Boresighting IHADSS in VR

RealDCSpilot

On 4/4/2022 at 1:27 AM, Rabies said:

I find by pointing my HMD Reticle in the center of the BRU and then move the head position, ie, up, down, left, right, forward, backward etc. via the key commands, will move the yellow circles into the center of the BRU all the while keeping your HMD reticle centered, then hit that "cursor enter" when they align. Afterwards, adjust your seating position as normal and you are now a 30mm marksman-ish.

Thanks @Rabies. I second that. It's a bit finicky, a work around for a problem for which I hope ED will find an elegant solution. It requires about 15 seconds extra fiddling, but I do end up getting high enough hit rates with rockets, as an example. That said, I only tried it from pilot position. 

Honestly I cant even tolerate cold starting the apache now with this IHADSS bug. Really hope they just put an option to already have the IHADSS aligned during startup for VR users. Only way to get a clean shot is to turn the brightness level up on the PNVS and take shots at the rendered image than it is with the actual targets, I get better results that way.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

So I am browsing {x:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\AH-64D\Cockpit\Scripts\clickabledata.lua} and looking for AZ/EL boresight enable button in devices.TEDAC. Dont think it does anything, but makes me wonder. I am curious if there is a LUA file here that would allow to bypass boresighting the IHADSS altogether. Im going  to browse through some of these files and see if theres something interesting in there that can be adjusted, but would like a few eyes to help check this possibility out.  Would also appreciate it if someone in the know if this is a feasible workaround if possible too...hint hint @BIGNEWY.

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

any update here?

• Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

So this hasn't been fixed yet? I just noticed after my first weapons employment that I'm a much better shot in a hot start A/C than in a cold and dark one with having gone through the boresighting process. Either way, as supposed (right eye perfectly aligned to the BRU) or the supposed workaround (aim inbetween the crosses with IHADSS on both eyes), doesn't really fix that for me.

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

On 5/3/2022 at 6:08 AM, Eldur said:

So this hasn't been fixed yet? I just noticed after my first weapons employment that I'm a much better shot in a hot start A/C than in a cold and dark one with having gone through the boresighting process. Either way, as supposed (right eye perfectly aligned to the BRU) or the supposed workaround (aim inbetween the crosses with IHADSS on both eyes), doesn't really fix that for me.

Did you try the other way? Right eye on the centre of the BRU and use the keyboard commands to move your head, up, down, left, right etc until the circles and dot aligns. Once boresighted, readjust your seating position for flying. 
This works really well for me. 

43 minutes ago, Rabies said:

Did you try the other way? Right eye on the centre of the BRU and use the keyboard commands to move your head, up, down, left, right etc until the circles and dot aligns. Once boresighted, readjust your seating position for flying. 
This works really well for me. 

didnt know you could use your key commands for moving your head in vr...how do you do that?

My wallpaper and skins

4 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

didnt know you could use your key commands for moving your head in vr...how do you do that?

Select WPN -> Boresight -> IHADSS -> position reticle over boresight (I use right eye only IHADSS) and then use RCTRL + RSHIFT + numpad directional keys (8, 6, 4, 2) while keeping reticle over the center boresight until circles nicely align. 

I will say though, that as long as my VR headset position is reasonably true in the cockpit looking forward (using numpad 5 for repositioning), my rockets (and rail gun shots) land very well without having to go through this process. In other words, for me it's coming down to constantly refining the skill of flying, while aligning LOS, head tracker and the rocket steering cursor "i" beam and precisely pulling the trigger in the right time. It took me a few hours to get this right. And it's very satisfying when it does finally click. Rockets are now my favorite "mini game". 

That said, I only tried it from hot start. Check @Eldur post above. His experience shows that it's different when he starts cold. I have not tried it yet.

Edited by Salter10

6 hours ago, Salter10 said:
Select WPN -> Boresight -> IHADSS -> position reticle over boresight (I use right eye only IHADSS) and then use RCTRL + RSHIFT + numpad directional keys (8, 6, 4, 2) while keeping reticle over the center boresight until circles nicely align. 

I will say though, that as long as my VR headset position is reasonably true in the cockpit looking forward (using numpad 5 for repositioning), my rockets (and rail gun shots) land very well without having to go through this process. In other words, for me it's coming down to constantly refining the skill of flying, while aligning LOS, head tracker and the rocket steering cursor "i" beam and precisely pulling the trigger in the right time. It took me a few hours to get this right. And it's very satisfying when it does finally click. Rockets are now my favorite "mini game". 

That said, I only tried it from hot start. Check @Eldur post above. His experience shows that it's different when he starts cold. I have not tried it yet.

From my perception of the process, boresight doesn't seem to be required for Hot Start.  (already completed)

Does need it for Cold Start.  It is inaccurate without it from Cold Start.  I have Cold Started, skipped B/S, had George hold a hover for me and I used the gun from GHS mode, not TADS.  I then did the B/S process and the gun improved greatly.

6 hours ago, Salter10 said:

in hot start, the alignment is already finished and you dont need to align. if you're aligning after the fact, and its coming out fine...ill give it a shot.

My wallpaper and skins

So any news about option pre - boresighting always on (like in hot start but from cold and dark) /off (always manualy by user if its cold and dark start) in AH-64 settings?

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 5/4/2022 at 7:59 PM, Hammer1-1 said:

in hot start, the alignment is already finished and you dont need to align. if you're aligning after the fact, and its coming out fine...ill give it a shot.

Thats correct, Id like to see option like this in special tab for cold and dark too (no need aligmnment for C&D for VR users). Maybe in this incoming OB patch we will see it, however the name of the topic is still „investigating”, not „solved” :(.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Works fine for me in VR once I figured out where to look at when aligning. I also use both eyes so the normal process doesn’t work anyway.

For me I don’t even turn on the light to align I just look a tad bit below it and set it there. I then ask George to look at a target in front of me to check its lined up.

If not I repeat until it is. Once you figure out what works for you its quick. 

Edited by gav88888
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 8:37 AM, gav88888 said:

Works fine for me in VR once I figured out where to look at when aligning. I also use both eyes so the normal process doesn’t work anyway.

For me I don’t even turn on the light to align I just look a tad bit below it and set it there. I then ask George to look at a target in front of me to check its lined up.

If not I repeat until it is. Once you figure out what works for you its quick. 

And how do you align the IHADSS when stepping into the CP/G seat then?

Many, including myself, were/are talking about the not being able to properly perform the alignment in the PLT seat, but doing the boresight alignment in the CP/G seat is much MUCH worse...

Initially I was hoping for a fix.. Now, as do many others, I'm just hoping for a "pre-aligned" option..

@BIGNEWYor @NineLine; is this issue still under the attention of the dev team? I don't like being forced to either do hot starts, or do cold starts and accept that I can't use the gun...

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

5 hours ago, sirrah said:

Many, including myself, were/are talking about the not being able to properly perform the alignment in the PLT seat, but doing the boresight alignment in the CP/G seat is much MUCH worse...

Initially I was hoping for a fix.. Now, as do many others, I'm just hoping for a "pre-aligned" option..

@BIGNEWYor @NineLine; is this issue still under the attention of the dev team? I don't like being forced to either do hot starts, or do cold starts and accept that I can't use the gun...

It's not that hard.. just slide your head to the right then do what you would normally do in the pilot seat, or use the keybinds mentioned earlier in the thread to move your head (works in VR as well). By default the CPG's head position is too far to the left. They need to adjust the default position to the right some.

5 hours ago, JSpidey said:

It's not that hard.. just slide your head to the right then do what you would normally do in the pilot seat, or use the keybinds mentioned earlier in the thread to move your head (works in VR as well). By default the CPG's head position is too far to the left. They need to adjust the default position to the right some.

Ok, but if I do that and afterwards move back to my normal position (no leaning), won't the gun be way off if I use the CPG IHADSS as acquisition source?

I'll give it a go, because I'm desperate on this 😋, but I'd rather see an "pre-aligned" option added so that all this leaning and keyboard use, is not needed..

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

27 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Ok, but if I do that and afterwards move back to my normal position (no leaning), won't the gun be way off if I use the CPG IHADSS as acquisition source?

I'll give it a go, because I'm desperate on this 😋, but I'd rather see an "pre-aligned" option added so that all this leaning and keyboard use, is not needed..

No the gun will not be off when you reset your view.

On 5/27/2022 at 7:59 PM, sirrah said:

Same process in both seats, just need to figure out where to look. Its not complicated.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 7:04 AM, JSpidey said:

No the gun will not be off when you reset your view.

This is where people are misunderstanding and making it seem worse than it is. You only need your head to be lined up with the circles at the moment you press the boresight button. It's setting a boresight, not a centre position. You are telling the aircraft "this helmet position matches to this known reference location and line of sight" for the system to use as a baseline for calculating from. After that you move your head however you want. You can use TIR, VR, key binds, or any other means of moving your virtual head and view in DCS and the system should know where your head is, where you are looking, and therefore where to point the gun. 

Edited by Scaley
  • Like 1

This is whats confusing me. I can adjust my physical seat and get the circles concentric and aligned without adjusting my view in game, resest my physical seat,  and the sights are way off. Doing the exact same thing, but adjusting my view in game instead and just leaving them alone -without adjusting my physical seat- gets me good results. Now why is that??

• Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

8 hours ago, RaisedByWolves said:

But it is. I expect to see this thread up to 20 pages by end of 2022.

It shouldn't be. I can boresight from both seats in 10 seconds or less using VR. Same thing with a couple of friends that use TrackIR

6 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

This is whats confusing me. I can adjust my physical seat and get the circles concentric and aligned without adjusting my view in game, resest my physical seat,  and the sights are way off. Doing the exact same thing, but adjusting my view in game instead and just leaving them alone -without adjusting my physical seat- gets me good results. Now why is that??

Make sure the aircraft is stable before firing. It could give the impression things are not lined up when they really are. Other than that I don't know why you and other people are having problems, maybe overthinking it? If you obsess over it your mind might start playing tricks on you.

2 hours ago, JSpidey said:

Make sure the aircraft is stable before firing. It could give the impression things are not lined up when they really are. Other than that I don't know why you and other people are having problems, maybe overthinking it? If you obsess over it your mind might start playing tricks on you.

Not overthinking it at all. IHADSS is never aligned in VR unless I adjust my view using key commands. Playing in my seat makes it worse; when I go back to my natural state in my chair everything goes out of whack. Literally, shooting on the right side of the aircraft at 90 degrees offset gives me a too high and too far right impact at 500m. Shooting on the left is worse.

My wallpaper and skins

1 hour ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Not overthinking it at all. IHADSS is never aligned in VR unless I adjust my view using key commands. Playing in my seat makes it worse; when I go back to my natural state in my chair everything goes out of whack. Literally, shooting on the right side of the aircraft at 90 degrees offset gives me a too high and too far right impact at 500m. Shooting on the left is worse.

You can also save the view with a keybind I can't remember which one though. I'm sure it's on this thread somewhere, then you won't have to keep changing your view every time.