VR FPS

Jarhead0331

3 hours ago, Robi Hobby said:

@Hammer 1-1

OK , much better now !  Have about 22 FPS  😉

whats your hardware like? with my setup, I get 45 in VR with those settings.

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

3 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

whats your hardware like? with my setup, I get 45 in VR with those settings.

Also have to take in consideration the type of mission, how many units are placed etc, which I think a lot of people forget about.

1 minute ago, JSpidey said:

Also have to take in consideration the type of mission, how many units are placed etc, which I think a lot of people forget about.

That may be, but Im seeing my settings pretty universal on situations for the first 40 minutes of gameplay.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

4 minutes ago, JSpidey said:

Have you tried joining a MP server that's running a decently sized dynamic campaign?

oh yeah. Ive my settings not maxed out, plus Im using OpenXR that helps immensely. I took the time to get my settings good for online play and balanced a bunch of stuff. Everyone should do that instead of just playing DCS with Windows settings out of box. Im sorry, but there are a ton of things ppl can do to help their FPS in VR. Hell I even had decent fps in DCS with my old 1080ti in vr, so theres really no excuse unless obviously your hardware cant handle it. That I can understand.

My wallpaper and skins

43 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

oh yeah. Ive my settings not maxed out, plus Im using OpenXR that helps immensely. I took the time to get my settings good for online play and balanced a bunch of stuff. Everyone should do that instead of just playing DCS with Windows settings out of box. Im sorry, but there are a ton of things ppl can do to help their FPS in VR. Hell I even had decent fps in DCS with my old 1080ti in vr, so theres really no excuse unless obviously your hardware cant handle it. That I can understand.

Well I'm running an RTX 3080 OC 10GB, i9 9900k OC 5.1, 32 GB RAM with DCS installed on a Samsung 980 Pro SSD and still have issues with everything on low/off except AF on 4X and visibility on medium.. so Idk

And that tells me you need to tweak! My computer isnt much better than yours, and Im running DCS maxed out at 4x MSAA but with clouds on medium. For some odd reason, clouds ultra in VR is an FPS killer. I have DCS installed on a PNY M.2 NVMe drive on a Ti card, probably the only thing I have over your system. Its a killer and Ive had it since 2018. Only thing Ive change on this computer is the video card.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

17 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

And that tells me you need to tweak! My computer isnt much better than yours, and Im running DCS maxed out at 4x MSAA but with clouds on medium. For some odd reason, clouds ultra in VR is an FPS killer. I have DCS installed on a PNY M.2 NVMe drive on a Ti card, probably the only thing I have over your system. Its a killer and Ive had it since 2018. Only thing Ive change on this computer is the video card.

Not sure what else I can tweak.... I can't play with vis on low it's terrible, I even have VRperfkit downscaled to .7 with no upscaling...

The very first place you start with tweaking is taskmanager. If you're like me and you got a lot of LEDs, the first thing you should always shut off is the software controlling it - Asus Aura, Corsair iCue, stuff like that...then you start shutting down unnecessary windows services like spools if you dont have a printer, etc.

You look to free up as much physical memory as you can, as well as VRAM because performance problems are almost all related to out of memory problems. The biggest mod that gave me the most performance was the OpenXR mod that other people are using here...the threads here somewhere.If you're using Windows Mixed Reality portal, and have to go through SteamVR, that was a MAJOR upgrade for my playability. Literally was worth almost as much as a new video card.

Process Lasso would be a great place to start...and just FYI I dont use that anymore either because on Windows 11 its a liability for some apps. Use it just to kill things that shouldnt be running. Then after that, its up to you to find some tweaks and shader mods to help mitigate memory load by rendering only necessary stuff. Really the biggest tweaks you have to do are in Windows.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

2 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

I dont think shutting down a myriad of Windoze services is going to boost VR performance much if at all.

If you shut down 10 windows processes that run in the background unnoticed at 1%, thats 10% savings you retrieved for DCS. I will admit that most of its unnecessary, but the ones in the 3090 settings for DCS thread has a great guide on those processes that are safe to shut down - and thats a bare minimum list. I spent a good 3-4 days testing settings to max out performance on my rig and Im satisfied where I am at; again the best BY FAR mod I was able to do was OpenXR, so those of you not using a WMR based VR set are SOL. That was a 5 minute mod that net gained me 25% improvement over visuals at least. Im running maxed out where before I was running a mix of medium to high @ 2xMSAA.

Process lasso you can put apps running currently in an normal state and keep them in an idle state; stuff like Firefox or Discord, you can allocate their CPU cycles specifically for DCS and run it at a high priority state. You can run those same background apps on virtual cores while putting DCS on physical cores.

There are shader mods: Kegetys shader mod is and was one of those mods I deem necessary for VR. Speed-of-heat keeps a version of that mod in his sig thats worth giving a shot.

There are mods in the DCS user upload library that are full of modded cockpits that remove mip-maps and downsize cockpits from 4k to 2k.

There are guides all over this forum that explain in great detail how to get the most out of your rig.

There are discord channels that can further elaborate - and offer assistance - to help you get the most out of your computer.

Every little bit adds up.

With that said, my tweaked version of Windows has about 55-60% more resources freed up compared to a non tweaked vanilla version of Windows. Nothing stopping you from getting similar results except for the obvious hardware limitations...and even then you can get by with a bare minimum of a 1080ti.

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

1 hour ago, Hammer1-1 said:

If you shut down 10 windows processes that run in the background unnoticed at 1%, thats 10% savings you retrieved for DCS. I will admit that most of its unnecessary, but the ones in the 3090 settings for DCS thread has a great guide on those processes that are safe to shut down - and thats a bare minimum list. I spent a good 3-4 days testing settings to max out performance on my rig and Im satisfied where I am at; again the best BY FAR mod I was able to do was OpenXR, so those of you not using a WMR based VR set are SOL. That was a 5 minute mod that net gained me 25% improvement over visuals at least. Im running maxed out where before I was running a mix of medium to high @ 2xMSAA.

Process lasso you can put apps running currently in an normal state and keep them in an idle state; stuff like Firefox or Discord, you can allocate their CPU cycles specifically for DCS and run it at a high priority state. You can run those same background apps on virtual cores while putting DCS on physical cores.

There are shader mods: Kegetys shader mod is and was one of those mods I deem necessary for VR. Speed-of-heat keeps a version of that mod in his sig thats worth giving a shot.

There are mods in the DCS user upload library that are full of modded cockpits that remove mip-maps and downsize cockpits from 4k to 2k.

There are guides all over this forum that explain in great detail how to get the most out of your rig.

There are discord channels that can further elaborate - and offer assistance - to help you get the most out of your computer.

With that said, my tweaked version of Windows has about 55-60% more resources freed up compared to a non tweaked vanilla version of Windows. Nothing stopping you from getting similar results except for the obvious hardware limitations...and even then you can get by with a bare minimum of a 1080ti.

I make sure only the bare minimum processes are running while I'm playing DCS.. I even close the Oculus app after starting DCS.. I don't use Steam. My drivers are up to date. My resolution is downscaled to the extreme to try to gain as many frames as possible. I have DCS running high priority in Task Manager without using any external programs. I have high performance in the NVIDIA Control Panel. I'm using the Rift CV1. I just hopped into a practice server, with small groups of targets, as I got close the frames were terrible, low 20's. I've done literally everything I possibly can to gain FPS and it's not working out like some people have. You name it and I've most likely have done it. I also have the simplex shaders mod and vrperfkit which helped a lot with the Hornet, but with the Apache it's struggling even on Caucasus.. granted turning off the TADS or the VID page I can get +10 frames from doing so.. I'm just trying to learn to deal with all the stutters... which doesn't seem right considering my hardware..

Edited by JSpidey

then the next step would be to eyeball your temps. I use a little bit of software called RealTempGT. Also, those Rift CV1s were really bad when it comes to that cable bundle. My Reverb G2 comes with a USB C and a display port cable which give those monitors a considerable bit of a bandwidth jump. It could very well be your problem...

My wallpaper and skins

6 hours ago, JSpidey said:

I'm just trying to learn to deal with all the stutters... which doesn't seem right considering my hardware..

If you use fpsVR, what is happening with your CPU and GPU frametimes when you see a drop in FPS?  This might help rule out (or pinpoint) CPU or GPU for issues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

10 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

then the next step would be to eyeball your temps. I use a little bit of software called RealTempGT. Also, those Rift CV1s were really bad when it comes to that cable bundle. My Reverb G2 comes with a USB C and a display port cable which give those monitors a considerable bit of a bandwidth jump. It could very well be your problem...

Temps are fine, GPU in the 60's and CPU in the 40's during heavy load. Got an ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooler, and a Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Chassis case. I tried switching to the Q2 for a newer headset thinking that it was just older hardware of the CV1 causing issues but my issues got relatively worse.. so I don't think it's that to be honest..

4 hours ago, WipeUout said:

If you use fpsVR, what is happening with your CPU and GPU frametimes when you see a drop in FPS?  This might help rule out (or pinpoint) CPU or GPU for issues.

I don't use fpsVR because I don't use Steam since I'm trying to limit the amount of processes while playing DCS

3 minutes ago, JSpidey said:

Temps are fine, GPU in the 60's and CPU in the 40's during heavy load. Got an ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooler, and a Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Chassis case. I tried switching to the Q2 for a newer headset thinking that it was just older hardware of the CV1 causing issues but my issues got relatively worse.. so I don't think it's that to be honest..

I don't use fpsVR because I don't use Steam since I'm trying to limit the amount of processes while playing DCS

Thats the first place I started. If I were you Id find a version that can run inside Oculus software. Gives you the ability to test things in DCS on the fly that doesnt require a restart.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

Id like to „bump” this topic, just for remind it.

What I also noticed that if the unit in DCS (like for example car or infantry) has a loop „option” when it walk or move (between waypoints and back to the first WP) DCS and Apache has FPS drop (and this effect increasing), so if you have more complicated mission you will see fps drop too.

I'll add track Today later here and you can see how it increase.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Fyi old PC or card If you have a issue with lower frame rate in VR using default steam openevr driver and using a Oculus rift headset. I was getting terrible 7  to 10 fps ah64d, switched to the Oculus xr driver, jumped up to frame rate 35 to 40, depends also on map and how populated it is. the default steam driver is not a great driver seems for lower performance systems like mine. Ya you can get away with it on more powerful max ultimate system or no have to none Oculus headset. and i can now fly ah64 in VR with ihadss on, less stutter or delays related to fps to none mostly, I also  disable it and use the render both eyes instead it helps. And  using the Oculus quest 2 and the quest link cable  Oculus driver had little better performance than rift 48 fps. does not work in a quest2 over wireless, since only supports steam.  So my system is old mb lower end now ,gtx1060 6g ,old corel7  5gen 3.5Ghz, 32gigs ram , 1tb ssd, windows 11.  Also I use DCS updater utility, I can recommend it.  It's way better playable with custom mid to high gfx tweaked settings and any unfriendly VR settings turned off. Also over clocking my card gave me a little performance boost seems like.

Edited by battlegear2099
Editing

6 hours ago, battlegear2099 said:

Fyi old PC or card If you have a issue with lower frame rate in VR using default steam openevr driver and using a Oculus rift headset. I was getting terrible 7  to 10 fps ah64d, switched to the Oculus xr driver, jumped up to frame rate 35 to 40, depends also on map and how populated it is. the default steam driver is not a great driver seems for lower performance systems like mine. Ya you can get away with it on more powerful max ultimate system or no have to none Oculus headset. and i can now fly ah64 in VR with ihadss on, less stutter or delays related to fps to none mostly, I also  disable it and use the render both eyes instead it helps. And  using the Oculus quest 2 and the quest link cable  Oculus driver had little better performance than rift 48 fps. does not work in a quest2 over wireless, since only supports steam.  So my system is old mb lower end now ,gtx1060 6g ,old corel7  5gen 3.5Ghz, 32gigs ram , 1tb ssd, windows 11.  Also I use DCS updater utility, I can recommend it.  It's way better playable with custom mid to high gfx tweaked settings and any unfriendly VR settings turned off. Also over clocking my card gave me a little performance boost seems like.

Why would you use SteamVR with an Oculus headset? SteamVR will just eat performance and do nothing more. Use the native Oculus SDK as it is available in DCS. Don't even need OpenXR. Actually running the Oculus SDK implementation with vrperfkit will further improve performance over OpenXRToolkit + its implementation of foveated rendering.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 8:05 AM, toilet2000 said:

Why would you use SteamVR with an Oculus headset? SteamVR will just eat performance and do nothing more. Use the native Oculus SDK as it is available in DCS. Don't even need OpenXR. Actually running the Oculus SDK implementation with vrperfkit will further improve performance over OpenXRToolkit + its implementation of foveated rendering.

I was testing options for both my headsets rift oculus SDK and Quest 2 wired also Oculus SDK. 

Edited by battlegear2099
edit

I have been flying with my G2 at the same settings for the past year with nice smooth frames.  Since the Apache dropped, I have had to turn A LOT of stuff WAY down to get acceptable frames.  My PD went from 1.5 to 1.0 and a lot of other settings from High to Low, and its still not great.  😞  

System: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5 Ghz, Z-390 Gaming X, 64Gb DDR4-3200, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3, Dedicated SSD, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion & F-16EX

DCS Modules: A-10C II,  A/V-8B NA, Bf-109 K4, P-51D, P-47D, F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-16 CM, F-86F, JF-17, KA-50 Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mosquito, AH-64D Longbow 

Terrains & Tech:  Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Normandy, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Combined Arms, WWII Assets, Supercarrier

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 10:31 AM, JG27_Arklight said:

Quest 2 native resolution is 1832×1920 (per eye). If you are running what equates to 3950x2070 per eye than that is prob the issue lol.

I dont have a Quest so not sure thats possible but putting it out there just in case.

Please read what the OP wrote. He said he was getting good performance with all other modules.

For what it's worth i'm having a similar issue. Getting over 45fps in F-16 and as soom as i switch to the Apache - even a training mission - the fps tanks to below 20.

I'm running an i9 9900K & RTX 3080 on SSD btw..... go figure.

Right now i'm regretting I purchased this module.

Are refunds possible in DCS?

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 10:51 PM, Hammer1-1 said:

I don't mean to offend anyone, but this performance issue with the Apache is ridiculous.

Evert time there's a real issue in DCS, ppl write some long essay suggesting the same old songs about resources, process lasso, lowering settings and all other crapola. The issue is the Apache module itself. All the other jets work fine. The problem is not the user's system, or his resources, or setup......... something is clearly wrong with the apache in VR.

All other sims are making solid progress in VR, but DCS seems to be stuck with the same shoddy performance. 

I'd much rather the DCS devs stop pushing out new modules and maps for a while and work on fixing their poorly optimized software. 

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by FiringPin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can add to this topic. Apache is completely unplayable in VR, suttering movement, slow ghosting, it's really, really bad. All other modules are running at 80-90 FPS and screentime in the green. My settings are pretty much medium. If more specifics are needed I can provide them, but there is no explanation for the terrible VR performance I am experiencing in the Apache.

HP Reverb G2

i7 12700 OC'd 5.5ghz; 3080ti; 32GB ddr5 5600. DCS on a 1TB NVME; Windows10 on a 250gb NVME

• Like 1

There are two fundamental issues as I see it:

1. The Apache module is newly released and isn't performing well in VR, can Eagle Dynamics please acknowledge the problem and explain what is being done about it. I am pretty tolerant of the need to be patient and allow ED time to optimise things, its not unreasonable to ask the question and have some comms on this topic.
  2. DCS as a whole is showing its age now both visually and its ability to utilise modern PC hardware fully. Is there a roadmap or is the plan simply to put more modules onto an aging platform? Obviously this is in the context of VR.

and don't misunderstand me I'm a fan of DCS and very pleased with the Apache module, I'm simply describing what I see are quality issues that need some attention and comms 

• Like 6