Open Season Apache - AH-64D Dynamic Persistent Campaign

ataribaby

Hello The Saint, I do not plan this "all" heli version. I have it bit story "driven" in briefing around one flyable type per side. So yes I will create KA-50 version as someone requested it.

Edited by ataribaby

• 2 weeks later...

Attached my log, not exactly sure what to look for error wise. I see a few lines that say error, looks like a lot of textures/graphic related stuff to me, but again, I am not an expert.

Screenshot just shows folder layout to make sure it's correct. Files are installed under the main DCS.openbeta mission folder. I do see a few people mentioning installing the files under \Saved Games\DCS\Missions. If I understand this correctly, would this be the folder for the standard DCS world game? I have both DCS open Beta and DCS World installed so under my \Saved Games directory I already have a file for DCS and DCS.openbeta. I installed them to the main DCS game as well, but still no luck in getting it to work.

When I click on DDC_Open_Season_Apache_mission_loader from the list, it goes to a loading screen and nothing happens. I get the "FLY" button, but it's just a blank map. Tried it both on single and MP, same results. No other mods are installed and I've copied the script text to DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\MissionScripting.

64Folder.png

dcs.log

Hi firefox83 by quick look I do not see anything suspicious in log. I see from files that stage mission has been generated and persist file was created. It means you probably ran stage mission manually. Seems for some reason DCS cannot autoload next mission for you for some reason.

Yes loader mission is just blank map. You should see terrain briefly after you hit fly button and after it generated stage mission it should autoload stage mission.

Loop should be: you start loader mission that loads up, generate stage mission and immediately autoload that stage mission and at the end of stage time it will autoload loader and so on until time runs out or victory conditions. 

Strange, I have no idea what is wrong. Can you try that reset mission please? It is same as loader plus it resets and starts new campaign.

BTW campaign is designed to work in both SP and MP.

Edited by ataribaby

I gave it a shot, but seems like I am having the same issues. I deleted the persist file as well, but as you mentioned, I did autoload the stage mission at one point. 

Going through the process, I clicked the reset option all the way through the fly option, and same deal, just end up with a blank map. Just to check, after trying the reset option, I went back and tried clicking loader again, but same deal.

've deleted all the files as well and copied them back over, but no luck. Current version of the Beta is 2.7.11.22211, if that makes a difference at all. Sorry for all the questions, first time using the beta, and only got it for the AH-64, lol. 

Stage 1.png

Stage 2.png

Stage 3.png

Ok when you press that FLY button on Loader mission you are just watching on empty map and nothing loads right?

I think you are doing all right. I have no idea why it doesn't load stage mission. It is simple LoadMission trigger action in Mission Editor. 

Edited by ataribaby

Here it is how it should looks like. Latest beta.

If loader doesn't autoload stage mission for you and you did all right I have no idea what's wrong yet. Please look into your dcs.log for possible errors. It is simple loadMission trigger in mission that loads next mission, no black magic.

Can you guys show me portion of dcs.log from moment you load loader mission? From log above I am not sure if loader has been opened or stage.

That is correct, click "fly" and nothing happens, just looking at a blank map.

However, everything appears to be working now, not sure why. I deleted my log files, replaced the mission files and re-pasted the script to the MissionScripting.lua.

Should be noted, I did these steps a few times already.

Went back to the game to load the mission and create a data file again and bam, it loaded up this time. Not sure why or how, as I haven't done anything different, but tested it out, at first mission looks like its working with no problems.

Update: Tested the rest option and that worked as well. Not sure what fixed it, but everything seems to be working now. Again, appreciate the help.

Edited by firefox83

Great that campaign works for you now. I am bit curious what was cause but it seems to be mystery forever. 

BTW you can end stage mission anytime and later run loader again (always run campaign via loader, even if you quit stage in progress) and it will resume from that point.

Just watch out for Shilkas and SA-8 out there 😉

Edited by ataribaby
  • Like 1

Hello there,

First of all great work ! I've always dreamed about persistence within DCS.

I got a small issue which prevents me to finish the first stage.

It appears two of my targets area cannot be completed. Thing is despite finding and destroying one or two targets at each of these zones, I cannot get the trigger.

Then if I look for targets within the F10 menu, it gives me the coordinates of the already dead targets (there's nothing left really).

Do you think it might be related to ED cook off feature ?

Thanks !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Voodooflies, this should be fixed in latest version. What version it says when you enter mission? It should say 1.3 and 2.4.

Please tell me what targets doesn't trigger completion and send me your DDC_Open_Season_Apache_persist.dat file. Is there chance that your persistence file was already broken when you started play it on previous version that had that DCS cookoff problem?

Maybe I introduced some bug and it went tits up on your end. I completed latest version without problem when I tested it.

I will suggest to check if you have latest version and restart campaign with DDC_Open_Season_Apache_mission_reset.miz or delete DDC_Open_Season_Apache_persist.dat manualy.

Edited by ataribaby

5 hours ago, ataribaby said:

Hi Voodooflies, this should be fixed in latest version. What version it says when you enter mission? It should say 1.3 and 2.4.

Please tell me what targets doesn't trigger completion and send me your DDC_Open_Season_Apache_persist.dat file. Is there chance that your persistence file was already broken when you started play it on previous version that had that DCS cookoff problem?

Maybe I introduced some bug and it went tits up on your end. I completed latest version without problem when I tested it.

I will suggest to check if you have latest version and restart campaign with DDC_Open_Season_Apache_mission_reset.miz or delete DDC_Open_Season_Apache_persist.dat manualy.

Apparently I have 1.1 and 2.4. So that may be the issue indeed ! I downloaded the mission from ED User Files 3 days ago or so, I thought I was up-to-date.

The targets being bugged are T-72 Platoon #1 and #2.

Is there a way to keep my progression so I don't have to restart everything ? I also added the FARP you designed previously to my stage_template so could it be an issue as for the persistence if my progression can be restored along the newest version ?

DDC_Open_Season_Apache_persist.dat

Edited by Voodooflies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1.1 is strange It must me 1.3. Issues has been fixed in 1.2 so if you fly 1.1 you suffer from cookoff DCS bug.

Please redownload and check if it is now 1.3 version of campaign and 2.4 of engine.

I am affraid you  need restart campaign under 1.3 version. Sorry about that 😞

Edited by ataribaby

I've finished the campaign in about 2 hours. It was fun ! Any chance you make something similar on Syria ? What is missing on top of the peristence would be voice acting and I'd be sold. I really like the fact the weather including the QNH s generated randomly, at start. Thanks for marking this.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Glad you sorted it and campaign finally worked for you. Well voice acting will be awesome but it is out of my skills. You can get little bit of this if you enable Allied Flights Reports in Game Options. You should get little chit chat then when on correct frequency.

Syria is doable, campaign engine is universal and possible to implement for any map.

Edited by ataribaby
  • Like 1

Sure, I played some missions as gunner using George Pilot AI. Just run autostart as pilot and wait for finish then switch to Gunner and use George AI Pilot commads. Do not use MAX speed for AI pilot as he then have insufficient collective authority go go over hills. I found 120 as speed is fine.

Edited by ataribaby
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2022 at 3:44 AM, ataribaby said:

BTW you can end stage mission anytime and later run loader again (always run campaign via loader, even if you quit stage in progress) and it will resume from that point.

Hello. Looking forward to trying this. Curious what you mean by ending mission and resuming. What ends a stage? When you land back at base or are destroyed?

Thanks!

You can quit stage anytime you wish and later run campaign again via loader, It will start where you left, time of day, weather, state of battlefield. All this is continually persisting during your flight. Sure, units in the air are not "saved" at their positions. They need takeoff again but battlefield itself is persisted.

Stage normally auto ends after time is spent for stage, I think it is around 240 minutes. You will get notification in advance to RTB and Stage ends and loads new one if you keep playing.

But you don't need finish stage in one go in Single player or hosted MP. With dedicated server install war simply goes on with next stage even without players.

Campaign ends when objectives are met by one or both sides then after stage ends by time spent or by quit it and rerun loader you will see result.

Hope that helped you.

Edited by ataribaby

3 hours ago, ataribaby said:

You can quit stage anytime you wish and later run campaign again via loader, It will start where you left, time of day, weather, state of battlefield. All this is continually persisting during your flight. Sure, units in the air are not "saved" at their positions. They need takeoff again but battlefield itself is persisted.

Stage normally auto ends after time is spent for stage, I think it is around 240 minutes. You will get notification in advance to RTB and Stage ends and loads new one if you keep playing.

But you don't need finish stage in one go in Single player or hosted MP. With dedicated server install war simply goes on with next stage even without players.

Campaign ends when objectives are met by one or both sides then after stage ends by time spent or by quit it and rerun loader you will see result.

Hope that helped you.

thank you. good info!

• 3 weeks later...

What are the different “stages” of the mission?

When I ask for a Sit Rep I see “Stage 1/12” at the top with maybe 16-20 targets listed.  We killed all of the primary targets and the mission said RTB, then loaded the “blue end” mission and said we won.

I was expecting a “Stage 2” to take place, with another set of primary targets to pop up somewhere else. Did something not load right to continue, or did we reach the end?

On 5/13/2022 at 4:02 AM, Floyd1212 said:

What are the different “stages” of the mission?

When I ask for a Sit Rep I see “Stage 1/12” at the top with maybe 16-20 targets listed.  We killed all of the primary targets and the mission said RTB, then loaded the “blue end” mission and said we won.

I was expecting a “Stage 2” to take place, with another set of primary targets to pop up somewhere else. Did something not load right to continue, or did we reach the end?

Congrats, you won war just during first stages. All worked as planned. Campaign can be max 12 stages long. You did it in first stage. Take stages as parts of days as time progresses and time progresses as well as new weather is generated for next stage. State of battlefield is persistent thru stages. No new ones are generated.

Blue end means blue side won war. I presume you was blue so you won. Campaign then resets and can be played again.

When I play alone it takes me usually 3 stages to win or loose. But I am not good Apache pilot/CPG 😉

Edited by ataribaby

Thanks for the info. 

It was a fun mission that we will definitely fly again. 👍

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it was only after starting the mission up again that I noticed the Stage 1/12 at the top.  It took us a few evenings of poking at them to finish it.

Edited by Floyd1212