Are tutorials top secret now?

Beirut

Apparently the Grim Reapers aren't doing in-depth tutorials anymore, at least with the Apache it seems, and another video reviewer made a point of saying it's for entertainment purposes only and that some questions and discussions in the comments section might get deleted?

Are we all walking on eggshells here? Should I be expecting a knock on the door at 3am? 😲

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

I don't know anything regardring the GR.

Regarding Casmo, I think he has to be especially careful because he is a former member of the US military. He probably is ristricted by contract/law of doing certain things that could be touching confidential/classified information.

I don't think that any civil/non-us citizen or customer is restricted in the same way.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Cap at the GR mentioned something happening "behind the scenes" and said no more in depth tutorials. He kept saying "for the layman" when he was explaining things, as if he was being careful on purpose.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Cap at the GR mentioned something happening "behind the scenes" and said no more in depth tutorials. He kept saying "for the layman" when he was explaining things, as if he was being careful on purpose.

That sucks a lot.

Regarding casmo’s disclaimer, as with any of these dcs modules and wags will tell you because ED has said it multiple times, there’s some military documentation that has made it to the internet that is actually classified but is being distributed publicly. Casmo is just giving people a heads up on what to avoid. 

• Like 3

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have GR ever done in-depth tutorials?
Between Casmo (who have done in-depth tutorials on helicopter tactics and tecniques in the past) and Wags, I think we have all we need. I am sure Casmo will post loads of more interesting vids in the coming weeks. Some things we do not need in-depth knowledge about, given the present world situation. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, doedkoett said:

Have GR ever done in-depth tutorials?

I know some people don't like them, but GR tutorials have got me through tons of stuff, and I've bought some modules based solely on their reviews and was happy with my purchases.

But yes, they have done some in-depth videos. I think they have some tutorials on systems management (MFDs and radars) that run 30+ minutes and get pretty deep into the details.

• Like 12

The GR library of tutorials is the best DCS collection of beginner learning resources in the community. Yes, other people have more accurate and more detailed vids out there but no one covers everything like GR. If they really can’t provide this service to the community anymore for whatever reason that’s a big loss to new and old players alike

• Like 9

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I am not saying their tutorials aren't helpful. But the ones I have seen have been more of the simpler "to do this, press this" kind of tutorial - which in no way is bad, it´s the stuff a beginner might need to get started. The more detailed "why's" and "when" can come later.
I never intended to bash on GR.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, doedkoett said:

I am not saying their tutorials aren't helpful. But the ones I have seen have been more of the simpler "to do this, press this" kind of tutorial - which in no way is bad, it´s the stuff a beginner might need to get started. The more detailed "why's" and "when" can come later.
I never intended to bash on GR.

I think a lot of the shorter videos are good for being able to learn small stuff quickly and have some fun, that keeps people flying. I watched their latest video, Apache for Dummies, and had the guns and rockets going in no time. 

I've watched 100+ of their videos at least. I fly, then I hit GR to learn to do more stuff and have fun watching, then back to DCS and fly, then back to GR... and over and over and over. Grim Reapers have been instrumental to my enjoyment of DCS.

Just now, Sajarov said:

GR never did in-depth tutorials

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk

You stand corrected, my esteemed fellow flyer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BRikkTop said:

Cap commented under the latest GR video about this. Basically he is tired of making more detailed Tutorials and wants more recognition for his work.

Wants more recognition? I’ll check the video in question because that sounds lame.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

39 minutes ago, BRikkTop said:

Cap commented under the latest GR video about this. Basically he is tired of making more detailed Tutorials and wants more recognition for his work.

I'll give him the suggestion that producing videos that seem to be half-ar$ed on the fly won't give them any recognition. If I have to watch a "tutorial" three times to understand the baseline thought behind it, I'll just consider it a waste of time and not watch any more tutorials by them if there's other options.

Cut back on the randomness and make it more concise and clear, and he'll get some recognition in a heartbeat.

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Like 4

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

46 minutes ago, BRikkTop said:

If he wants more recognition then maybe he should do a better job with the videos. Even without their tasteless and questionable antics, I propably wouldn’t chose their videos as tutorials to learn things, especially not those done by Cap.

There are far better resources out there.

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

There is absolutely no secret here. Casmo is a former pilot with access to classified information about the aircraft, so he has to be careful as to what he can talk about. And I assume he doesn't want his channel to be a place where people share export restricted data from illegally obtained documents so things that reference the real world -10 instead of the in game manual would get deleted. Which is a very smart thing to do.

Cap is not a real pilot, he has no access to classified data and he clearly stated that there is no real secret, he's just tired of not getting the recognition and treatment from ED that he thinks he deserves. Whatever anyone thinks about the GR as a group is a different topic, the question at hand is that tutorial are not top secret, the Apache is not a more sensitive product than anything else and Cap isn't under any kind of official or legal responsibility to "keep things for the layman".

As a personal note, I'm incredibly glad that Cap's videos will be gone and high quality and well produced tutorials will get more recognition from now on. If someone can't enjoy DCS without the GR videos, maybe this isn't the appropriate game for them. 

Edited by Fromthedeep
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I've used many GR tutorials and always found that they had a place and gets you going fairly well. However if you have ever seen him on twitch it's clear he doesn't enjoy making them, gets frustrated and wants to get them done quickly. So probably better for him just to stick to what he likes. A shame maybe but others will fill the gap no doubt. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, S. Low said:

Wants more recognition? I’ll check the video in question because that sounds lame.

Reading some of the comments in his latest video, I find it sad the way that's all gone.  I was never a huge fan of GR for a variety of reasons, but acknowledge Cap's videos were helpful for those first steps to get things started and going.  A launching off point without burying in the technical.  

I figure content creators do what they do for the community, and for their own enjoyment, not for some kind of pat on the head or exclusive access from ED.  Maybe that's naïve of me.  But if Cap doesn't enjoy doing it for those reasons, then it's the right call not to do those videos anymore.  It's just sad that the community he has and the recognition he gets from it isn't enough for him.  Equally sad to see the posts being salty towards Wags and ED. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fromthedeep said:

As a personal note, I'm incredibly glad that Cap's videos will be gone and high quality and well produced tutorials will get more recognition from now. If someone can't enjoy DCS with the GR videos, maybe this isn't the appropriate game for them. 

They have almost 200k subscribers, hundreds of tutorials, and about 80 million views.  

You have 14 posts in a forum. 

Yeah. :smoke:

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, Fromthedeep said:

As a personal note, I'm incredibly glad that Cap's videos will be gone and high quality and well produced tutorials will get more recognition from now. If someone can't enjoy DCS with the GR videos, maybe this isn't the appropriate game for them. 

You'd be surprised how many people playing DCS, buying modules, and getting others to play the game are doing so because they saw a GR video on YouTube.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Beirut said:

They have almost 200k subscribers, hundreds of tutorials, and about 80 million views.  

You have 14 posts in a forum. 

What kind of point is that? Their tutorial quality has consistently been worse than virtually any other DCS content creator. The low quality, nonsensical tutorials they made reached a high enough audience because Cap was a master at playing the Youtube algorithm in his favour, with uplaoding 3 minute long tutorials to flood the search page, adding tags that have nothing to do with the video and other similar measures.

The fact that his videos are more popular than some excellent content creators with much higher quality videos isn't a testament to his skills regarding creating tutorials, it only demonstrates his skills to promote his content well enough. Which is of course part of the whole package as a content creator, but i'd much rather have high quality content that isn't promoted in a professional way than complete garbage that's using all the tricks in the book to flood everyone's Youtube recommendations and search results.

And if someone can't enjoy DCS without a specific content creator, is DCS the right game for them? They are a resource, even if you find their tutorials useful and high quality, there are many other tutorials like theirs, often made by people with much better technical knowledge, so at the very least, you'll still have access to just as good tutorials. As for their "entertaining" videos, they won't stop making them, so I'm sure that there will be enough people who get to see how the Battle of Hastings would change if the Norman forces had F-16s.

16 minutes ago, Krez said:

You'd be surprised how many people playing DCS, buying modules, and getting others to play the game are doing so because they saw a GR video on YouTube.

Again, if someone needs a tutorial to start playing DCS, there are many other channels to choose from. If someone needs to see how medieval battles would change if one side had fighter jets, they won't stop making those videos. It's an interesting question to ask though that if someone is attracted to DCS by seeing these types of videos, are they actually interested in the high fidelity aspect of the simulation or will they constantly complain when things get more realistic?

Edited by Fromthedeep
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Having watched both wagner's and GR tutorials on the F16, GR is much better, when I watch Wagner I often find myself,  hey how did you get to this point. GRs vidoes on the F16 are much better for us that are easily confused by complex stuff.

• Like 2

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

10 minutes ago, Fromthedeep said:

What kind of point is that?

An excellent one.

Their tutorial quality has consistently been worse than virtually any other DCS content creator. The low quality, nonsensical tutorials they made reached a high enough audience because Cap was a master at playing the Youtube algorithm in his favour, with updating 3 minute long tutorials to flood the search page, adding tags that have nothing to do with the video and other similar measures.

The fact that his videos are more popular than some excellent content creators with much higher quality videos isn't a testament to his skills regarding creating tutorials, it only demonstrates his skills to promote his content well enough. Which is of course part of the whole package, but i'd much rather have high quality content that isn't promoted in a professional way than complete garbage that's using all the tricks in the book to flood everyone's Youtube recommendations and search results.

You are oversimplifying the case based on personal bias. 

There are GR videos that are not great and some that are terrible. This is often the case with anyone who puts out hundreds of videos. But that does not take away from the fact that they also make a lot of very good tutorials that reach a wide audience. Your analysis of their success is without merit.  

Edit: They also made two videos based on my requests. I thought that was pretty cool.

And if someone can't enjoy DCS without a specific content creator, is DCS the right game for them? They are a resource, even if you find their tutorials useful and high quality, there are many other tutorials like theirs, often made by people with much better technical knowledge, so at the very least, you'll still have access to just as good tutorials. As for their "entertaining" videos, they won't stop making them, so I'm sure that there will be enough people who get to see how the Battle of Hastings would change if the Norman forces had F-16s.

I'm uncertain who cannot enjoy DCS without the Grim Reapers? You have referred to this twice. I know of no such person. For my part, I watch DCS videos from several content creators. Amongst them, the Grim Reapers. And I like the Grim Reapers. A lot of their tutorials are excellent.

Edited by Beirut
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Fromthedeep said:

What kind of point is that? Their tutorial quality has consistently been worse than virtually any other DCS content creator. The low quality, nonsensical tutorials they made reached a high enough audience because Cap was a master at playing the Youtube algorithm in his favour, with updating 3 minute long tutorials to flood the search page, adding tags that have nothing to do with the video and other similar measures.

The fact that his videos are more popular than some excellent content creators with much higher quality videos isn't a testament to his skills regarding creating tutorials, it only demonstrates his skills to promote his content well enough. Which is of course part of the whole package, but i'd much rather have high quality content that isn't promoted in a professional way than complete garbage that's using all the tricks in the book to flood everyone's Youtube recommendations and search results.

Again, if someone needs a tutorial to start playing DCS, there are many other channels to choose from. If someone needs to see how medieval battles would change if one side had fighter jets, they won't stop making those videos. It's an interesting question to ask though that if someone is attracted to DCS by seeing these types of videos, are they actually interested in the high fidelity aspect of the simulation or will they constantly complain when things get more realistic?

Most people can have two thoughts in their head at the same time, GR can at times be extremely entertaining, but that doesn't take away from anything DCS does. The fact the game/simulator let's you fly an 8 hours hard-core milsim mission and also let's you blow up tiger tanks in an A-10 is a good thing. Even if you don't want to blow up tigers in an A-10 it can still be very entertaining to see fun people do it

Maybe don't take yourself or a computer game too seriously.

• Like 3

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

18 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I'm uncertain who cannot enjoy DCS without the Grim Reapers? You have referred to this twice. I know of no such person. For my part, I watch DCS videos from several content creators. Amongst them, the Grim Reapers. And I like the Grim Reapers. A lot of their tutorials are excellent.

To be fair, there are people on the AH-64 video he posted claiming they won't buy another module until Cap is respected the way he wants.  Most are probably not going to actually follow through with that, internet bluster is such a fun thing for so many, but who knows, maybe some will follow through.  So apparently there are some people who are bigger fans of GR than of the game.