VR view is too far back in the helmet. obscured vision.

jimiC

VR headset type Vive Pro 2. 

default position on first startup. *note not talking about head position in cockpit , that is adjustable as usual. talking about view position within the body/helmet

below image is from left eye. same issue right eye with view of inside of helmet and balaclava

image.png

Edited by jimiC
  • Like 1

Your screenshot has the view point biased left and back for sure. No good for sure!

I am a Reverb 2 user and my view point in VR is good, centered and appropriately placed in the cockpit.

Agree with Razor18's query, can you recenter the Vibe Pro2 (would hope so) and does this help?

S!

Edited by JokerMan

One of the things i noted at first i tried the Apache was that the VR head position looks spot on, way better than Ka50 and Mi24.

My headset is an Quest 2

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

"Recenter VR/view?" function can be found and binded in the "GUI functions" or something similar in the control setting list, at the end of all available moduls. (Or maybe in ABC order?)

There is also a zoom (and an extreme zoom with some funny name) function for VR in that same GUI list, you can't use the Axis command for zoom AFAIK...

Edited by Razor18

• ED Team

yes looks like you have not recentred your VR view, numpad 5 is the default key if I remember correctly

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Please read the OP correctly Num 5/reset VR isnt the issue in this instance.

dont think 'head position in cockpit' think 'head position in helmet'. 

Look at the dodgey textures stuck in front of the lower quarter of the view (its the fire balaclava) and the overhanging helmet at the top.

This all serves to reduce the overall FOV in a VR headset already restricted in FOV anyway, not to mention the inside of a balaclava low res texture is ugly to look at.

I think your screenshot might be mis interpreted as a problem? 

IMHO the IHADDS monocle is a bit too far from the "eye". It would be nice a way to adjust that distance. The NVGs are alsoo too visible and I don't think they would be in real life but maybe that helmet is different than a motorcycle one that I am more used to.

it's possible that everything is controlled in the view.lua from module folder. maybe these lines?

local function head_pos_default_HMD_PLT(tab)
    if not tab then
        tab = {}
    end

tab.viewAngle    = tab.viewAngle        or    76.0
    tab.hAngle        = tab.hAngle        or    0
    tab.vAngle        = tab.vAngle        or    -10
    tab.x_trans        = tab.x_trans        or    -0.142
    tab.y_trans        = tab.y_trans        or    0.070
    tab.z_trans        = tab.z_trans        or    0
    tab.rollAngle    = tab.rollAngle        or    0

return tab

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I am seeing something very similar to I am also a Vive Pro 2 user though I'm not sure whether that has any bearing on the issue.

@jimiC when you get a chance would you mind sharing your VP2 console, SteamVR and game settings? I'm fairly new to VR in DCS and struggling a little to get it all balanced with my RTX3080.

Would also like to chime in and say I am also having this issue on my HTC vive. I've been searching forums and fb groups left and right to find some answers and I have only found your thread talking about it.

Was hoping there was a setting to adjust, like a slider of some sort, but the only option available which I currently switched to was, unticking "IHADSS monocle visible", which still gives me the IHADSS overlay, but I'm no longer in the helmet, and no IHADSS's arm. Slightly killed the immersion in VR, but still completely functional. Hoping there's an update soon.

And if anyone is still wondering what the issue is, it's the balaclava to far forward, or to far up. Honestly if it was just removed I'd be okay with that too for VR. Keeping just the IHADSS. 

ruVSg7f.png

Edited by Mattt

not wsure if this still works but this user says there is a way to adjust he eye view? Hope it helps.

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

nope not  related. recenter is relative to the cockpit not the helmet and balaclava

also note the ihads projection is overlapping with the bezel of the ihads itself

i think the head position rel ihads/helmet needs to move a couple cm forwrd

Matt's image does a better job of explaining the problem than my OP

Edited by jimiC

I am also having this issue, I am using a HTC Vive Pro.   I suspect this might be an issue with HTC HMDs?

I have attached a modified image showing (artist impression, I'm not at my computer atm) what I see when the PNVS is on. As you can see the PNVS overlaps the monocle.

this is because for some reason the monocle graphic is to far away from the eye. this also causes the top of the hmd to be clipped and the balaclava to be far too visible.  

in the short team I have turn off the monocle in the special options, but it would be nice if this could be fixed.

Thanks.

2022-03-25 11_39_17-VR view is too far back in the helmet. obscured vision. - Bugs & Problems - ED F.png

I have attached a screen grab from Casmo's recent video to show how it should look.  As you can see it is much closer to the eye.

2022-03-25 11_50_59-(1036) DCS AH-64_ How I deal with the Trimmer - YouTube - Personal - Microsoft​ .png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'd like to plus 1 this issue as well.

HTC Vive user, as shown above the view in VR is set too far back in the players "head", revealing too much of the balaclava, bringing the monocle frame and mount clearly into focus and obstructing the view, and also causing the IHADSS to project onto the monocle frame.

It appears that to correct the issue, the IHADSS projection should remain as it is now in terms of absolute size (so no change at all), however the overall field of view in terms of the cockpit, needs to be adjusted as though the eyes are bought forward in the skull (balaclava and helmet edges would retreat from view towards the edge of the "screen", monocle would enlarge until the IHADSS projection fit cleanly inside it, mount/projector would move down and right out of view accordingly).

Alternatively, if this FOV varies between VR headset types, a slider adjusting the FOV would be ideal, however to be super clear, this adjustment should NOT also adjust the size of the IHADSS image projected on the the eye (if this needs adjustment, it should be separate, as relation between monocle and IHADSS is currently out of proportion.

On 3/18/2022 at 10:37 AM, JokerMan said:

Your screenshot has the view point biased left and back for sure. No good for sure!

I am a Reverb 2 user and my view point in VR is good, centered and appropriately placed in the cockpit.

Agree with Razor18's query, can you recenter the Vibe Pro2 (would hope so) and does this help?

S!

The same, no issue here for me.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Am 21.3.2022 um 17:54 schrieb Mattt:

Would also like to chime in and say I am also having this issue on my HTC vive. I've been searching forums and fb groups left and right to find some answers and I have only found your thread talking about it.

Was hoping there was a setting to adjust, like a slider of some sort, but the only option available which I currently switched to was, unticking "IHADSS monocle visible", which still gives me the IHADSS overlay, but I'm no longer in the helmet, and no IHADSS's arm. Slightly killed the immersion in VR, but still completely functional. Hoping there's an update soon.

And if anyone is still wondering what the issue is, it's the balaclava to far forward, or to far up. Honestly if it was just removed I'd be okay with that too for VR. Keeping just the IHADSS. 

ruVSg7f.png

I‘am vive pro2 user.

The IHADSS projection overlaps the monocle,too.

I have unchecked the balaclava facemask because it decreases my FOV.  So this is no big issue for me.

But the overlapping projection over the monocle-frame is really odd.

Edited by corbu1

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - FC3 - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO105 - CH-47F - AH-1G(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer)

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

No experience with VR here. But just a question in between.

Are you guys really have this fat HMD in your view? Especially this huge black ring? Or is it just a screenshot thing and different when actually looking through both eyes?

Man that ugly distracting thing would drive me crazy..

16 hours ago, Andartu said:

Are you guys really have this fat HMD in your view? Especially this huge black ring? Or is it just a screenshot thing and different when actually looking through both eyes?

Yep, I like it (if you talk what we will see in VR view, not on screenshots)! You feel like you are in the helmet! 👍 👍 👍

It was tested by my friend who is a military copter pilot and the FOV is the same (HP G2), just NVG should be looking different.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 5/18/2022 at 2:15 AM, Andartu said:

Yep, thats exactly how it looks in VR.... it looks like one side of a thick rimmed pair of glasses with a tube attached to it, and its very obtrusive.

AFAIK, the rom of the monocle, and the "projector" tube, should both be in the periphery of that eye, and shouldn't really be noticable at all unless you specifically look for it.

With all of this being said, I've never actually stopped to check if the monocle model is rendered at all in the left eye, imo it shouldn't be, and the projector and rim for the monocle should be expanded/moved so that they are rendered at the very extremety of the right lense only.