AI utilize different launch parameters based on tasking (IE CAP, Intercept, Fighter Sweep).

I noticed this testing the MICA. 

When AI aircraft are set to CAP or fighter sweep, they will engage from a further distance then when they are set to intercept. The difference is quite drastic. All aircraft set to attack a single target aircraft, all have "AA missile range" set to max. Target aircraft setup to act like drones.

The reason I noticed this with the MICA is that the missiles would not hit when set to CAP for Fighter sweep, they would always miss short. I believe it is still broken despite the patch notes. You can see this in the supplied mission.

AI tasking.miz

The intercept aircraft's option to set its missile range to max is waiting on the attack task to complete before executing. The other two tasks are enroute tasks which means the AI will do that task if they detect the target, but will also execute other tasks in their queue. Hence their settings are to fire at max range while intercept is still at default. 

Interesting bit is how altitude impacts the results. AI fire at similar ranges but due to lower drag at higher altitudes the missile can hit. It was enough of a difference that between the altitude you set of roughly 7500m to what I initially did to recreate it at 8000m the missiles would hit. 

I think it might be more of a weapon issue with the MICA needing to be tuned. Tested with a a few other A2A missile types and max range shots all resulted in kills no matter the altitude set. 

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

On 3/22/2022 at 2:23 AM, Grimes said:

The intercept aircraft's option to set its missile range to max is waiting on the attack task to complete before executing. The other two tasks are enroute tasks which means the AI will do that task if they detect the target, but will also execute other tasks in their queue. Hence their settings are to fire at max range while intercept is still at default. 

Interesting bit is how altitude impacts the results. AI fire at similar ranges but due to lower drag at higher altitudes the missile can hit. It was enough of a difference that between the altitude you set of roughly 7500m to what I initially did to recreate it at 8000m the missiles would hit. 

I think it might be more of a weapon issue with the MICA needing to be tuned. Tested with a a few other A2A missile types and max range shots all resulted in kills no matter the altitude set. 

Good shout, didnt think about that. Flipped the tasking and they now all launch at the same time. Woops.....

Your comment on the Mica is about spot on. A lot of the older AI only missiles seem to still not be working correctly, likely due to being on the old API or w.e. The Mig 23s R24R is a good example of this. It accelerates up to a seemingly decent speed, but then just dumps air speed like a mofo. Only goes like 8 or 9 miles before it falls out of the sky, when the Mig 23 will launch 20-30 miles out. Its far from performing the way one would expect given the R24 should be similarish to the sparrow. The Mica used to do the same thing. Its now "better", but still far from ideal.

Also secondarily, ive been seeing a new bug where AI aircraft wont accelerate towards target aircraft. You can see it in this mission. Theyll go full AB, then at 50 miles theyll coast until launch. This is obviously not helping launch parameters, as the aircraft are probably .3-.5 mach slower then they should be on launch.

Initial thread on Mica/R24 terrible performance (The Mica is different then what it was previously, R24 still the same). 

Thread about AI not accelerating at their targets

• ED Team
On 3/17/2022 at 11:19 PM, Chenstrap said:

I noticed this testing the MICA. 

When AI aircraft are set to CAP or fighter sweep, they will engage from a further distance then when they are set to intercept. The difference is quite drastic. All aircraft set to attack a single target aircraft, all have "AA missile range" set to max. Target aircraft setup to act like drones.

The reason I noticed this with the MICA is that the missiles would not hit when set to CAP for Fighter sweep, they would always miss short. I believe it is still broken despite the patch notes. You can see this in the supplied mission.

AI tasking.miz 8.99 kB · 2 downloads

I gave the aircraft more distance similar to your other report and they all fired with in less than half a minute of each other.
image.png

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png