Throttle/Power and Cyclic connected?

Simonator

I'm having an issue where I increase power to fly (I am using a Warthog throttle and using the friction lever as my throttle) and instead of settling at 101% it goes right past and overspeeds the engines and rotors (118%). If I fiddle with it I can get it to behave but as soon as I pull in the cyclic to increase power it immediately starts telling me I have no power and drops below 101%.

I thought that engine management was automatic but I keep having to make power adjustments while also managing torque. Have I missed a step somewhere?

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you're doing, but to make it simple at the beginning, consider unbinding the axis from power levers and use keyboard instead - just for now.
During engine start you move a power lever from OFF to IDLE (that is rAlt/rShift+Home) at no less than 20% RPM of gas generator. Repeat for engine 2.
Oh... make sure the collective is lowered throughtout the whole process!
Once the engines are running low RPM and oil pressure drops to no more than 70, you spool the engines up by gradually moving both levers towards "FLT" (flight) position. I'm using Numpad+, initially. When I'm close to "FLT", I tap PageUp to put the levers exactly in "FLT". That's it. Engines are happy and running. 101% RPM everywhere (power turbines, rotor).
Maybe you are incidentally moving the power levers forward of "FLT" far enough so that DCS considers it this... this position forward of FLT (forgot what it's called)? AFAICR it's a position where manual throttle is engaged, or something of this sort.

At this stage the only reason why rotor RPM may drop is: A) you have pulled the collective too much and/or too abruptly, B) you're too heavy and the Crazy Indian doesn't have enough power to competently deal with the weight.
All this is off the top of my head, I've had 0.75 hour of flying myself, so I don't exactly know what I'm talking. Sorry.

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

4 hours ago, Simonator said:

I'm having an issue where I increase power to fly (I am using a Warthog throttle and using the friction lever as my throttle) and instead of settling at 101% it goes right past and overspeeds the engines and rotors (118%). If I fiddle with it I can get it to behave but as soon as I pull in the cyclic to increase power it immediately starts telling me I have no power and drops below 101%.

I thought that engine management was automatic but I keep having to make power adjustments while also managing torque. Have I missed a step somewhere?

Looks to me you binded to your own physical Throttle rather the ingame Throttle, instead of the in game "Collective", and should rather using keypresses for the in game throttle setting, which are discrete, with no need to analog control. You have to touch those only at startup anyway, but collective is used constantly. In short, instead of in game throttle, bind your in game Collective to any of your WH Throttle levers.

Or maybe, did you invert the axis for throttle? Helicopters increase collective by pulling on the collective, aircrafts increase engine powewr by pushing the throttle "up".

Sorry if something misunderstood on my side.

Edited by Razor18

For the Apache you would need 2 levers to do that. Otherwise how do you want to start up engine 1 and 2 separately with one common throttle axis for both engines?

Plus throttle settings are discrete positions, which you only touch once, or if you do shutdown too, then maybe twice during your the entire flight.

Completely enough to use RAlt Home and RShift Home in my opinion.

Edited by Razor18

9 minutes ago, Razor18 said:

For the Apache you would need 2 levers to do that. Otherwise how do you want to start up engine 1 and 2 separately with one common throttle axis for both engines?

Plus throttle settings are discrete positions, which you only touch once, or if you do shutdown too, then maybe twice during your the entire flight.

Completely enough to use RAlt Home and RShift Home in my opinion.

Yes indeed, I wasn't suggesting that it was a preferred setup, but the op was asking why his power was coming off when he pulled the cyclic up.

I thought maybe he has the left throttle assigned to throttle (both engines) and collective to the right lever. 

If he was then to connect the left and right levers on his stick, both the throttle and collective would move as he moved his TM levers, it would override the "friction slider" axis.

Tbh I can't remeber what was set as default because I instantly cleared all of my axis bindings for all of the periphals in the menu.

It was just a thought.

I have also had issues with the "friction lever" axis being jittery on the warthog when moving the throttle levers, this was solved by using a powered USB hub.

Same for me. After rolling forward and then stopping with my throttle moved down from 30% to 0%, suddenly I start to spin right, torque by itself jumps up well over 100, I go straight up at a huge rate, then I get overspeed warning and after a few seconds low power warnings and that is with me not touching the collective or throttles at all.