Status on MB 339 and Mirage F1 release estimates possible?

Baco

I always think, apart from MB-339A/B, and people are crazy about F-4E, why not Mirage IIIE?

Again, no news on what is going on is a tiny bit of distressing.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

58 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

It depends on how you're looking at it. I think it definately has it's place and it's used by several air forces around the world, especially if you consider the MB 326 lineage. For some, it's the only fast jet they can afford or are willing to pay the bucks for.

I don't see the trainers as "niche" - at least not more so than the whizz-bang-I-need-a-PhD-to-fly-this modules.

Another cool jet that is somewhat sidelined (yet pretty important if you ask me) is the Super Étendard.

I hear ya. And I can't fault anything you're saying. Just seems that with so many real classics that might be red hot on the most wanted list, and that it takes sooooo long to make a plane, this module seems a touch... quiet.

But this thing might be a sleeper.

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

5 hours ago, Beirut said:

I kind of feel bad about dissing this plane, but with the amount of time it takes to make a module, which is only slightly less than the accretion formation of a planet, could it not have been something more interesting? I know it has its fans, but it's still pretty niche.

I agree with you that this plane is going to have to be absolutely top shelf+ quality, otherwise, you know... why?

Because its what the devs Loved and wanted, plain and simple. Fans of the Frecce Tricolori, and being Italian and needing a simple plane to start, they decided to make the MB 339.. That is the "why" : for them is the best plane ever. 

Edited by Baco
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Baco said:

Because its what the devs Loved and wanted, plain and simple. Fans of the Frecce Tricolori, and being Italian and needing a simple plane to start, they decided to make the MB 339.. That is the "why" : for them is the best plane ever. 

I don't doubt they like the plane. I was just musing on its widespread appeal and how the long azz development time relates to that. I mean, it's not an F-4 Phantom with 10,000 fanatics lined up for pre-order day.

But it will be interesting to see how it differs from the other two-seat trainers in DCS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beirut said:

I don't doubt they like the plane. I was just musing on its widespread appeal and how the long azz development time relates to that. I mean, it's not an F-4 Phantom with 10,000 fanatics lined up for pre-order day.

But it will be interesting to see how it differs from the other two-seat trainers in DCS.

You got it all wrong. there could be millions of would be buyers standing in line, they are motivated by the love to that aircraft, that incidentally, if they don´t do it , nobody else will.

They didn´t decide to Code to make money, they wanted to fly the MB 339 In DCS, and the only to do that, was to make it themselves, so you see, who else wants the plane is of no concern to them.

Same is true for the C-101, or the Mirage F1... Those devs are not in it to make money or to fill gaps. They do what they want to fly. Actually so far ED is the only dev that factors in the "popularity" or sales probability of a Module in their decission making... The rest are works of love.

Aerges is not doing the french version or the Iraqi version. No they want the Spanish version so they and their friends can fly the Spanish F1 plane in DCS. 

They make the planes that nobody else will do.

And that is why I am buying the MB 339. they wanted it in DCS they tried making a Mod, best mod up to date, but they found their dream was limited by the lack of the SDK so they became official devs to be able to make the best MB 339 posible in DCS...

And That´s how I know its going to be worth my while.

Edited by Baco
  • Like 5

And not to offend, I think IFE make so many planes for MSFS just to support their passion to make planes on DCS.

Edited by VFGiPJP
  • Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 hour ago, Baco said:

You got it all wrong. there could be millions of would be buyers standing in line, they are motivated by the love to that aircraft, that incidentally, if they don´t do it , nobody else will.

I would be delighted if there were millions of buyers for the MB-339 in line to buy it. Regardless of my opinions on the choice of plane, I certainly wish the developers the best.

1 hour ago, Baco said:

They didn´t decide to Code to make money, they wanted to fly the MB 339 In DCS, and the only to do that, was to make it themselves, so you see, who else wants the plane is of no concern to them.

I'm not convinced of that. There is a business aspect to all of this I'm sure. One does not devote thousands of hours to a business project and not have business in mind while doing so.

1 hour ago, Baco said:

And that is why I am buying the MB 339. they wanted it in DCS they tried making a Mod, best mod up to date, but they found their dream was limited by the lack of the SDK so they became official devs to be able to make the best MB 339 posible in DCS...

And That´s how I know its going to be worth my while.

I bought the MB-339 for the "civvy sim". I enjoyed the plane very much. I might buy it here just to show support, not sure. Depend how it's priced. Like a warbird, maybe. If it costs as much as the top shelf modules, meaning $100Cdn, then no.

• 2 weeks later...

The beauty of the MB339 is that it can also reasonably stand in for the MB326 and both airplanes have been used in lots of conflicts - conflicts regarded "second tier" or "proxy", but conflicts nonetheless. It might be an age thing, but the older I get, the more interested I am in the less well known conflicts, where trainers and light attack craft are way more important than the newest whizz-bang smart ammo TGP-hauler.

I'm gonna fly the sheet out of the MB339 - not least because it's a trainer and it can do a lot of cool things for the online community/ your tribe of people you're chosing to fly online with.

While the kewl kids are still running up their platform, I'm in my raggedy-a§§ trainer, already retracting the landing gear, going downrange, looking for choppers to kill. Yarrr!

• Like 7

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

I'm not convinced of that. There is a business aspect to all of this I'm sure. One does not devote thousands of hours to a business project and not have business in mind while doing so.

Yes, business aspect is important for covering mainly the development costs but our target is to make aircraft we like. When we start a project we do the following considerations:
1. Do I like this aircraft?
2. Do I have access to official documentation?
3. Do I have access to real aircraft (e.g. museums)?
4. Do I have all resources to end the project?

If we were only interested in business we would have started more interesting projects with the risk to make a vaporware.

Regarding the price, it will be in line with other module of the same category. No way to pay 100$ for a MB-339. I wouldn't buy it either.
  • Like 13

Regarding development times, we are sorry if we take long times.
This is not our main job and we do it during the free time. We don't have external resources as contractors who are paid to make the job for us. We are a small group of friends (DCS team is composed by 6 people, other sim team by 3) with a passion for aviation world and aircraft development for sims, and we like our team because it is something of special who was born in particular circumstances.
We know that we cannot be compared to big 3rd parties who made very complex aircraft, but we do what we can at the best we can.
Yes, MB-339 is a simple aircraft and people often thinks that this module is only an improvement of the free mod. No, it isn't.
We started from scratch our project, because the standard used for the free mod wasn't suitable for the 3rd party purpose. So we are perfectly in line with development times of other 3rd parties.
The official MB-339 was announced by ED on September 2020, and we are approaching to release. The average development time for this kind of aircraft is 2 years.
We are proud of our results despite we work during our free times :)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

18 minutes ago, 6S.Duke said:

Regarding development times, we are sorry if we take long times.
This is not our main job and we do it during the free time. We don't have external resources as contractors who are paid to make the job for us. We are a small group of friends (DCS team is composed by 6 people, other sim team by 3) with a passion for aviation world and aircraft development for sims, and we like our team because it is something of special who was born in particular circumstances.
We know that we cannot be compared to big 3rd parties who made very complex aircraft, but we do what we can at the best we can.
Yes, MB-339 is a simple aircraft and people often thinks that this module is only an improvement of the free mod. No, it isn't.
We started from scratch our project, because the standard used for the free mod wasn't suitable for the 3rd party purpose. So we are perfectly in line with development times of other 3rd parties.
The official MB-339 was announced by ED on September 2020, and we are approaching to release. The average development time for this kind of aircraft is 2 years.
We are proud of our results despite we work during our free times 🙂

I just want to say something: I am not capable of anything like you and your friends are doing on your free time, so thank you very much. You're the kind of persons who makes me love DCS even more ❤️

• Like 8

2 hours ago, 6S.Duke said:

Yes, business aspect is important for covering mainly the development costs but our target is to make aircraft we like.

Respect. 

When we start a project we do the following considerations:
1. Do I like this aircraft?
2. Do I have access to official documentation?
3. Do I have access to real aircraft (e.g. museums)?
4. Do I have all resources to end the project?

If we were only interested in business we would have started more interesting projects with the risk to make a vaporware.

Respect.

Regarding the price, it will be in line with other module of the same category. No way to pay 100$ for a MB-339. I wouldn't buy it either.

Respect.

I appreciate your honestly and willingness to communicate with the customers, even when what they're saying might not be what you want to hear. I did buy the MB-339 for the "civvy sim" and still enjoy it. And based on your post, I'm likely to buy it here as well. I like your style.

Good luck with the project. 

• Like 6