"Trim- Reset to default" button

Tj1376
Go to solution Solved by NineLine,

Having come from the KA50, the Huey and the Hip, the various Trim Reset buttons allowed the trim to recenter in the middle of the axis. This was INCREDIBLY helpful when you are transitioning from fast fwd flight to slow flight to enter the hover.

As an example, enable "Show Controls" and follow along in your DCS AH-64D:

Hold stick in a non-neutral position, press Force Trim UP (the manual calls this force trim release, because when depressed its letting go of the magnetic devices that physically hold the stick in place - your non FFB joystick cannot simulate this.) Return your stick to a neutral position. Now, verify in show controls that your stick is being held in a non-neutral position.

Now, here is where the rub is.. and where many pilots (myself included) are struggling.

In the KA50/Heuy/Hip, we now have a button to 'force our trim back to its neutral position' (what many are calling a 'force trim reset.') In the Hip, this button is "Trim- RESET to default," in the Heuy this button is "Trimmer reset," and in the KA50 this button is called "Trimmer reset."  No such button exists in the DCS AH-64D. The only way I have found to get the trim back to its neutral position is to open show controls and physically move the stick back to neutral and then press Force Trim Fwd (release) to reset the trim near the neutral position.

Could we please compromise on a factually unrealistic "Trim- Reset to default" button that we can bind, just like in the Hip/Huey/KA50, to help us overcome this hurdle? I realize the real chopper may not have such a feature (its not needed in real life), but for those of us who use centering springs on our joysticks, it makes life much easier. 

As always, appreciate your dedication. 

TJ

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

+1 on this.

While I 100% appreciate its going to get easier with time to master the trim its just too easy to get yourself in a horrible mess, particularly when you're changing flight regimes to and from the hover as our sticks at home don't stay in the same position as the real aircraft does when force trim is used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Concur with a "trim recenter" option.

Force trim in the real aircraft affects both the cyclic and the pedals but not the collective. To fix the pedal/heading instability I removed the springs from my Crosswind pedals and set the Pedals Trimmer Mode to "Joystick Without Springs and FFB". While I have to keep my feet on the pedals, I'm not fighting them and most of the erratic heading swings have subsided. As for the cyclic force trim--I've found that having the Controls Indicator displayed in the upper left corner.

In addition, Wags just dropped a new video that addresses several issues including force trim (see timestamp 13:55) that you might find useful.

Wags clearly uses the Controls Indicator to return his trim to default position in his latest video. I don’t want to have that indicator in my VR experience - I would really prefer a trim reset functionality.

I’m using a FFB-stick by the way and I loved the ‘bug’ in the initial version of the Hind where you could reset the trim by double clicking on the trim button. For non-FFB-sticks a trim reset is even more desirable.

Trim reset in a simulated helicopter is one of those things which should not be strictly inspired by the real thing. It’s more about the best utilisation of the equipment we all have at hand.

• Like 2

+1 I would also like to have this option as available.

http://www.cruzdesanandres.com/

My skins

Windows 10 Pro -Asus rog strix z490-e gaming  - I7 10700K - Ram Corsair 32 GB 3600 - Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb  - RTX 4070TI 12Gb - Gigabyte G32QC  2‎560 x 1440 (QHD)- Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog  -TPR: Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - Track IR 5 - VR samsung odyssey plus

+1 Here! There are many "unrealistic" compromises due to the nature of our control surfaces.  Like second detents being allowed without first a "first" detent.  Here, this is a must in order to have any idea of where you are "trim neutral" with a joystick that just centers himself automatically.

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.

+1 Yes please, I was just about to ask for exactly that! 

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

+1, I don’t see it as a cheat option since the whole implementation of force trim is an unrealistic workaround for PC game controllers anyway!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

+1 for me too !!  Would love this feature.  I have the X65F (stick doesn't move, it is done by how much pressure you put on the stick) and have found it really hard on any of the 3 options we have.

Anyone else with a X65F?  What setting are you using for your trim?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1 OP .

When trying to slow from 100 knots to a hover. I often make a Force trim mistake. And it snowballs when I try to correct it. I make it worse. Hitting Ctrl+T , hoping to neutralize my mistakes

Until I end up upside down and chrash.

Still love this module , Its beautifully made and I dont mind that its a hard Bronco to break

Edited by ASpiderfromMars