Boresighting IHADSS in VR

RealDCSpilot

8 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

I personally don’t. I just point at the centre of the bore sight unit and then click bore sight on the MPD.

I tried both, and in the former case the aim is quite a bit off. In the latter it’s spot-on, providing you account for movement of the helicopter: the shells don’t travel at light speed after all…

Thank you.  Obviously this is a WIP feature and adding correct code to take into account VR / single eye monocle, etc, when it comes to boresighting,  will take time.  I just want to shoot stuff and have my rounds land on the target and not 300m behind them and to the left.   Cheers!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

14 hours ago, Kayos said:

This is the way I've been doing it too.  I think the default view the head position is way too low.  That's why we have to strain to get it all the line up.

If you look down while in the seat by default it looks like the seat is in your stomach.

my in cockpit seat position is too high. I have to scrunch down or slide my chair back to get proper alignment here. even on 2d mode with TIR. really wish they would just fix the seat positions for all aircraft so that center was actually where I should be sitting and looking from my eyes and not staring down at a fire handle with the seated position too far forward and/or high for good operation (see a10 for a good example of way too far forward). seat position mismatching has been an issue for a while and its a bit irritating with newer modules having to try and boresight from a bad position. my back and neck would appreciate better default positions and hud scaling.

Edited by tekrc

4 hours ago, JSpidey said:

Right CTRL + Right Shift + numpad 2 8 4 6 * - will change your head position in non-VR mode. For VR I made a quick demonstration on how I align myself properly

This did the trick! Thanks so much! 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

This seems to be a contested, confused subject.  Per the quick start guide, 

Position your head at a natural posture and aim the HDU’s LOS reticle at the center 
of the BRU’s illuminated bullseye pattern.
When the HDU is aligned within the 
bullseye, press the B/S NOW (L6) button using the bezel button or MPD cursor. If 
the boresight position is accepted, the BRU bullseye pattern will extinguish, the 
B/S NOW option will be removed from the MPD page, and the IHADSS (L4) button 
will become un-boxed.

Now, I have seen a few interpretations of this.  Mostly though, including in videos, I see users insisting and illustrating one must do physical gymnastics in order to make a perfect bullseye and then and only then put the IHAADS crosshairs on the center dot... assuming you can keep the dot in the spot once the crosshairs reach this.

To me, the concept of having to contort my back and move around in my seat seems silly and absurd.  This can't be right, can it?  My natural position for my head puts the dot off center, always, and most often towards the top of the boresight in Image #1:

X0gzYNi.png

That is achieved with no gymnastics.  I look down at the boresight using my track IR and that is where I must center.  Certainly this disagrees with what I have seen, that "no, I am doing it wrong."

If I twist in my seat, bend the back of my chair, cause strain on my own lower back and neck, and become a proverbial faux midget I can get it to look like this, but notice my crosshairs are below the boresight.  If I tilt my head at that point... they go off center, but before tilting and much great discomfort in Image #2:

0BRgTG5.png

In other words, I feel Image #1 should be acceptable and okay.  I don't think one should have to do gymnastics in their cockpit to form a perfect bullseye, should they?  After all, the boresight is a collimated sight, and thus the IHAADS boresighting system should have code that adapts based on looking at the dot from your "natural seated position" which includes that dot being off center like in Image #1.  Thus, no gymnastics required, it should understand that if crosshairs are at top of ring then my natural head position is higher than if the dot were in the center, thus, if one were to do gymnastics to get the dot in the center then when you are done the alignment would be porked because you'd be returning your head to the natural spot.

Am I making sense?

I would like some clarification on this once and for all.  I think everyone would benefit from this.  Thanks.

Edited by Mr_Blastman
  • Like 2

• Wags changed the title to Boresighting IHADSS
9 minutes ago, Mr_Blastman said:

This seems to be a contested, confused subject.  Per the quick start guide, 

Now, I have seen a few interpretations of this.  Mostly though, including in videos, I see users insisting and illustrating one must do physical gymnastics in order to make a perfect bullseye and then and only then put the IHAADS crosshairs on the center dot... assuming you can keep the dot in the spot once the crosshairs reach this.

To me, the concept of having to contort my back and move around in my seat seems silly and absurd.  This can't be right, can it?  My natural position for my head puts the dot off center, always, and most often towards the top of the boresight in Image #1:

X0gzYNi.png

That is achieved with no gymnastics.  I look down at the boresight using my track IR and that is where I must center.  Certainly this disagrees with what I have seen, that "no, I am doing it wrong."

If I twist in my seat, bend the back of my chair, cause strain on my own lower back and neck, and become a proverbial faux midget I can get it to look like this, but notice my crosshairs are below the boresight.  If I tilt my head at that point... they go off center, but before tilting and much great discomfort in Image #2:

0BRgTG5.png

In other words, I feel Image #1 should be acceptable and okay.  I don't think one should have to do gymnastics in their cockpit to form a perfect bullseye, should they?  After all, the boresight is a collimated sight, and thus the IHAADS boresighting system should have code that adapts based on looking at the dot from your "natural seated position" which includes that dot being off center like in Image #1.  Thus, no gymnastics required, it should understand that if crosshairs are at top of ring then my natural head position is higher than if the dot were in the center, thus, if one were to do gymnastics to get the dot in the center then when you are done the alignment would be porked because you'd be returning your head to the natural spot.

Am I making sense?

I would like some clarification on this once and for all.  I think everyone would benefit from this.  Thanks.

Right CTRL + Right Shift + numpad 2 8 4 6 * -

Just now, JSpidey said:

Right CTRL + Right Shift + numpad 2 8 4 6 * -

Gymnastics such as this do not seem correct to me.  I don't think that is how the system is intended to work.  That means someone must move to an unnatural position and then what happens if they move back afterwards?

• Like 2

On 3/21/2022 at 6:19 AM, Foxmike said:

After my tests I can say, just pointing to the non concentric rings is the wrong way. Turning the NVS on, the clouds or other objects are way off. If I boresight with 100% concentric rings I´m point on. It wouldn´t make any sense to light up rings there, a simple lightpoint would be enough, so why concentric rings if it doesn´t matter at all. It is similar to Newtonian collimation. If I callibrate my Newtonian I also use an eyepiece with concentric rings (Concenter Eyepiece). Only if all rings a 100% concentric the optical system is  fine.

tested with my Reverb

I'm with him. I have the reverb g2 as well. I found that taking the time to line it all up made a huge difference. I went on a night mission and even the street lights were lined up. Understand that this is an area suppression weapon not a sniper rifle. It takes some practice and knowing the range you have it set for if in manual. Plus the auto is not dead accurate. Also not everyone's eyes are the same and go with what works the best for you. Trust me I have had my share of where the F... did those rounds go. 

The problem is not how the procedure works, the result is the problem. If i do it like in the video my FLIR and reticle alignment are way off, if i order George to look at a target with this alignment he starts looking 100 meters away from target and also the gun aims at the same offset. This is not how it is intended to work and we need ED to investigate this issue. Right now i can only correct this with having the FLIR active and try several boresighting clicks somewhere at the boresighting unit to find the best match. Good thing that a bindable boresighting button is available.

Edited by RealDCSpilot

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Well none of this worked for me.  From a cold start, looking at the reticule or centering the circles.  In VR, neither work.  Gun aim is miles off. 

From a hot start with no need to boresight, its fine.

Bugger.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

On 3/20/2022 at 10:26 AM, NWGJulian said:

i think we need @Wags to clear this up, i think there is a lot of confusion about boresighting

He already did. Have a look at his video 

Not only Wags mentions it should be  concenteic but also we can clearly see he is adjusting camera position while trying to get to the correct alignment. 

Maybe there is a bit of struggle for VR guys but for my trackir I have absolutely no issue with the procedure. No gymnastics needed either. 

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

52 minutes ago, Gierasimov said:

Not only Wags mentions it should be  concenteic but also we can clearly see he is adjusting camera position while trying to get to the correct alignment. 

Maybe there is a bit of struggle for VR guys but for my trackir I have absolutely no issue with the procedure. No gymnastics needed either. 

I think it has been established that those of us who are having issues with this are in VR- 2D and TrackIR appear unaffected based on the comments, unless I missed one. So linking a Wags video, in which he boresights in 2D, doesn't really help here. Again, the issue isn't "what is the proper procedure", the issue is what is actually working and what isn't. 

• Like 3

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

2 hours ago, Gierasimov said:

I cannot align my boresight while using track IR and have perfect circles without doing uncomfortable gymnastics.  I literally have to become a contortionist.

using a Reverb G2 and rendered in both Eyes, if split the double crosses that you get so that one is on each side and then move little by little so the rings become 

concentric, then my gun sight is dead on. But if i try to line up just a single cross into the boresight my aim will be way off to one side.

So for now i just split the boresight with both crosses and make all the circles centered and boom im good.

all though its a little harder in the gunner seat because i have to lean way back in my seat to get the circles to center up.

Ive yet to see any yellow circles , ive got the cockpit camera mapped to a 4way hat so getting in to position is not an issue in my G2,also when I use auto ranging in sp it works freatbut in MP forget it its a mile off ,so I go into boresite mode follow the steps and its still way off ,again I have never seen any yellow circles ever in vr?

1 hour ago, SkipCarey said:

Ive yet to see any yellow circles , ive got the cockpit camera mapped to a 4way hat so getting in to position is not an issue in my G2,also when I use auto ranging in sp it works freatbut in MP forget it its a mile off ,so I go into boresite mode follow the steps and its still way off ,again I have never seen any yellow circles ever in vr?

You need to turn on this lights knob:

Screenshot_20220324-063922_YouTube.jpg

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

1 hour ago, SkipCarey said:

Left panel, interior light, primary, knob up.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

11 minutes ago, tech_op2000 said:

I smell a pre-aligned IHADSS option coming to the special settings before too long 😅

Yes, it will be good idea, in the wishes topic we have a subject like this. As option on / off for sure.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Gierasimov:

the problem is not that he hadnt meantened it. he obviously did meanten it and showed it. but its not clear what he is exactly doing -> how does he adjust the camera position? by just moving his head down („squeezing“ himself down), or by lowering his virtual position with the numblock keys?

i think after some testing I now know how to do it -> squeezing down to align the circles and the IHADSS center is enough. but is this correct, do i even need to try to make the circles concentric? i dont know, it wasnt really clear from the video. all i can say is that it works for me. the manual also says that i have to get into a „natural posture“, which is imho the exact opposite of „squeezing myself into position“

just a few posts about mine, someone said that all he does is looking into the boresight, and his alignment is good. he basically ignores everything related to those yellow circles. is this correct? i dont know, because it is not clear. others say they align their camera first with num-keys. 

Edited by NWGJulian

17 minutes ago, NWGJulian said:

just a few posts about mine, someone said that all he does is looking into the boresight, and his alignment is good. he basically ignores everything related to those yellow circles. is this correct? i dont know, because it is not clear. others say they align their camera first with num-keys.

"Right CTRL + Right SHIFT + numpad 2 8 4 6 * -" Will change your head position, move it until everything looks aligned.. You can't just use the num-keys that only changes your view.

"Right CTRL + Right SHIFT + numpad 2 8 4 6 * -" Will change your head position, move it until everything looks aligned.. You can't just use the num-keys that only changes your view.

We don't want to sit with our headsets on, holding 36 buttons we can't see, trying to center a cross hair on a bullseye.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

the problem is not that he hadnt meantened it. he obviously did meanten it and showed it. but its not clear what he is exactly doing -> how does he adjust the camera position? by just moving his head down („squeezing“ himself down), or by lowering his virtual position with the numblock keys?
i think after some testing I now know how to do it -> squeezing down to align the circles and the IHADSS center is enough. but is this correct, do i even need to try to make the circles concentric? i dont know, it wasnt really clear from the video. all i can say is that it works for me. the manual also says that i have to get into a „natural posture“, which is imho the exact opposite of „squeezing myself into position“
Just put the green cross hairs in the center of the boresight. Don't worry about the circles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 3