How to Takeoff?

104th_Money

So I did a quick ground hot mission with the Apache already up and running. Upon take off it seems extremely wobbly and very hard to hold in a hover. I even set curves for the controls and that didnt help. Is there an SAS system that needs to be turned on?

I tried auto-start procedure but just get an engine fire warning and helo will not start.

Its almost like flying the Hind or the KA-50 with the autopilots completely off.

Once I get airborne and moving its relatively smooth. Noticed I cant accelerate above 132kts in level flight.

Edited by 104th_Money
  • Like 2

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wifi II mobo, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus Tuf Gaming overclocked Nvidia RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm intake fans and 4 x 140mm exhaust fans, side mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in push-pull intake configuration 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

i had that Problem too at 1st, starting manually. I waited for Alighn of GPS (turning green in Tas/util up right)) before starting Motor and checked the oil PSI 2 (eng/sys) went to 70 before pitching it up and that was all. SAS was all on already, dont remember where the settings where. After all set with a little bit feeling it was fly by wire for me.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64GB DDR4-3600 MHz, Gigabyte Aorus Pro-P B550M, Zotac RTX 3090, Varjo Aero

52 minutes ago, Mikey74 said:

i had that Problem too at 1st, starting manually. I waited for Alighn of GPS (turning green in Tas/util up right)) before starting Motor and checked the oil PSI 2 (eng/sys) went to 70 before pitching it up and that was all. SAS was all on already, dont remember where the settings where. After all set with a little bit feeling it was fly by wire for me.

Before starting motor.  Are you talking about APU or engines?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have had trouble with it wanting to go backwards when I pull pitch.  Even shoving the cyclic all the way forward wouldn't stop it going backward.  I think I have something wrong with controls or trim.  

• Like 1

System: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5 Ghz, Z-390 Gaming X, 64Gb DDR4-3200, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3, Dedicated SSD, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion & F-16EX

DCS Modules: A-10C II,  A/V-8B NA, Bf-109 K4, P-51D, P-47D, F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-16 CM, F-86F, JF-17, KA-50 Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mosquito, AH-64D Longbow 

Terrains & Tech:  Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Normandy, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Combined Arms, WWII Assets, Supercarrier

2 hours ago, Sparc said:

Talk about pucker levels on take off. She does wobble around until you start moving then becomes stable. The gazelle I can take off smoothly  no wobble.  Hope this isnt the norm

The gazelle may not be a great benchmark for comparison of stability issues.

• Like 10

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

That's true. Anyhow after some practice I can get her up without any wobble I simply give her very VERY little left yaw while increasing collective. it's all footwork.  

Edited by Sparc
  • Like 2

The issue i had was that i had set a big deadzone on the yaw axis, and that wasn't making me apply full force on the yaw to counter the rotation on takeoff. I reduced the deadzone and i was able to handle it properly, now it's pretty easy to stay in hover, much stable than say the Mi-24 for me.

8 hours ago, Mad Dog 762 said:

I have had trouble with it wanting to go backwards when I pull pitch.  Even shoving the cyclic all the way forward wouldn't stop it going backward.  I think I have something wrong with controls or trim.  

sounds like it, I didn't have this problem. It feels a bit more wobbly than the Ka-50, but still flyable just fine.

No issues here. It's like butter.

No deadzone but %14 curve.

• Like 2

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I too noticed the wobblyness (is this a word?) upon my first attempts to do a hover take-off.

In particular very twitchy on minor roll inputs. Not that it's an issue and I'm sure I'll get her to a steady hover soon with some more practice. But at first, yes I have to agree with the OP.

(perhaps it is just because I got so used to the hover characteristics in the Hind)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I experience the wobble and a need for a huge amount of left pedal when 10ft or below. Running a 20cm extension with no curves, no deadzone, and I need even more precision than that to cancel out the wobble. Once I get above 10ft the wobble goes away, and it's smooth. 

14 hours ago, 104th_Money said:

Once I get airborne and moving its relatively smooth. Noticed I cant accelerate above 132kts in level flight.

That's normal. Your basically at max level flight speed with weapons attached for the Apache D. She isn't slow persay, but she isn't nearly as fast as say the Hind, That can basically match that speed at max cruise power settings.

She was a lot more squirrely taking off then I expected especially since I'm so used to the Mi-24. The main thing messing me up is the pedal trim. I ended up disabling it because using the force trim button it adjusts too violently if I made large pedal movements.

I am trying to do the hover training mission for the AH-64D and every time I advance the collective the helicopter starts spinning, not like a slow drift but an aggressive spin to the right. I checked Wagg's video and he gives very slight rudder to fix this but my rudder is almost 25-30%. Also the helicopter seems very wobbly just after take off. Got frustrated and took a break to write this post. Everyone seems to be having a great time already blowing up stuff but I can't get the thing to fly straight. The Ka-50 seems much more stable now. If someone has any ideas please help !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, piipu said:

The low speed has its benefits, I have traumatic experiences of the Ka-50 propeller flying off every time I twist my stick a bit too much.

Well...  The shark only does that because it has two rotors and they touch.  The single rotor heli's aren't capable of that sort of behavior...

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Have you checked your controller assignments to make sure that rudder isn't taking multiple inputs? (By default, my collective was also controlling my rudders - collective goes up, heli goes 'round)

• Like 1

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

I have the same problem. Tried following Wagg's video and the thing just keeps spinning to the right upon lift off. Pressed CTRL+Return and the axis indicators are the same as the video but the aircraft just keeps spinning. Not sure what I'm doing wrong

• Like 2

Try to trim it out a bit before you liftoff. Give a very slight stick back and left, and a bit more left rudder, hit the Force Trim/Hold Mode - R/Up button, recenter the controls and then try. It just sounds like you're rudders aren't in the right position, or another axis is in the mix. Before I rebind everything, my pedals wanted to control pitch, my throttle wanted to controll rudders and so forth.

Edited by Mavericko

18 minutes ago, Zboboinator said:

If you are too heavy, the tail rotor will not have enough power to compensate the power of the main rotor, 

I am doing the taxi, hover, transition tutorial.

17 minutes ago, Mavericko said:

It just sounds like you're rudders aren't in the right position, or another axis is in the mix. Before I rebind everything, my pedals wanted to control pitch, my throttle wanted to controll rudders and so forth.

I have cleared all axis binding before reassigning, for both the CPG and pilot

• Like 2