Rockets : something I really don't understand

vctpil

Hi,

First of all, I was not at home to download the Apache, So I didn't try it already.

On the Wag's video about rockets, at 16:01, he is firing rockets with the waypoint 2 as acquisition sources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLr0BgJ7Co

I really don't understand what symbol must be aligned with what other symbol to fire as precise as possible.

Is someone can clarify, pls?

Thanks,

Vincent

Image1.png

IAMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.7 to 4.8Ghz - 32Go DDR4 3600Mhz - GeForce RTX 3080 - Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED - AIMXY

32 minutes ago, drPhibes said:

That does not answer my question. The video says at 6:10 : as we move the head tracker to the center, the steering cue center.

This is not the case in the Wag's video. The head tracker seems aligned with the target, and the steering cue is aligned with the center of the aircraft. Why? is the wind?

IAMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.7 to 4.8Ghz - 32Go DDR4 3600Mhz - GeForce RTX 3080 - Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED - AIMXY

Like in the rocket tutorial video from Casmo at 11:46, in fixed mode, is the rockets not supposed to be fire through the steering cue? In the attached image, the rocket is flying toward the target, but there is no symbology!?!

Image1.png

Another one in foxed mode at 17:48, with rockets on target. What symbology indicate you are in the correct position to fire rockets on target?

Image1.png

In regards to direction, FFAR is always shoot along the center line that is marked with dashed rhombus, but elevation is determined with your IHADSS elevation.

Take a look at side 282 of the Quick Start Manual.

Edited by Amarok_73

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

The manual said : "The rocket steering cursor... ...represents the required position in azimuth and elevation the nose of the aircraft need to be placed".

This is not I seeing in the screenshot. I can see the IHADSS and the fixed cursor looking well below the target. So, how is it possible to place rockets on target wihtout the symbology?

1 hour ago, vctpil said:

The manual said : "The rocket steering cursor... ...represents the required position in azimuth and elevation the nose of the aircraft need to be placed".

This is not I seeing in the screenshot. I can see the IHADSS and the fixed cursor looking well below the target. So, how is it possible to place rockets on target wihtout the symbology?

In Casmo's video, he mentions that the steering cue is not providing any elevation information when the pods were locked in place (Indicated by the middle of the I beam missing). When using the rockets in this mode, the pilot must guess on what pitch would get the rockets close to where he wants. The I beam will, even in this mode, provide guidance for Left and Right line up. But nothing for range.

11 hours ago, vctpil said:

Hi,

First of all, I was not at home to download the Apache, So I didn't try it already.

On the Wag's video about rockets, at 16:01, he is firing rockets with the waypoint 2 as acquisition sources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLr0BgJ7Co

I really don't understand what symbol must be aligned with what other symbol to fire as precise as possible.

Is someone can clarify, pls?

On Wags video, the acquisition source is providing him with the dashed cross (cued line of sight reticle) to tell him where he should be aiming the rockets. This is not actually saying anything about his line up or where they will hit. 

His line up is being done with two markers, the line of sight reticle( solid cross in the middle of his view that moves when he moves his head) and the "I beam" (rocket steering cue)

If he wants to hit a target accurately, he must first line up his helmet so his cross is right on the target, he must then yaw the heli left or right towards the "I beam" until the beam is lined up with his cross. If the beam is lined up with the cross and the cross is on a target, he will hit that target.

One way that I like to think about it:
Imagine that there is an invisible ccip reticle that is vertically lined up with the helmet cross (line of sight reticle) but opposite of the I beam. In his video, pause it whenever he fires a rocket, measure from the I beam to the Line of Sight reticle, then measure that same distance past it. Observe that the rockets land right there.

Later, He uses Coop mode. In this case, the CPG and Pilot both select rockets, The CPG's sight is the target. The pilots I beam now lines up relative to the pilots cross (line of sight reticle) no matter where he puts his head. It would be possible for the pilot to look way left or right, or look at his pants, or even straight up, and he could still be accurate with the rockets by lining the I beam with his line of sight reticle. (again, because the cpg is the one determining the target in this mode not the pilot)

• Like 2