"Trim- Reset to default" button

Tj1376
Go to solution Solved by NineLine,

Understood the trim logic of AH64. While most of us don't have a trimmed stick like the real one. So after trimmed, our stick and rudder will naturally going back to the center position, we only have to feel the position of the stick by the attitude of the helo, without knowing where the stick actually should be.  

Even though there is an option in AH-64 special setting page as centered trim, it still doesn't help much to get real position of the stick or the rudder. 

In the real life, I believe the pilot can easily feel the stick by its trimmed position and with body feeling of the helo, of which both we don't have. 

So please give a function of "cancel trim", at least for most gaming sticks users we can choose to return to the position from the center of our sticks. 

Hi, 

I know such a feature isn't present in the IRL Apache, but most players here, including me, have issues with trim because our HOTAS don't physically lock like IRL AH-64 HOTAS. Which means our TRIM can be set near an axis extremity, while our IRL HOTAS are centered ! Resulting in loss of controls in a lot of cases.

As opening the input chart breaks immersion, I would suggest the addition of an optional trim reset button, which would made life easier for us, and allow us the enjoy this awesome module. And it would prevent 80% of the current apache crashes due to trim issues, especially in flight transition phases.

Aigle2

• Wags pinned this topic

I’m not trying to argue or debate, but please don’t lump me into the “everyone with a center stick” claim. I have a center return stick with springs in. I never use trim reset with the other helos in flight. I might have used it a bit with the hind when rudder pedals were getting stuck in game early on? But that’s about it.

You don’t *need* trim reset simply because you have a center stick. Though it’s no skin off my back if ED adds some additional “quality of life” cheats for people to learn helos. I imagine after you get more practice in you’ll see what I mean.

Heres a simple spiral down landing. No trim reset. I was re-trimming several times as ias and altitude changed. Virpil stick. Springs in. No extension.

https://youtu.be/xNJd41pK_e4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

+1 please.....  this is my biggest problem so far is that bloody trim.

I've got the Hip, Huey and KA-50 but never really bothered with them, but this.....THIS has really floated mu boat.

Totally agree with the above comments on a "trim reset" button.....even if you can  list it as an option and please everybody. It would be a tremendous help to a lot of people.

Thank you .......

I'm not against a trim reset, but its clearly not necessary. You just need to fly the aircraft and make the corrections you need to fly the helicopter.

From 120 knots to a hover I make around 4 to 5 trim imputs without even notice. I don't even fly with the controls window. Try to make corrections as you need it without thinking about it.

I think you will fly much more relaxed.

• Like 3

Why must people here chirp up and denigrate those who ask for a trim reset???

Depending upon your hardware, I have a TM Warthog, it is VERY useful.

Glad to see it has been added.  Good move ED.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

54 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

Why must people here chirp up and denigrate those who ask for a trim reset???

Depending upon your hardware, I have a TM Warthog, it is VERY useful.

Glad to see it has been added.  Good move ED.

Sorry if it sounded like that, it wasn't my intention. English is not my language and I may not choose the best words.

Also, I'm not the master pilot of the AH-64D, I still have some issues with changes in torque.

Edited by Ignition

2 hours ago, Ignition said:

I'm not against a trim reset, but its clearly not necessary. You just need to fly the aircraft and make the corrections you need to fly the helicopter.

From 120 knots to a hover I make around 4 to 5 trim imputs without even notice. I don't even fly with the controls window. Try to make corrections as you need it without thinking about it.

I think you will fly much more relaxed.

I was one of those hoping for a trim reset function and am glad it's going to be included.  However, I'll try your method and consciously try to be more active on setting trim to see how well it works.  I do have the control overlay open and it can be pretty distracting so anything to help me get rid of it is welcome.

Edited by Smashy

8 minutes ago, Smashy said:

I was one of those hoping for a trim reset function and am glad it's going to be included.  However, I'll try your method and consciously try to be more active on setting trim to see how well it works.  I do have the control overlay open and it can be pretty distracting so anything to help me get rid of it is welcome.

I concur.  For those wanting it, great that it will be added.  Without it, I've been following the same method.  Multi, minor trims as I come in for the LZ.

thank you ED for the add.

Edited by javelina1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

2 hours ago, Smashy said:

It's difficult because we can't feel the cyclic as irl. I just try to fly as relaxed as I can so I make trim inputs as I need it without worrying of the controls position. With the rudders I know if I increase torque I need to increase left rudder or right rudder if I decrease it and try to keep the heading looking outside.

I use the control overlay when I take off, so I can set the rudder to a take off position.

I flew the Ka-50, Mi-8, UH-1H and now the AH-64D and I never had the need for a trim reset, but I see its a very demanded feature.

I'm not here to prevent the request, if people feel that's a good addition to them, I've no issue with that.

But just a genuine question : what is it helpful for, actually? In fact, what is that "neutral" position? I'd argue there's no such thing, you just need to place your stick in the position needed for your bird to be in the desired attitude, and then you trim, and voila....

Each time I decide to use a "trimmer reset" button, it creates more problem than it solves, personally : either my current trim point is far from the "neutral" position, and the result is a violent change of attitude of the helicopter with potential catastrophic event incoming, or it's so close to the neutral position that an actual light manual re-trim in the desired attitude (because actually, the "neutral" position is never optimal) will achieve better result.

Maybe, once on the ground, it's usefull ?

• Like 2

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

1 hour ago, Whisper said:

I'm not here to prevent the request, if people feel that's a good addition to them, I've no issue with that.

But just a genuine question : what is it helpful for, actually? In fact, what is that "neutral" position? I'd argue there's no such thing, you just need to place your stick in the position needed for your bird to be in the desired attitude, and then you trim, and voila....

Each time I decide to use a "trimmer reset" button, it creates more problem than it solves, personally : either my current trim point is far from the "neutral" position, and the result is a violent change of attitude of the helicopter with potential catastrophic event incoming, or it's so close to the neutral position that an actual light manual re-trim in the desired attitude (because actually, the "neutral" position is never optimal) will achieve better result.

Maybe, once on the ground, it's usefull ?

One example I can think of is an emergency autorotation.  Imagine being trimmed for forward flight and you lose power.  Being able to instantly find the center of cyclic and antitorque in a sprung joystick and pedals is pretty handy.  I used trim reset a lot in the Huey while learning autorotation.  I would create a mission where I would start in the air and cut fuel to the engine.  It took me a couple of crashes to figure out that when you airstart in the Huey, it's trimmed for forward flight and pulling the cyclic full aft doesn't give you enough pitch authority to enter a successful autorotation.

49 minutes ago, Smashy said:

One example I can think of is an emergency autorotation.  Imagine being trimmed for forward flight and you lose power.  Being able to instantly find the center of cyclic and antitorque in a sprung joystick and pedals is pretty handy.  I used trim reset a lot in the Huey while learning autorotation.  I would create a mission where I would start in the air and cut fuel to the engine.  It took me a couple of crashes to figure out that when you airstart in the Huey, it's trimmed for forward flight and pulling the cyclic full aft doesn't give you enough pitch authority to enter a successful autorotation.

Indeed, good point.

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Hopefully Virpil is reading this forum and will come up with a FFB base soon. They have access to a big market for both TM and Virpil sticks 🙂

• Like 1

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

2 hours ago, inexus said:

Hopefully Virpil is reading this forum and will come up with a FFB base soon

Indeed, and hopefully with the same type of attachment points as their current MT-50 CM2 base, so that we can easily swap between the 2 when needed and don't lose compatibility with for example MonsterTech chairs 🙂 

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Silly question here maybe, but when you have your stick and pedals re-centered after a trim,

Aren't they coming to the neutral position if you press force-trim again ?

Or do you have to ''aim'' for the virtual position and then bring it back to neutral ?

If I understand your question correctly - You will have to virtually re-centre your joystick to the centre and retrim to get back to get back to neutral.

That's why we are asking for a control we can bind to so we can reset the trim. 

• Thanks 1

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

2 hours ago, 84-Simba said:

Silly question here maybe, but when you have your stick and pedals re-centered after a trim,

Aren't they coming to the neutral position if you press force-trim again ?

Or do you have to ''aim'' for the virtual position and then bring it back to neutral ?

You need to bring it to the center.

I'm trying to understand why someone would need this feature, maybe you're changing speed very fast, like 120 to 0 in 4 seconds? I can't understand because if you're flying at 120 and expect to hover pressing a trim reset at that speed it will only get much much worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1