Boresighting IHADSS in VR

RealDCSpilot

I can't even get the thing into boresight align mode. (VR)

it's time for me to get the cold start done. just tried it once. klick boresight, ihadss -> no circles, no boresight message in IHADSS. I think I missed something...

Edited by Niehorst

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

1 minute ago, Niehorst said:

I can't even get the sing into boresight align mode. (VR)

it's time for me to get the cold start done. just tried it once. klick boresight, ihadss -> no circles, no boresight message in IHADSS. I think I missed something...

You need to turn on your instrument lighting on the back left console....

12 minutes ago, JSpidey said:

You need to turn on your instrument lighting on the back left console....

and another true army aviation comrade. will check it out but I'm sure you got it. THX!

Edited by Niehorst
  • Like 1

NZXT H400i case

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

(TM F-18C ordered)

T.Flight USAF Headset

11 minutes ago, Niehorst said:

I can't even get the sing into boresight align mode. (VR)

Screenshot_20220324-063922_YouTube.jpg

This one here

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

yes, I know the panel. Simply forgot that int. lights have to be active to see the circles👍

NZXT H400i case

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

(TM F-18C ordered)

T.Flight USAF Headset

I'll just chime in and say I have no problems bore sighting from the pilot's seat in VR, the problems occur when trying to do it from the CPG seat. I have to move my head a good 6 inches to the right of centre and turn to the left to look at the BRU to get everything to line up. When I do that, the IHADS video image is offset to the side while looking forward. It's almost like the BRU symbology isn't axially aligned with the aircraft.

Yep, i bet irl the BRU unit works like a collimator sight with 3 separate depth layers (for dot, circle 1 and circle 2) and correctly shows the true three dimensional aircraft axis in relation to your current IHADSS position + rotation.

Edited by RealDCSpilot

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

7 hours ago, 98abaile said:

I'll just chime in and say I have no problems bore sighting from the pilot's seat in VR, the problems occur when trying to do it from the CPG seat. I have to move my head a good 6 inches to the right of centre and turn to the left to look at the BRU to get everything to line up. When I do that, the IHADS video image is offset to the side while looking forward. It's almost like the BRU symbology isn't axially aligned with the aircraft.

Yeah my exact same issue.  I can see the alignment circles but I need to tilt my head to the left just to see them and then the alignment is still completely off so I have to trial and error it and hope to get something 'close enough'.

I am using the option to show the HUD in both eyes (not sure if it makes any difference) but it makes cold starting in the CPG a real hassle..

I was having this issue as well; I have a Reverb G2. I ended up trying the cross-eyed vr adjustment tool to mirror my left eye. This seems to have improved aiming a bit for me.

Please note:

• I didn't have the cross eye the tool issues the tool was created for and my left / right alignment was only slightly different.  
  • I use right eye as my IHADSS setting.
  • This could all be placebo. 

What I found is that when set the IHADSS to both eyes, when aligning, we can see a single cross if we concentrate our view in that, but we will see 2 circles. The trick is to align that cross to the middle of both circles. If we focus in the cincles we will see 2 crosses.

But still the problem is with the CPG as still think the center VR position is too close to the bore circles, so I have to lower my body in the seat to be able to see the circles concentric.

my dominant eye has the new lens, the other eye still has cataracts and glaucoma... the boresight instructions are not very good... I wil try render both eyes as some have said...

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

I'm using TrackIR to align my boresight and I tried it in two different ways. I was aligning by just looking down right at the center of the receiver and also by exactly lining up with the yellow dot in the center of the two yellow circles, by moving the head down. After trying for days now the first solution where I completely ignore the yellow symbology and just align with the center of the receiver dev gives me the best accuracy. But in the end both alignment variants won't result in perfect hits even when in a calm and steady hover. There's no chance for me to really anticipate where the shots will go either way. That's why I think that there's probably something wrong that mabye has to do with the sync problems that seem to be present currently.

Jesus H Christ.  6 pages on this and still no answer.  Just a lot of horse whispering about what "works for me".  Lets hope ED make boresighting a tickbox option.  In VR it's a pain in the arse.  From a hot start its fine so it's obviously not necessary in game.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

On 3/30/2022 at 9:57 AM, coolts said:

Jesus H Christ.  6 pages on this and still no answer.  Just a lot of horse whispering about what "works for me".  Lets hope ED make boresighting a tickbox option.  In VR it's a pain in the arse.  From a hot start its fine so it's obviously not necessary in game.

I showed half a dozen people this screenshot and each and every one of them now has no problem aligning in VR anymore:

image.png

The only caveat is that you need IHADSS on both eyes, and if you have a strong single eye dominance, you might have to close one eye at a time to align the crosshairs as shown.

My guess is that with right eye only rendering, you would need to align the right crosshair as shown on the image, instead of onto the center of the alignment bullseye.

Edited by Toumal

7 minutes ago, Toumal said:

I showed half a people this screenshot and each and every one of them now has no problem aligning in VR anymore:

image.png

The only caveat is that you need IHADSS on both eyes, and if you have a strong single eye dominance, you might have to close one eye at a time to align the crosshairs as shown.

My guess is that with right eye only rendering, you would need to align the right crosshair as shown on the image, instead of onto the center of the alignment bullseye.

You, as well as many other people with good intentions here, provide a handy workaround, but not a proper solution to the issue, that also matches with the manual. This should work without any workaround and regardless of which eye people prefer their HMD to be rendered to.

I think that's what got @cooltsa bit frustrated 😉

I'm sure ED is on it @coolts, hang in there 😋

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

On 3/31/2022 at 2:41 PM, sirrah said:

You, as well as many other people with good intentions here, provide a handy workaround, but not a proper solution to the issue, that also matches with the manual. This should work without any workaround and regardless of which eye people prefer their HMD to be rendered to.

Oh I completely agree. The solution would be to render the IHADSS in 2D without any depth during boresighting, which would solve it both for 2D and VR, and regardless of what eye you've set the IHADSS to render for. That's something ED would have to implement.

Here is a video of me aligning in VR last night (PIMAX 8K).  I realized I not only had to move my head but literally shift my body while turning my head in VR to align.  I do not think there is a bug, just takes some getting use to. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Devil 505 said:

Here is a video of me aligning in VR last night (PIMAX 8K).  I realized I not only had to move my head but literally shift my body while turning my head in VR to align.  I do not think there is a bug, just takes some getting use to. 

So do you have to use that same body/head adjustment when shooting the gun to get the shots accurate? I don't see the point of adjusting all of that to boresight, set back to your normal seating position, and expect to your shots to be accurate. And when I say "accurate", I don't mean surgical accuracy. That's not what the BRU is for.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

6 minutes ago, pimp said:

So do you have to use that same body/head adjustment when shooting the gun to get the shots accurate? I don't see the point of adjusting all of that to boresight, set back to your normal seating position, and expect to your shots to be accurate. And when I say "accurate", I don't mean surgical accuracy. That's not what the BRU is for.

Been pretty accurate for me, but I will run another vide during the day and pay closer attention to see the difference.

If the BRU would be working like a real collimator tube, we wouldn't be able to achieve to see the centered concentric circles from different positions. There would be only one spot to do boresighting from.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

ED should clear this up pronto.  Figure out what is the correct way and put it in the manual, so everyone is on the same page.  If Boresighting in VR is different, then list it in the manual.  I try to do it the same way everytime (concentric circles as explained by Wags) but sometimes I'm off considerably to the left, and that's flying straight at the object, no lead necessary.  Actually they should just make it so that you Boresight it for realism but it ends up realistically close no matter which way you're doing it, problem solved.

1 hour ago, ApacheLongbow said:

IMO, Boresighting as a feature is just as unnecessarily overkill as the trigger guard button itself.

You could say that about many more features, like INU alignment, warning lights tests, cold start itself, etc. Yet it's those details that make the full fidelity DCS modules unique in realism.

That's why some of us can't let the IHADSS boresight issue go 😉

Yes, we know how to workaround the issue and yes, ED could just add an "always aligned tickbox", but we would like to have our Apache experience to be as realistic as possible (as far as possible without actually sitting in the real thing) 🙂

• Like 2

System specs:

Just putting this out there...Casmo does it this way at 2:40

FWIW, he makes the circles concentric and then clicks on the center.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

7 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Just putting this out there...Casmo does it this way at 2:40

FWIW, he makes the circles concentric and then clicks on the center.

But he's probably using TrackIR

Apparently results are different in VR (and perhaps even different between the various uses VR headsets)

System specs:

1 minute ago, sirrah said:

But he's probably using TrackIR

Apparently results are different in VR (and perhaps even different between the various uses VR headsets)

Yeah you're right...that kind of explains why my shots at close range seem to be all over the place. But even still, he made then concentric, he stated to do as such, and he's the SME...

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins