Anyone tested the Yak Updates already?

Hiob

I've done a couple of flights.

For "Improved air-flow calculations from the propeller that makes easier lifting nose gear during take-off" - I have nothing special to say. It looks that something is different now, but not significantly. Needs more testing, but my take-offs/landings are a bit better now, this is for sure.

For "Improved flight dynamics for more realistic inverted aerobatic maneuvers" I am not qualified enough to say anything, I do not fly inverted aerobatic.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, more manageable take-offs and landings, as well as accurate up/downl turns. I also can't say anything about aerobatic maneuvers. A really nice plane, which gives a lot of satisfactions. Unfortunately after so many years he is still in EA.

antonio.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 9:36 PM, Beirut said:

It flies nicely, but then I always enjoyed it.

But please... please... some kind of night lighting for the gauges. A little tritium like on my watch maybe? Please? 

I'm not sure if the Yak-52 its IFR capable IRL. Most probably the version modelled it is not, so it does not have any lighting of any kind. In fact it doesn't have any switch or button related.

But I agree it could be a nice addition, with a cockpit integrated NS430, for a newer version. They have few modules with it already.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1987kess said:

I'm not sure if the Yak-52 its IFR capable IRL. Most probably the version modelled it is not, so it does not have any lighting of any kind. In fact it doesn't have any switch or button related.

But I agree it could be a nice addition, with a cockpit integrated NS430, for a newer version. They have few modules with it already.

You only have a flashlight, which is probably true to life.

Does anyone else notice weird noises in the cockpit? Like somebody is constantly opening and closing a hatch or something. I can't pin it down yet. 

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

51 minutes ago, 1987kess said:

I know it may not be a real life addition, but I still want it. It's such a nice plane and 10-cents worth of glow in the dark paint on the gauges would be lovely. It's a shame that you go out at dusk or dawn for a mellow flight and the cockpit is just a smudge of bleah. Real life or no, it seems like a killer oversight on the part of the devs. I mean, they just put a trimmer reset button on the Apache just to make life easier for the people who bought it, and there's no such thing on the real chopper apparently.

I want my tritium gauges!  😭

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

On 3/18/2022 at 6:30 AM, Hiob said:

Any Feedback yet?

Can't say I notice any difference, but then again, I'm just enjoying the sunset cruise around the Mariana Islands.

14 hours ago, Beirut said:

I know it may not be a real life addition, but I still want it. It's such a nice plane and 10-cents worth of glow in the dark paint on the gauges would be lovely. It's a shame that you go out at dusk or dawn for a mellow flight and the cockpit is just a smudge of bleah. Real life or no, it seems like a killer oversight on the part of the devs. I mean, they just put a trimmer reset button on the Apache just to make life easier for the people who bought it, and there's no such thing on the real chopper apparently.

I want my tritium gauges!  😭

I kind of like the Yak in all its natural beauty, but wouldn't see a problem with this as a setting that could be adjusted according to user preference.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

Can't say I notice any difference, but then again, I'm just enjoying the sunset cruise around the Mariana Islands.

I kind of like the Yak in all its natural beauty, but wouldn't see a problem with this as a setting that could be adjusted according to user preference.

Agreed. If the user wants a basic cockpit, that could be in the "specials" options like when you choose a new or old cockpit for the A-10C II.

But I'll bet just a little tritium paint on the gauges would win you over as soon as you were going for a dusk landing. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Beirut said:

Agreed. If the user wants a basic cockpit, that could be in the "specials" options like when you choose a new or old cockpit for the A-10C II.

But I'll bet just a little tritium paint on the gauges would win you over as soon as you were going for a dusk landing. 

Changing trim settings in the apache is probably equivalent to changing a few lines of code in the source files. What you are asking for is significant texturing work for an artist, and well....it's not like the Yak is going to sell thousands of extra modules because of that change. 

I sympathize, but it's probably never going to happen. Man-Work hours cost money, and they already have yours. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Changing trim settings in the apache is probably equivalent to changing a few lines of code in the source files. What you are asking for is significant texturing work for an artist, and well....it's not like the Yak is going to sell thousands of extra modules because of that change. 

I sympathize, but it's probably never going to happen. Man-Work hours cost money, and they already have yours. 

Other planes see cockpit updates. There's always hope. 

I flew the Yak for the first time last night in about... well... well before the New Year at any rate.

Not sure I noticed much difference in the flight model. It might be easier to maintain steady state, level flight speed at lower throttle settings.

Take off seemed to take less speed and rotation - but still feels kind of weird to me... like the tires are sticky with the pavement or something. I've never been able to take off without feeling like I've had to give the old girl a kick in the ass to separate from the ground.

I haven't delved in to aerobatic flying so can't say if there's noticeable changes at 10/10ths of the performance envelope. Like a lot of people I just use the plane as a relaxing day touring and bush flying craft.

Once upon a time I posted a feature request post that suggested what real life Yak owners are doing... retrofitting lighted gauges, NS430 type devices, and larger internal fuel tanks in the wings. One can dream.

Last night's flight was pretty good. About an hour in I got lost in the twilight and low ceiling trying to get down from the flat lands east of Batumi into the valley that leads to the airport. Landscape up there reminds me of Labrador a bit - never been on that part of the map before - at least not at a low enough altitude to notice what it was like near the ground. It always makes me smile when the ground vehicles turn on their headlights. Silly.

I noticed on user files there is a recent trim fix mod to make her fly straight. I may try that tonight.

Edited by reece146
  • Like 2

Have you had the chance to enjoy the Mariana Islands in the Yak? Here is a mission for the Yak/CEII/TF-50D. You can fly the Mustang trainer (blue) from Saipan to Pegan, or takeoff from Pagan in the Yak/CEII (red). If you have CA, you can also drive around Pagan Island. I put a red/blue FARP on Pagan, but not sure why I can't get them to work. I made the exact same FARP on Saipan just to test it, and had no problems.

If anyone can figure out why the FARP doesn't work on Pagan Island in this mission, I would sure appreciate it. 

Screen1.png

Screen2.png

Yak FARP.miz

• Like 3

12 hours ago, reece146 said:

I noticed on user files there is a recent trim fix mod to make her fly straight. I may try that tonight.

To fix the trim, there is only one value to change in a fmoptions.lua.

I made that myself and saved it in an OVGME ready format. I can attach it here tonight when I'm home if you like.

Edit: Oh wait - I already uploaded it here:

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/213140-fix-for-rudder-problems/

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

10 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

If anyone can figure out why the FARP doesn't work on Pagan Island in this mission, I would sure appreciate it. 

An airbase/FARP can only be one side or the other, otherwise it is considered contested and owned by neither side.

The mix of Blue and Red FARP objects, etc. at Pagan Airfield make the airfield "contested" and red aircraft can't rearm/refuel there.

Screen_220414_162143.jpg

Removing the Blue FARP objects allows Pagan Airfield to switch to the Red side and refuel/rearm red aircraft.

Screen_220414_164441.jpg

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

For me the problem still with the Yak is the engine management. It just goes to more than 150º oil temperature, and that should break the engine, because it remains all the time there even the cowl flaps or refigerators are all open. Would like to see at same level as the wardbirds.

• Like 3

Thanks for the missions. I'll give them a go. I've been flying the Marianas mostly with the Hind - but not lately.

I have a bunch of pre-mande missions for the Yak on Caucasus so normally I just grab one of those missions and go from there. Finding the time to get beyond hopping into the seat and flying is hard these days. I'll try out your mission next time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ramsay said:

An airbase/FARP can only be one side or the other, otherwise it is considered contested and owned by neither side.

The mix of Blue and Red FARP objects, etc. at Pagan Airfield make the airfield "contested" and red aircraft can't rearm/refuel there.

Screen_220414_162143.jpg

Removing the Blue FARP objects allows Pagan Airfield to switch to the Red side and refuel/rearm red aircraft.

Screen_220414_164441.jpg

@Ramsay, thank you very much! I originally had it all red, but that only allowed me to use a bare metal skin for the Mustang. The same thing happens to the Yak if I make it all blue. First time I have had to deal with the issue of contested airfields, so thanks again for pointing that out.

Obviously, the focus of the mission is simply pleasure cruising at tree top, or in a vehicle.

Fly the Mustang out to Pagan, refuel and keep going, or explore the area around Pagan in the Yak/CEII. I guess I will have to switch the Mustang back to bare metal since the emphasis was really meant to be on the Yak.

Is there anyway to set it up so that I can fly the Mustang out to Pagan, and after landing hop in either the Yak/CEII/ground vehicle for a tour before jumping back in the Mustang?

I'm not in game at the moment, but if I change all the player/client aircraft to Ai, could I then use the Game Master slot to fly/drive all the different planes/vehicles.

What happens currently when I select either of the planes, the others don't spawn in obviously. Any ground units are still available because "Pilot can drive" is set Combined Arms.   

1 hour ago, Japo32 said:

For me the problem still with the Yak is the engine management. It just goes to more than 150º oil temperature, and that should break the engine, because it remains all the time there even the cowl flaps or refigerators are all open. Would like to see at same level as the wardbirds.

Yeah, I really hope we see systems/DM completed soon. It would make flying the Yak that much more interesting. Island hoping is just an example of a non-military use of the Yak/CEII, but we obviously need all the systems correctly modeled to make it more challenging.

1 hour ago, reece146 said:

Thanks for the missions. I'll give them a go. I've been flying the Marianas mostly with the Hind - but not lately.

I have a bunch of pre-mande missions for the Yak on Caucasus so normally I just grab one of those missions and go from there. Finding the time to get beyond hopping into the seat and flying is hard these days. I'll try out your mission next time.

The Caucasus has a lot of beautiful scenery for sure, but I like the change of pace that the Mariana Islands can offer. Must be great in a helicopter as well. 

Re: the Mustang livery - you can hand edit the livery file to unlock it from the country code. I don't have it in front of me but iirc is pretty straightforward, typically last line in the livery file.

The Marianas is nice for certain. Really looking forward to the WW2 version.

I also enjoy Cyprus/Syria. I like to buzz around my old haunts in Nicosia and Larnaca when I was a kid.

15 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

I originally had it all red, but that only allowed me to use a bare metal skin for the Mustang.

Use "Combined Joint Task Force" (doesn't matter if red or blue) and you have all units with all skins.

• Thanks 1
Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

@iFoxRomeo, thanks that will definitely fix the issue.

So does that mean if I use both red and blue "Combined Joint Task Force" for a 1 v 1 Combined Arms mission, its possible to give both players the same units with the same skins? I didn't realize that, but am just thinking how I might be able to use this to help simulate captured enemy equipment.