on a very simple training mission I created in Syria - 7 ground units and my Apache). When I take my Oculus 2 off memory drops to 6-9 GB. And then jumps up when I put it back on again. Switching TADS on in pilot seat just kills FPS and becomes unflyable.

Lowering Texture to Medium has helped a lot - smoother flight and most importantly consistent FPS!

My System:

MB: MSI Z790-P, CPU: i7-13700K @ 5.4 GHz,  RAM: Corsair DDR5 64GB 6400MHz, SSD: NVMe Crucial P3 Plus 4TB, Nvidia 3080, Oculus Quest 2

45 minutes ago, paulferris said:

interesting... I can see no difference in fps when switching from high textures (where I'm getting 35-40 in training missions) to medium.

i7700k (o'clocked to 4.8)

3080Ti

32 gigs ram

SS at 1.7 (in OTT)

Probably because your system is not effected by the problem. 35-40 is decent. The problem I had was entirely tanked frame rate…like in the 10s and teens compared to in the 50s and 60s in other modules. It was a God damn slideshow. 

22 minutes ago, Jarhead0331 said:

Probably because your system is not effected by the problem. 35-40 is decent. The problem I had was entirely tanked frame rate…like in the 10s and teens compared to in the 50s and 60s in other modules. It was a God damn slideshow. 

yes, looks like I'm one of the lucky ones - but I thought it might be helpful to list my specs (where my CPU is no longer considered high end) to aid in the search for the cause of the problem

I think people should be a bit reserved in blindly stating "the apache I'd unplayable the vr". It may be for some depending on hardware and settings but for many of us it is perfectly fine. There are so many variables in getting everything to run smoothly, from Windows, wmr, svr, other apps and background processes running. I'd always start with some good pc hygiene and check the system thoroughly outside of dcs. 

I've been getting excellent performance with g2, 6900xt and 3800xt. Running native resolution in sp and mp. Mp is noticeably lower fps and higher frame times but quite acceptable. Sp is totally smooth even with ihadds, flir, pnvs and anything else running. 

I even saw improvements in performance with the latest patch. 

I think I finally nailed the config:

1) DCS: textures to medium 😞

2) Oculus, refresh rate to 80Mhz

3) Oculus bump resolution to 4864x 2448 

The rest of my DCS config was not changed. This gives me sharp cockpits with locked 40fps for the Apache and the other modules (I see lots of spikes of 80fps in the other modules)

Perhaps, the folks that are reporting that they are good, should mention their refresh rates for the devices. It was the critical element for me.

1 hour ago, Draken35 said:

I think I finally nailed the config:

1) DCS: textures to medium 😞

2) Oculus, refresh rate to 80Mhz

3) Oculus bump resolution to 4864x 2448 

The rest of my DCS config was not changed. This gives me sharp cockpits with locked 40fps for the Apache and the other modules (I see lots of spikes of 80fps in the other modules)

Perhaps, the folks that are reporting that they are good, should mention their refresh rates for the devices. It was the critical element for me.

Ill give this a go right now and report back. I have always used 80 hz, but had it full to the right for resolution. I even tried the medium, which turned everything SUPER blurry and unreadable for me, performance wise it was great but looks wise not so much

Ryzen 7 5800x w/ PBO on, RTX 3070ti w/ OC, 32 GB RAM @3000 | Quest 2, Virpil Joystick, Throttle, and Rudder

12 minutes ago, SmeagleGoneWild said:

Ill give this a go right now and report back. I have always used 80 hz, but had it full to the right for resolution. I even tried the medium, which turned everything SUPER blurry and unreadable for me, performance wise it was great but looks wise not so much

My PD in DCS is 1.0 btw.

Made a huge difference to me when I went from texture quality medium to low. On medium it was unplayable in many occasions, on low it's good.

So if texture quality from high to medium does not make it playable for you try at low and see if that works. Medium was not enough for me.

Edited by arneh

Maybe a good start point should be to use the same reference. I used instant action / caucasus / runway start. So we could wee who can achieve better than other and maybe understand why...

Here is my testing : No mods. Motion smoothing disabled.

Unfortunatelly I can not do screencopy with fpsVR, so I used windows tool which created some orange in GPU, but in game it is still green.

Is fpsVR is true, I'm really near 30 fps (I had 32-34 fps) because of CPU saturation...

CaptureAH64.JPG

30 fps is no go...this is the limit for stuttering.

Setting texture to low is not changing anything.

My config: I8700k @4.8 Gz, 32 GB, 3080Ti, RevergG1, no SS.

My settings:

["graphics"] = {
		["DOF"] = 0,
		["LensEffects"] = 0,
		["MSAA"] = 1,
		["SSAA"] = 0,
		["SSAO"] = 0,
		["SSLR"] = 0,
		["anisotropy"] = 4,
		["aspect"] = 1.3333333333333,
		["box_mouse_cursor"] = false,
		["chimneySmokeDensity"] = 4,
		["civTraffic"] = "low",
		["clouds"] = 1,
		["clutterMaxDistance"] = 0,
		["cockpitGI"] = 0,
		["effects"] = 3,
		["flatTerrainShadows"] = 1,
		["forestDetailsFactor"] = 0.9,
		["forestDistanceFactor"] = 0.8,
		["fullScreen"] = false,
		["heatBlr"] = 0,
		["height"] = 1080,
		["lights"] = 2,
		["messagesFontScale"] = 1,
		["motionBlur"] = 0,
		["multiMonitorSetup"] = "1camera",
		["outputGamma"] = 2.2,
		["preloadRadius"] = 150000,
		["rainDroplets"] = true,
		["scaleGui"] = 1,
		["sceneryDetailsFactor"] = 1,
		["shadowTree"] = false,
		["shadows"] = 2,
		["sync"] = false,
		["terrainTextures"] = "max",
		["textures"] = 2,
		["useDeferredShading"] = 1,
		["visibRange"] = "High",
		["water"] = 2,
		["width"] = 1920,
	},

Edited by lefuneste01

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

1 hour ago, Draken35 said:

My PD in DCS is 1.0 btw.

image.png

Got really good performance id say, generally pretty smooth and the textures were good enough to read. Maybe not as bad as i had thought it would be going from high to medium. A couple things i noticed;

1. When going in for attack runs, once targets were destroyed (This is done on hoggit training server), the smoke or something maybe even the flames caused my forced 40fps to drop to about 20 but would come back as i flew away, it was enough to feel it in the headset but nothing that would stop me from flying away kind of thing.

2. The blurriness i earlier spoke about was most likely linked to the "airlink" feature. This past test was done with the link cable as to rid any other varibles that would cause blurriness.

I should also note that i have an OTT profile

image.png

Here are some charts for your analytical pleasure lol

image.png

image.png

Edited by SmeagleGoneWild
Adding some charts

Ryzen 7 5800x w/ PBO on, RTX 3070ti w/ OC, 32 GB RAM @3000 | Quest 2, Virpil Joystick, Throttle, and Rudder

On 3/18/2022 at 2:52 PM, Steel Jaw said:

Try dropping textures to medium.

id say ED needs more beta testers but with EA and the beta DCS *we* are the beta testers.

Ergo, that’s why it’s “early release.”

• Like 1

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1