Side-by-side of new and old FM

Theodore42

I made a side-by-side comparison of an F-16 doing a Cuban 8 maneuver from an old patch to this patch. Big differences!

Unfortunately you can't see my throttle inputs but the new FM required a lot less power.

Going through the entire airshow routine I found all the marks much easier to hit. Often the manual would say things like "play the back pressure (pitch) in ensure 200kts at the apex." With the old FM there was no play, there was pretty much just a line you had to carefully follow to hit all your marks. The new FM feels like if you follow the maneuver descriptions then hitting the marks is an easy task.

I noticed the AoA may be higher at lower speeds, as was suggested elsewhere. But it looks like this AoA increase doesn't affect how the Viper accelerates, so that's interesting. My only criticism might be that the High Alpha Pass (the lowest of low speed AoA states) doesn't have enough drag, but that's only a first impression.

The most surprising thing added is the feeling of flying the Viper through the air. The increased rate of G-onset feels really great. More subtly, maneuvers like the triple aileron roll and knife edge pass feel more authentic. Even flying a 3/4 inverted pass feels so much more real now whereas before flying these maneuvers felt like manipulating an FLCS program in simulated air. These are some pretty minute expressions coming out of ED's Viper.

Preliminary verdict: Nice job!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, PaulGleeson said:

how do i install this update?

Hi Paul - you need to be on the Open Beta release version. If you're on Steam, this is as simple as right clicking on the game, opening the properties menu, selecting "Betas" and then selecting the "Open Beta" version. If you're on Standalone, you can either install the Open Beta version separately as per here or switch version on your current installation as per here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am the only to have the feeling that the jet is underperforming when loaded with bombs and jammer pod ? 

i know it causes drag, but i can’t get past 350 kts in level flight at 25 000 feet. My loadout is 2xAIM-120c, 2xAIM-9x, 2xGBU-38, 1xAGM-88, 2xFuel Bags,TGP,HTS and ALQ-184 long. 

Edited by greenmamba

17 minutes ago, greenmamba said:

I am the only to have the feeling that the jet is underperforming when loaded with bombs and jammer pod ? 

i know it causes drag, but i can’t get past 350 kts in level flight at 25 000 feet. My loadout is 2xAIM-120c, 2xAIM-9x, 2xGBU-38, 1xAGM-88, 2xFuel Bags,TGP,HTS and ALQ-184 long. 

there's been posts about excessive drag from pylons and bomb racks, it's being looked at.

• Like 2

If you get past some speed on high Att. with afterburners, you get the energy to keep in mil power or littles less, and you can keep the speed for some time. I mean after you drop your bombs and tanks it became really light and fly much easier so at Bingo you acctually can glide in very economic fuel usage.

Edit: Also you can get Ecm pod short which is lighter, use your wing tanks first and drop them as soon  as you burn while you climb and good to go.

Edited by oznckr
  • Like 1

Hi, I apologize for the silly question, where did you get this doc?

Edited by IR Sky

i7-11700K 5GHz, 64GB DDR4@3200, ZOTAC RTX4090, iiyama 34 Red Eagle  || Quest 3, HP Reverb G2, TrackIR 5  || Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo, TM Warthog throttle(button box),  Virpil WarBRD+Viper stick, VPC interceptor pedals || TM MFD Cougar pack || F-16C, F-15E, AH-64D | Simshaker Jetpad || F-16 Panels: Landing Gear, CMDS, ICP, Avionics, Sensors, Lighting, Air Cond, HUD, Anti Ice

• Like 1

i7-11700K 5GHz, 64GB DDR4@3200, ZOTAC RTX4090, iiyama 34 Red Eagle  || Quest 3, HP Reverb G2, TrackIR 5  || Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo, TM Warthog throttle(button box),  Virpil WarBRD+Viper stick, VPC interceptor pedals || TM MFD Cougar pack || F-16C, F-15E, AH-64D | Simshaker Jetpad || F-16 Panels: Landing Gear, CMDS, ICP, Avionics, Sensors, Lighting, Air Cond, HUD, Anti Ice