What Minimal Flightsticks/Controls People Using?

SlyBelle

This game looks very good and very eager to purchase. However, I don't have the necessary cash to buy both the game and a fancy set of Flightsticks/controls which seem necessary to play this game. I don't own any controls at this time.

Therefore, I was wondering what the minimal type of Joystick/controls people are using to still be able to play the game reasonably well? Again, I'm looking for the lowest dominator I could get away with and still be able to enjoy. Is it just a flightstick like from Logitech or do you really need the top end stuff (i.e. saitek, etc.)?

Thanks!

I began BlackShark with a Saitek Cyborg 3D USB, until my X52Pro arrived and it worked very well. The stick has everything you need - throttle, twist stick, some more buttons. Unfortunatly it isn't produced anymore.

But I needed more buttons/controls, especially the precision slider on the X52's throttle (for zooming) and my Cyborg got aged (about 8 years for now).

Also TIR4 is an very good investment, but for the begin you not really need it. However, it adds much more immersion to the sim.

Edited by Sid6dot7

Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 @ 3.4 Ghz | 12 GB RAM (DDR3-1600) | Nvidia Geforce GTX660 Ti/2GB (Driver Ver. 381.65 ) | ASUS P8Z77-V LE Plus | SB Audigy 2 ZS (kxProject 3552) | Samsung SSD 830 Series (Sys: 64GB, DCS+other: 128GB) | Saitek X52 Pro + TM MFDs | TIR4: Pro (TIR 5.4.1.26786 Software) | Windows 10 Pro (x64, non Anniversary)

IHMO - the Saitek Aviator has all what it needs to 'start' with:

av8r.jpg

Rapid fire trigger

4 buttons

8-way ‘point-of-view’ hat switch

4 two-way toggle switches

3D Twist Rudder control

Dual throttles

Single spring gimbal mechanism

And he is also not so expensive. And when you 'upgrade' you can use him as some kind of "centre console" - and most imported: he is precise !

• Like 1

The Saitek Aviator looks fair so far. A little bit like my Cyborg with some more design and without the hand rest. The price is what I paid for my stick in the past.

Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 @ 3.4 Ghz | 12 GB RAM (DDR3-1600) | Nvidia Geforce GTX660 Ti/2GB (Driver Ver. 381.65 ) | ASUS P8Z77-V LE Plus | SB Audigy 2 ZS (kxProject 3552) | Samsung SSD 830 Series (Sys: 64GB, DCS+other: 128GB) | Saitek X52 Pro + TM MFDs | TIR4: Pro (TIR 5.4.1.26786 Software) | Windows 10 Pro (x64, non Anniversary)

I would look hard for the best price of a Saitek X52 set, maybe even used, if in good condition and not worn out.

You will end up paying more than for a new Aviator, but what you get in handling value easily surpasses the percentage of money you spent more.

"For aviators like us, the sky is not the limit - it's our home!"

Right, those for the X and Y axis are Hall sensors, but the centering springs, buttons, coolies, sliders and rotaries can and do wear out.

There´s a reason why many people I know switched to X52 Pro after "wrecking" their X52s after 2-3 years of extensive use.

But still, if you don´t use it 5 hours every day, the standard X52 will serve you well for a long time and it is a great value for money for a first flight setup buy.

I began BlackShark with a Saitek Cyborg 3D USB, until my X52Pro arrived and it worked very well. The stick has everything you need - throttle, twist stick, some more buttons. Unfortunatly it isn't produced anymore.

Are you sure it's not produced anymore? Saitek still sells them through GameShark. Newegg also has them stocked in the U.S. at the moment.

I have the Saitek X52 Pro system myself, along with Saitek's yoke, throttle, and rudder pedals, but they're all sadly boxed and in storage indefinitely back in the States while I follow my wife's career here in Oxford (UK). My fallback this side of the puddle? The Saitek AV8R.

I'm using an FSSB-R2 modded Cougar with CH Pro Pedals and TrackIR3 w/ Vector Expansion currently.

The question was about veeeeery much less expensive stuff than that setup...

So, are you showing off or is that earnestly your minimum controller hardware recommendation for BS?

Edited by Woodstock
  • Like 1

IHMO - the Saitek Aviator has all what it needs to 'start' with:

av8r.jpg

Rapid fire trigger

4 buttons

8-way ‘point-of-view’ hat switch

4 two-way toggle switches

3D Twist Rudder control

Dual throttles

Single spring gimbal mechanism

And he is also not so expensive. And when you 'upgrade' you can use him as some kind of "centre console" - and most imported: he is precise !

I'll second this. I bought one of those so I could have a USB stick. Before I was using a Logitech Wingman 3D from cira 1999. Very, very, VERY good stick (they don't make'em like they used to!), but it used an old gameport connection! :eek:

The AV8R has 4 two way switches and an A/B selector. That means those switches can be quadruple-functioned. The A/B switch can also double-functions the buttons on the stick. Two throttles means FIVE axes on the stick, which is excellent, one more than you usually have. The stick is also quite comfortable, the front of the base is shaped well for your hand to rest on it while you use the throttles. The cord is also in a good position, coming out the side rather than the top. As Urze said, it is very affordable The only downside is that its light -- its made 100% of plastic. This is of no consequence however if you just keep your throttle hand on the base while you play.

This stick is like a starter HOTAS. This one will keep you going until you can afford better! :thumbup:

I began with my trusty Saitek X-45, but it's old and the wiring gave out two days ago. So until I can pony up for another HOTAS, I'm using my backup -- a spare Logitech Force3DPro from my closet. BS recognized it right away, and it's more than adequate at my level of skill for the time being.

aka MadMonk; Windows 10, 64 bit, Radeon 6800XT gpu, Ryzen 5 5600 cpu, 32 gig ram; Samsung 2TB EVO SSD, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Saitek combat rudder pedals; Oculus Rift.

Were your friends on their third one because they like them so much or they kept breaking?

On his third (i think) through breakage, though he has had these replaced under warranty every time, saying that IL2 (what he plays) is a lot more demanding on a stick than this game.

Are you sure it's not produced anymore?

You misunderstood me. ;)

The Cyborg 3D USB isn't produced for about 2 years.

Thanks everybody for your input. Today, I decided to take the plunge:)

Surprisingly, I was able to go with the X52. When I was out shopping, happened to stop at a store that was going out of business and found a brand new X52 for only $60! The Avaitor was going to cost me $45 so I think I got a great bargain.

Now I just have to wait until the game downloads....

Good for you and good choice!

As I said, there are good X52 prices to be found for those who search a little.

You´ve gotten yourself and upgrade over the Aviator that is worth much more than $15.

As a starting point for programming your new set you can use this profile by 3Sqn_Prophet as a starting point. However, everybody has to find his own optimum for an ergonomic setup.