George doesn't engage targets anymore

Toumal

So I got George to engage a few targets and all went well, but then I got into the situation that he just wouldn't fire on targets with Hellfires. ROE was free but even manual consent didn't help. He would say "engaging target" but not fire. The screenshot shows the cockpit situation (I had to land to take the screenshot, but everything was the same, just with a target in range)

Note on the right the missile is selected but I have no detail screen, only the simplified view. WASing the hellfire again briefly shows the full view but then flips back to this one again.

Any ideas? With George lasing, hellfires selected and armed, and targets in range and in the middle of the view, what else do I have to do? Is there some additional mode that I am forgetting? Is it a bug?

image.png

54 minutes ago, idenwen said:

Maybe 500 is too close? IIRC there is a minimum safety range.

Oh that was just because I was landed during the screenshot. The target was 4000 away and unobscured. George was lasing it and said he was gonna engage, but then didn't. And from other posts I see other people have similar problems.

14 minutes ago, tekrc said:

I also get this. engages fine until he just decides not to anymore

I dont get him to shoot at all... Which steps do you make as Pilot to get him to fire? 

Edited by Rhinozherous

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

1 hour ago, Rhinozherous said:

I dont get him to shoot at all... Which steps do you make as Pilot to get him to fire? 

he has to have a target selected and be in firing arc. specifics vary with weapon. see the tutorial videos

I will try to get a track using a SP mission. It's really weird, it appears to affect hellfires as well as the gun. As tekrc said, it works great until it doesn't anymore.

EDIT: FYI, this is not related to hellfires apparently being a bit fiddly with finding the laser. I saw George had the big solid box so the hellfire saw the laser just fine. He would simply not fire.

Edited by Toumal

I'm getting this issue from a cold start, I'll see if it repeats from a hot start. I know that I've fired hellfires at targets before, but that might have been before I started doing cold starts. When it happens the symbology is just the little broken box doing nothing. I'll go ahead and make a quick mission to grab a track file though.

• ED Team

Please include track replays its the only way we can check the various scenarios that can happen. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have a track file for you!

http://hoxdna.org/dcstracks/Caucasus_Dynamic_Conflict_v1.8.5_BW-20220322-140331.trk

In it, George has a solid big box, hellfires are WASd up, weapons armed, we are 5000 meters away, and George goes "engaging target".... then nothing happens. I try manual consent, ROE free, etc. no joy. Eventually I fire rockets manually from the pilot seat in frustration, and then try George to use guns which he then does. 

The track file has the complete cold startup too.

Edited by Toumal

I have seen this multiple times, it happens on closer targets or if u are reletavly high with about 2-4 km, u have to nose down, almost point the aircraft head indicator on the target and then he will fire, even though u are within constrains, after launch u can pull up again.

54 minutes ago, jayst0r said:

I have seen this multiple times, it happens on closer targets or if u are reletavly high with about 2-4 km, u have to nose down, almost point the aircraft head indicator on the target and then he will fire, even though u are within constrains, after launch u can pull up again.

Well in my track the target wasn't really that low, and it wasn't super close. I started trying to engage at 8000.

I get this all the time, especially in LOAL LO/HI.  He has never, ever fired once for me in LOAL.  He won't do it.  Only way I can get him to fire is in LOBL DIR, and I have noticed a few times he would say "firing" but not fire and I had to cycle master arm off and then on to get him to finally launch.  That trick doesn't work with LOAL though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr_Blastman said:

I get this all the time, especially in LOAL LO/HI.  He has never, ever fired once for me in LOAL.  He won't do it.  Only way I can get him to fire is in LOBL DIR, and I have noticed a few times he would say "firing" but not fire and I had to cycle master arm off and then on to get him to finally launch.  That trick doesn't work with LOAL though.

My track file starts with LOBL, then I switched to LOAL, and I also tried cycling master arm, no joy. The only thing he eventually fired was the cannon when I got close enough for that.

I'm still not sure whether it's a bug or just something I missed. 

• ED Team
On 3/23/2022 at 4:22 AM, Mr_Blastman said:

LOAL issues have been reported and I have tested a fix for it

thanks

On 3/22/2022 at 1:55 PM, Toumal said:

I have a track file for you!

Track wont download for me sorry

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Thanks for the track, 

from what I can see you were getting some locks with george but also some seem to be on the horizon or at long ranges, or possible line of sight issues. 

George has turned Pacifist. 

He was a killer.

Alt 500- 700, speed 50-80 distance 1400m. 

Now with any weapon he replies "engaging" ...as in conversation with the target we get so close.

I put a gunboat in the Kobuleti ponds to see fall of shot.  He used to fire but I've noticed if I've set laser range for myself (1200m) it upsets him.

I'll try to confirm this and get back.

So I had the same issue today and the way I fixed it was when I would tell him to fire and he would say firing but not fire I would just tell him to fire again and every single time he would fire but I always had to do it twice