Player CPG Hellfire and laser issues

RileyZed16

Multiple players including me have encountered issues such as the tads / hellfires not being able to find the laser before launch therefor not allowing us to fire, and also when we do eventually get the ability to fire they end up falling 20-30 feet short, have attached the track file below

https://www.mediafire.com/file/eqkhq47xra50mjv/4YA_SYR_PVE-INC_v48ClearWeather_[01_JAN_OVC]-20220318-172006.trk/file

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have the same problem too when the hellfire wont get a track ill reslot in the CPG and than the hellfire gets a track but falls 20-30 feet short of the target. I already shot like 50 Hellfires not a single one hit 😞 .

3 hours ago, Forgety said:

I have the same problem too when the hellfire wont get a track ill reslot in the CPG and than the hellfire gets a track but falls 20-30 feet short of the target. I already shot like 50 Hellfires not a single one hit 😞 .

yeah same for me, i submitted this post to newy and the team at ED hopefully we see a fix soon

• Like 1

Same issue here. I confirmed all settings were correct (former RW AH-64D pilot), but missile will not track the laser spot.

I was able to resolve it once after deleting metashaders and fxo folder contents, as well as removing some 3rd party mods, but the issue returned a short time later during the same session.

• Like 1

schoolio64D

Youtube

Twitch

Can confirm. Seems to be totally random. We would get into a fresh Apache and not touch any settings other than changing the loadout to all hellfires, then take off to check and we'd find it the large box comes up just fine. Then we'd get another fresh Apache on the same server, then do the same test again and we'd not get the large box. Seems to happen totally randomly.

Edited by noisyboyuk

Regarding the Hellfires falling short, I tried my first coop flight with a friend tonight with me in the front seat, just working on some static range targets.

My Hellfire shots nearly all went wide of the mark. I had a good lase on the target and everything looked good, but they generally hit to the right and short of the target. My friend was watching my TADS video in the back seat, and while he could see that I had good aim on the target at launch, it appeared to him that the video drifted right and down while the missile was in flight, which would correspond with the final impact location. Meanwhile my TADS image was still showing the target in the middle of my crosshairs.

I wish I could provide a track file for ED to look at, but I had a system crash later in the flight and didn't get a chance to save the track. If we get another chance I will try to see if I can reproduce the problem.

I think I am having same issue but I'm not entirely sure.

I am getting the "AR" on hellfires to show that it is ready and looking for laser code A. I have confirmed all laser and hellfire racks are armed and all laser code options set to A. Laser fires but hellfire remains at "AR" rather than seeing the laser and going to "AT". If you fire on "AR" missile of course sails and does not track the target at all (its not off by a small amount, it tracks nothing...)

It seems random when you get AT vs. not sometimes a helicopter will not ever get an AT, other times you can fire 4 in a row and then all of a sudden its just AR....I cannot find the variable causing the difference. If its the same bug, no problem, I'll wait. I believe we are talking about same thing, but I am just not 100% confident that its the same as what's been reported here.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Shmegegge 1-1 Aero said:

Does this happen for you guys when using LMC?  A lot of people (including myself) have found that LMC with multicrew causes the TADS to jump all over the place which causes the missile to miss.

A buddy and I were testing this earlier. He was watching the TADS from the back while I searched for targets in the CPG seat. Whenever I would activate LMC mode, the TADS crosshair would move from his POV. Sometimes just a few feet off the target, sometimes by several dozen meters. Seems to be hit or miss when it desyncs, as not 20 minutes before I was using LMC and bumping the MAN TRK stick to move the crosshair with a squad of infantry and it was hitting right on target (same helo, same sortie).

Another person in our group pointed us to a list of things to do as a workaround (cycle safe/armed from the pilot's seat, cycle NAV/ATK mode on TSD, change laser codes, switch ACQ source, etc.). Only thing that seems to fix it for us is to keep jumping into a new bird until it works...even then it may work for the first couple of shots or it may work for the duration of the sortie....or not at all.

Same problem here, working as CPG with a friend PLT. Sometimes the Hellfire does not detect the laser and the square will stay small. And when it locks, the missiles consistently go to the exact same spot 20-30m away from the lased target. Looking at the Hellfire from external view, in the terminal phase it moves all around the place.

Even more problems: I introduce points, routes and make direct, select acquisition and my pilot does not see anything of that, he has to do everything by himself. Once we landed and he saw my TADS drifting away from the place I was aiming it.

It is as if the syncing is constantly lost. Probably everything is related. I have tried to leave the aircraft and join back, but the Hellfires still consistently miss.

We have tried this both serving myself a mission and using a random public server, it never worked.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9 hours ago, Shmegegge 1-1 Aero said:

Does this happen for you guys when using LMC?  A lot of people (including myself) have found that LMC with multicrew causes the TADS to jump all over the place which causes the missile to miss.

This!

Deactivating LMC solved the problem for my CPG and me. Hellfires now work/hit reliable (on a shooting range).

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I noticed the same problem today with some friends. Since one couldn't get George to fire, I jumped as CPG into his chopper. Wondered why I didn't get a track. Fired just hoping its a display sync bug, but the missile went to nowhere. So we switched the chopper. Same thing. I started modifying stuff randomly and when I changed the ACQ or MODE (something on the right side of the weapons page) the second and third active missile started tracking, not the currently selected one. When I started firing, the first one just went somewhere, but the other ones that showed a track before continued to do so and actually hit the target when I fired them. Maybe there is a desync in the missile stepping. Can't test it tomorrow myself (no partner for MP 😞 ), but if somebody can, try the missile step button and manual stepping to see if you can find a tracking missile by simply stepping through them.

EDIT:

After revisiting the manual, I am pretty sure I selected SEK (the missile seeker) as aquisition source. So please test and verify it, if you can.

Edited by Wychmaster

On 3/21/2022 at 1:16 PM, Hiob said:

This!

Deactivating LMC solved the problem for my CPG and me. Hellfires now work/hit reliable (on a shooting range).

Update: Nope, it doesn't. Kind of worked on the first evening, failed the second. When CPG is lasing, the pilots tads is not showing it and the missile is not tracking.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

My 2 cents on this after flying alot with a CPG is :

SYNCHRO ISSUE.
To AVOID : Take the chopper and let it OFF till you're CPG is in, then start up, arm it, make sure LASER is ON on the CPG side WPN -> UTIL -> LASER. Make sure he can lase on the ground before take off, if it can't, leave the aircraft and do it again.
Also, whenever you see the TADS wiggling around, make youre CPG SLAVE and DESLAVE to PHS, it kinda resync up the two together.

Those 2 "solutions" solved pretty much all the issue i had so far. Might not be the best "workaround" but it does work.

7 hours ago, Hiob said:

Update: Nope, it doesn't. Kind of worked on the first evening, failed the second. When CPG is lasing, the pilots tads is not showing it and the missile is not tracking.

the main desync your referring to there is the pilot not registering that the cpg as enabled the laser on the WPN->UTIL page. Occasionally this can also be the Pilot not registering that the laser trigger has been depressed, but in my experience it has almost always been the first one.
If the CPG has messed with the Laser Code or Missile channels, there could be a desync there aswell.

for now, you can do a few things to sync it up. 

1. if your messing with the channels and codes, have the pilot do it by pressing MSL on his WPN page. Or at least have him confirm that the changes you made actually took effect.
2. Have Pilot pull up Tads video with Tads symbology on a screen, VID->TADS on right->TADS on top
3. Fire Laser and have pilot report if he sees a lase, If not, go to WPN -> UTIL as cpg and cycle the laser in the left bottom off then back on
4, then Lase again.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the pilot sees the laser on his tads feed at the same time as the CPG.
(it is not uncommon during this phase for the pilot to see the laser on when the cpg fires it with the WPN->UTIL->LASER option off.)
6. select a missile and aim your tads in front and within about 8km then try to lase and see if you get a lock. If not, repeat step 1 and maybe step 3 until you do.

It is important to think that anything the CPG does right now could be desynced with the PLT, so all things the CPG does should be verified on PLT displays whenever possible. The desyncs I have encountered have been: Weapon Loadout, Master Arm, Laser UTIL, Laser Firing, LMC Track, Slave, Laser Code, Laser Channel, Hellfire Channel, Door open/closed, Direct To Waypoint, IHADSS Mode(i.e. transition/cruise/hover/bobup) just to name a few. The only one I have not been able to mitigate in the air was the weapon loadout one, that required landing and rearming. The rest I could sync up by just toggling them a few times, in some cases having the PLT toggle it at the same time as the CPG when able. 

Edited by tech_op2000
  • Thanks 1

vor 14 Stunden schrieb Hiob:

I have set the two detents of the laser on separate buttons so that I can go to second detent without going through the first. However, in todays session this seemed to cause the tracking issues of the missiles. After I accidentally hit the first detent, the missiles started tracking. So next time you get this issue, try the first detent first. Maybe that helps.