Do you regret buying other chopter modules after experiencing what Apache can do? (Trick question)

In short: no

Longish: I bought some even before the excellent Blackhawk mod was born.  I learn a lot of how chopters work in the process and Russian hardware is brutal (no pun intended)

Edited by VFGiPJP
  • Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants changed the title to Do you regret buying other chopter modules after experiencing what Apache can do? (Trick question)

No, i will keep flying the Mi-8/24 and am looking forward to the Bo-105. The Apache is just one under many helos for me.

• Like 3

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Mi8 is still the beast it has always been, the Apache being another excellent platform doesn't hide that fact 🙂

• Like 3

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

So far, the Mi-8 still feels the best, regarding to "just" flying. It's still the most immersive FM.

But before I can evaluate the Apache regarding the "feel of FM", I need a couple more hours in the cockpit.

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Actually, I can do with Kamov the things that for sure will not be possible in Winnetou... 😉

• Like 2

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

I don't fly the Huey at all anymore, but I enjoyed it when I got it. The Mi-24 gets some use, I like having it because it's cool and it's nice to have a variety of modules. And I would still like to get the Mi-8 one day.

But I LOVE my Blackshark!

The Apache is super cool, but the Blackshark is my baby. :gun_smilie:

• Like 4

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

5 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I don't fly the Huey at all anymore, but I enjoyed it when I got it. The Mi-24 gets some use, I like having it because it's cool and it's nice to have a variety of modules. And I would still like to get the Mi-8 one day.

But I LOVE my Blackshark!

The Apache is super cool, but the Blackshark is my baby. :gun_smilie:

You really missing out on the Hip. BEST MODULE EVER! (😁😉 I'm biased)

Edit: To be real - it has it's flaws, it's quite old. But regarding of the experience of FLYING a helicopter, nothing comes close imho.

Edit2: I was/am VERY hyped for the Apache, and so far it's great. But if they ever announce a make-over treatment for the Hip (regarding visual fidelity mainly) - I would be hyped even more!

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 4

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

11 minutes ago, Hiob said:

You really missing out on the Hip. BEST MODULE EVER! (😁😉 I'm biased)

I hear ya. I've tried it twice on the free trials and it's really good. Just a matter of available brain cells and time to learn.

As far as buyer's remorse goes, I'm glad I didn't buy the Gazelle and I won't buy any of the upcoming choppers, except of course........

The Blackshark3 :gun_smilie:

• Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

2 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I hear ya. I've tried it twice on the free trials and it's really good. Just a matter of available brain cells and time to learn.

As far as buyer's remorse goes, I'm glad I didn't buy the Gazelle and I won't buy any of the upcoming choppers, except of course........

The Blackshark3 :gun_smilie:

The Gazelle doesn't work for me. The FM feels like a RC Model. Maybe it's true to reality, don't know, don't care. Just not my cup of tea.

• Like 3

I enjoy each and every one of the choppers, and have logged enough hours on all to not care about their cost.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Starting to learn flying and shooting with the Apache, it's a little bit more harder than the SA-342. I love using the Gazelle. It's more easy to use, but has limited payload compared to the Apache.  But i think both of them are very beautyfull and joyfull helicopter. I my opinion every mod i bought is good and i don't regret it. 

Not at all. I have the Huey and the Ka-50.

- The Huey is still fun to fly, but I never took it to combat missions anyway. Flying airlift or supply, or just a nice trip around the field in it is really nice.

- The Ka-50 is mature, everything works, it is an awesome machine even though the lack of a CMWS really hurts. You don't need a George, it's just you, the machine, tons of missiles and a main rotor that is completely torque-free yet fragile as a Huey. But that's the only fragile thing in it, it can take a lot of damage and still come home.

I will probably fly the Apache a lot besides of the Viper that I have flown for decades in various sims. But that doesn't mean that I would regret buying other helicopters. They are all fun.

• Like 3

Prefer the KA-50, more agile, faster, I just find it more fun and more relaxing to fly. Apache feels like it lacks power, it feels like a flying tank, unstable and more work to fly. I don't regret buying any modules as I buy them to learn them and experience them. Obviously some I'm going to enjoy more than others. I think I'm more surprised at how unstable it feels for such a modern airframe than anything. Especially after all the upgrades to it.

• Like 6

My only gripe is that the 30mm chain gun on the Apache is simply too wicked. It is almost "You see, You fire, You destroy". Wished the Hind had the swirl chain gun model. I agree BS2 is just slick, let's wait and see what the BS3 will bring to the table.

• Like 3

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

All Helos Matter.  LOL.  I just hope they decide to revisit the Huey and show her the love the Apache has received.  She needs a makeover bad to bring her up to modern day standards.  The Apache has set the bar for future content hands down.  Blown away with how this girl fly's in VR.  The helmet/eye piece was a fantastic idea.  Once you go VR, you will not go back.

I don't fly helos often. I have huey ka50 and apache.

I didn't get hind because it just doesn't interest me much. plus I don't really like the 2 man team with AI being my assistant that takes their human error out. 

That's why I enjoy the KA-50... it's just you and the plane. I'm also little better flying that helicopter including the auto hover help and better torque control since it's non tail rotor.

I just don't really enjoy russian made vehicles much (the screen thing in russian confuses me, the talking and all).

so there really isn't a helicopter out there for me. I don't see the point of huey and mi-8 in a shooting sim.

sooo long story short, i got the apache, messing around with it, but I'm more concentrated on the F16 now as it's really starting to mature and be one of the best modern planes we have (more modern than our now retired F18C)

1 hour ago, razorseal said:

so there really isn't a helicopter out there for me. I don't see the point of huey and mi-8 in a shooting sim.

When you put gunpods and rockets on the Mi-8, it’s really a veritable gunship….and the FM (the feeling for the machine) is still unmatched (in my book).

After a couple of hours flying the Apache, I have to admit indeed, that I like it a lot for its FLIR and IHADSS and overall A-10C“esk“ features - but not particularly for flying (compared to the Hip or even the Hind - the latter once it picked up speed).

Matter of taste probably,  but you can do a lot in DCS with a Hip.

hell no,

yes the apache is excellent, but i will still fly my other helicopters. Black Shark 1 brought me to the world of flightsim, will never forget my first "love" (BS2 now).

Especially the Mi-8 is a great challenge

• Like 1

Waiting for a Su-17/22, Su-34, F/A-18 Super Hornet and F-4F Phantom II

2.jpg