Do you regret buying other chopter modules after experiencing what Apache can do? (Trick question)

No I think each module offers different experiences. The Hind is still a lot of fun to fly & is great if you want to play on the Red side of scenarios! The Gazelle is very good for scout missions & would be great if people got together to do it right! Have a few Gazelles or even the KA50 scout out ahead and send coordinates etc back to the AH64’s to bring the big guns! I still enjoy flying the KA50 & for me is very easy to fly. So I’m liking each module for the things they are good at. 

im still trying to learn the Apache. I think my problem is my setup & just need to tweak it to work better in VR.

I seem to fly the KA50 better. Is it because of it's assisted flight? 

I got half decent (10% of a good pilot?) at hover and cruise flight, but can't descent and land the damn thing without crashing. I didn't have this issue with the KA50, especially in hover mode lol.

Maybe I do need to check the mi8 out.

I prefer older women birds helos not for their simplicity but more hands-on nature. Modern avionics are fine in fast jets, but down in the weeds I feel too disconnected from what's going on. I prefer point-and-shoot rather than click-click-point-target-shoot.

Keeping my eyes out the cockpit is #1 for me when in the weeds. Not staring at a display.

I don't like the fact AH-64 really requires two-crew. I rarely get the chance to fly with anyone often, and then, we prefer to fly our own ships.

For me, I'll be taking either the BS or Hip into combat (though the Hip is a bit too fragile). The Huey is also good if employing guns.

Edited by Tiger-II
  • Like 1

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

oh HELL no!

Ka-50 BS1 (2008) was a day 1 (if not pre-order just can't remember).  I have them all, and fly them all (well, not the 24 much).  I enjoy each one for what it is (yes that includes the SA342).  I just recently starting putting time in the 8, and not sure what took me so long.

There is a script one can run to make the SA342 lase for other planes and that is a blast.

Yes, I think the AH-64D will be a great module, but I will still fly all the others (the 24 is the only one in question atm).

So enjoy all the helos that we have and all the ones to come.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

21 hours ago, razorseal said:

I seem to fly the KA50 better. Is it because of it's assisted flight? 

I got half decent (10% of a good pilot?) at hover and cruise flight, but can't descent and land the damn thing without crashing. I didn't have this issue with the KA50, especially in hover mode lol.

Maybe I do need to check the mi8 out.

The apache is all assisted flight,. computers in the background for sure.

On 3/18/2022 at 9:30 AM, VFGiPJP said:

Do you regret buying other chopter modules after experiencing what Apache can do? (Trick question)

No, not really, except perhaps the Hind which I'm not fond of because of how it's yaw trim is modelled (to such an extent I was a little worried how the Apache would be).

However, even with the Hind, I can't regret the purchase as I wouldn't have known it's flaws without trying it.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

13 hours ago, SCPanda said:

I regret buying the Apache. But I can't refund it so I have to live with it. 

I hate flying this thing. It feels stupidly overcomplicated to fly. I prefer the handling of Huey. Simple and straightforward. 

I hesitated before buying it because I thought it would be too complicated for me to enjoy. But after a few for-dummies videos I had the guns and rockets going, the George fired Hellfires working, and the night visions happening it all it's glory. I'll never use this module to 100% potential, but I've already learned enough to have some fun with it and enjoy some of the tech toys.

I'm sure you'll find some fun to have with it. 

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

To this day, the Huey remains my favorite chopper. While configured as a gunship with rockets and door gunners with gatling guns ... you can deliver hell to light armored targets in no time. More time flying and fighting, and less time doing screen/sensor setups.

DCS is a simulator. So in the end what does really count is the amount of fun you had during the time you spent in it.

The apache is probably the most efficient chopper of the game and a nice module, but it does not mean in any way that it is the funniest to play with.

I will still fly the Huey like crazy, and the Hind will be second. 

Edited by Frag

Apache brings that juicy multi-crew into fruition for me.  F-14 is inferior to the F-18 (fight me) which myself and my friend already own, so don’t have an incentive for that.  The other multi-crew modules are really just the “Pilot and his side-kick” show, really boring if you aren’t the one flying.  Apache is that module for me that I fly with my buddy and just have a good time while also being extremely lethal.

If I’m playing without my friend, it’s the Ka-50 for me without a doubt.  I only play on multiplayer servers which locks me in the pilot seat.  While the George AI is passable once you get to learn in him, you really can’t beat having full control of both flight and weaponry.  Plus I find the coaxial configuration is significantly more stable in a hover

The only one for which I would say I regret it - sort of - is the Gazelle. That has nothing at all to do with the Apache tho. I somewhat knew what it was like and that it wasn't really for me and still bought it. Lack of skill in making purchase decisions I guess. It's a fun twitchy chopper, but really not for me. For the others, KA50, Hind, Huey no regret whatsoever. Looking forward to the dorgunners in the Hind. It's a beast as it is, and very different to the Apache and Shark, but dorgunners will make it even better. Don't have the Hip yet, and don't think I'll get it.

• 7 months later...
On 3/21/2022 at 11:34 AM, SCPanda said:

I regret buying the Apache. But I can't refund it so I have to live with it. 

I hate flying this thing. It feels stupidly overcomplicated to fly. I prefer the handling of Huey. Simple and straightforward. 

Same here, especially since i play solo, The-Ka50 handles a lot better, doesn' t have overcomplicated systems (that don't work properly, like boresightin calibration and track ir for instance). Another big frustration is the unintuitive way to control george ( system with jester was great, ed's system is NOT great , george as a c/p is a complete fail. )

All in all I really tried liking this module, but the reality is that the apache is a pain to fly, on top of that you get...george..the idiot gunner.

The apache feels like flying a sitting duck. In multiplayer i found helicopters not very enjoyable either, it takes ages to get anywhere, meanwhile you are being bullied by jets, and you have to kill tons of groundunits to get some points.

The apache looks great and the model and sounds are awesome don't get me wrong, but gameplay wise....not so much.

I don't think there is a module in existence with worse training missions then this one.

No not at all, for instance the ka-50 is a great attack helicopter, great to fly.

I actually regret buying the apache dlc too soon.

a pain to fly, worst training mission of all the modules, and ...george.

On 3/20/2022 at 4:43 PM, razorseal said:

I don't fly helos often. I have huey ka50 and apache.

I didn't get hind because it just doesn't interest me much. plus I don't really like the 2 man team with AI being my assistant that takes their human error out. 

That's why I enjoy the KA-50... it's just you and the plane. I'm also little better flying that helicopter including the auto hover help and better torque control since it's non tail rotor.

I just don't really enjoy russian made vehicles much (the screen thing in russian confuses me, the talking and all).

so there really isn't a helicopter out there for me. I don't see the point of huey and mi-8 in a shooting sim.

sooo long story short, i got the apache, messing around with it, but I'm more concentrated on the F16 now as it's really starting to mature and be one of the best modern planes we have (more modern than our now retired F18C)

Don' t worry about the ai taking the human error out, it will put back 10 times more errors. trust me, having george is not an advantage.

I love the Apache. It's my 'go to' chopper for being effective in the battlefield. I kinda wish they were going to give us stingers on the tips, but I get that it hasn't been used like this in real life. (Still would make it far more effective in DCS).

I still love and fly the Huey. My absolute favourite for just going for a fly - or CTLD work.

The KA50 I had, and enjoyed thoroughly however since the Apache is out - I probably won't fly it much anymore as I prefer the features and flight model of the Apache. (To be fair, I used the KA50 as a weapons platform more than enjoying the flight model. I prefer the challenge of a more conventional helicopter as opposed to a coaxial but that's just personal preference).

The Hind for me was a filler until the Apache arrived. Something new and different, and I got my moneys worth out of it. No regrets, and I still fly it occasionally for, again, something a little different but will probably remain in the hanger most of the time. (Let's face it - you can't fly all the modules all the time) 😉

The Gazelle I've never flown in MP or missions - just to see what it's like and tinker with the weapon systems. For me this is probably the only helicopter if I had hindsight that I would probably have no purchased. It didn't have enough effective weapons to be used as a weapons platform (when compared to other available choppers) and whether realistic or not - I didn't enjoy the FM. That wouldn't have stopped me from getting the Kiowa, however now that the Apache is out - and can basically lase too - I'm left wondering what purpose it would serve (for me). If the FM was different and something extremely enjoyable and a challenge to fly well, then I might consider it.  

Black hawk would probably be an instant buy for me (especially if it could be loaded will hell-fires!) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DoctorVixen said:

No not at all, for instance the ka-50 is a great attack helicopter, great to fly.

I actually regret buying the apache dlc too soon.

a pain to fly, worst training mission of all the modules, and ...george.

And months later we're still here. 🙂

I took the Apache out yesterday, first time in a while, and I'm still blown away by how nice it is and how great the night vision capabilities are. And it's still a horrendous pain in the azz to fly well. For me it's as hard to fly as all the other choppers combined. And I have all the choppers. I don't regret buying it because I like to have the fanciest flightsim tech toys available, and this is a very fancy toy. Winter just kicked in here so maybe I'll take the time to (re) learn a few things and see if I can manage it any better.

Now where's my BS3? :smoke:

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Yes, this is a trick post, especially when the great (and free) UH-60L is involved. 😛

No, no, no, none of the helo modules purchased is a regret, I am not a collector, as I don't buy things I don't like. Frankly, I am still trying to figure out the Apache, which happens to be very different from the Jane's one. 🙂

Even Hind is a different beast to conquer -- this is the only copter out there which can rush into the hail of machine gun and AAA fire and get out of there. Then you can shoot down unsuspecting low-flying jet with a smug on your face. 😎

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants
  • Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

The Apache is such a badass beast……I love it and can‘t get enough of it!!!🤩🤩🤩

But I love the other whirlybirds as well. They have different power, behave different and arecused in different roles. I won‘t miss any of them, even I have flown just a few hours in some of them….I love helicopters …..I love DCS!!!

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - FC3 - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO105 - CH-47F - AH-1G(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Afghanistan - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer)

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

Nope.

The diversity of designs is the best thing that DCS offers.... each module can be felt.

The Apache is a delivery system, slow and ponderous is its path, well protected and well armed is its ethos..... and I love it!

Do I regret buying other modules?

The flight characteristics of the Hind right now is pretty sweet! stable in flight and Aggressive in weapon delivery.

The Gazelle has an engagement profile that is presently, far superior to other attack choppers... until FCR or OH-58D.

The KA-50 is fabulous.... simply fabulous!

The others are logistics choppers that carry weapons... they are logistics choppers!

I really look forward to the BO-105 and OH-58D.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Haha no, not at all. I'm glad there are helicopters in my hangar that aren't stuffed with these silly computers. Huey 4 life homie. B-)

Modules: AH-64D, Mi-24P, UH-1H, F-14, F-18C, CA, SC    Terrains: Sinai, Strait of Hormuz, Syria    -    Wishlist: Desert Storm map, 1950s Sinai, Navy Phantom, A-6, Mirage F1EQ, AH-64A, MiG-17/23/25/29, dynamic campaign, live/historical weather - Social credit score: -20