Boresighting IHADSS in VR

RealDCSpilot

17 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

This is whats confusing me. I can adjust my physical seat and get the circles concentric and aligned without adjusting my view in game, resest my physical seat,  and the sights are way off. Doing the exact same thing, but adjusting my view in game instead and just leaving them alone -without adjusting my physical seat- gets me good results. Now why is that??

Are both of these happening in VR?

Yep. In 2d its no issue as you have to adjust your view anyways with the key commands; aligning using the key commands seems to be the only way you can align the headset in VR unless you're one of the very few lucky ones that dont need to adjust anything..and even then it seems like its off ever so slightly though. Ill chalk that one up to user error ,but for the most part the rounds are impacting close enough to the pipper that I can kill what Im looking at.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

12 hours ago, JSpidey said:

You can also save the view with a keybind I can't remember which one though. I'm sure it's on this thread somewhere, then you won't have to keep changing your view every time.

Ill look into that, really annoying having to align in a cramped space with my keyboard in VR.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Hello ED, any news about it? 10+ pages about it and many requests, still investigating.

Is it possible to have this option in special tab of AH-64 (always matched like in HOT start, from cold and dark too)?

Pretty please! ❤️

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 5/30/2022 at 11:26 AM, Hammer1-1 said:

Ill look into that, really annoying having to align in a cramped space with my keyboard in VR.

I don't even need to do that for the PLT seat, for CPG only thing I need to do is move my head to the left a little, hit the VR recenter and I'm more centered in the seat, then boresight as per usual and I'm good.

I have to do it in both seats...but in the front seat, I REALLY have to sit waaay down to get it aligned. Im guessing the front seater is 6'3 or better.

My wallpaper and skins

Don't know if we're a little past the proper technique debate, but I did some testing and found that perfectly aligning the boresight bullseye in the reticle, at least for me, produces the best results:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team

Just to note we are taking another look at the VR IHADSS issues some are experiencing. 

thanks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

7 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Just to note we are taking another look at the VR IHADSS issues some are experiencing. 

thanks

Thank You! We (VR users) need this option in Special/Tab or some improvments.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Not entirely related to boresighting, but still IHADSS + VR...

Do any other VR users experience the IHADSS not quite being central (which I guess might be true to life?), and thus having to choose whether to have ALT or IAS in focus? On my Rift S, with default VR "IPD" in DCS, the Altitude is always slightly out of the "properly rendered" circle of sharpness. I can fix it by setting DCS' IPD to 75 or higher, but that's not ideal, or by shifting my HMD off centre, which is uncomfortable.

I keep it at stock settings, never had any problems you experience.

My wallpaper and skins

On 6/21/2022 at 10:40 PM, rubbra said:

Not entirely related to boresighting, but still IHADSS + VR...

Do any other VR users experience the IHADSS not quite being central (which I guess might be true to life?), and thus having to choose whether to have ALT or IAS in focus? On my Rift S, with default VR "IPD" in DCS, the Altitude is always slightly out of the "properly rendered" circle of sharpness. I can fix it by setting DCS' IPD to 75 or higher, but that's not ideal, or by shifting my HMD off centre, which is uncomfortable.

I also don't have this issue

But perhaps it's better to create a separate dedicated thread for your issue (with maybe a screenshot showing the problem)

This would both increase your chances on help and it'll prevent "derailing" this thread 🙂

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2022 at 8:46 PM, Sielu said:

Don't know if we're a little past the proper technique debate, but I did some testing and found that perfectly aligning the boresight bullseye in the reticle, at least for me, produces the best results:

This is my technique in VR yet the PNVS image is always shifted up and left by 1-2m when looking straight ahead.

Are there any other methods to getting a proper boresight in VR?

On 6/1/2022 at 12:46 PM, Sielu said:

That's because you're doing it from the pilot's seat. The issue is with the CPG seat.

• Like 1

I slide my buttocks forward and beyond the end of my seat/chair to achieve that lower altitude, and tilt my head 90° forward, support the Oculus with my left hand as I adjust 2nd angle with my head, thenclick enter cursor with my right hand. I do that twice. Once for each seat. I then click active pause before I climb back to normal sitting position. Works. 
I just hope nobody is watching.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

7 hours ago, Moxica said:

I slide my buttocks forward and beyond the end of my seat/chair to achieve that lower altitude, and tilt my head 90° forward, support the Oculus with my left hand as I adjust 2nd angle with my head, thenclick enter cursor with my right hand. I do that twice. Once for each seat. I then click active pause before I climb back to normal sitting position. Works. 
I just hope nobody is watching.

Yep, I also have to do some sort of belly-dance to get my IHADSS boresighted, especially in the CPG seat. Hardly realistic I'd say, but I learned to live with it.

Perhaps some day ED grants us a pre-aligned IHADSS option 😉

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

For those of us who don't fly in VR

1. Where is your head position in game if it isn't roughly aligned with the bore-sight reticle to begin with?  It sounds like after bore-sighting you go back to sitting on a booster seat in the cockpit with your head nearly through the canopy?
  2. Are Snap Views a thing in VR, or do those only work in 2D mode?

2 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

For those of us who don't fly in VR

1. Where is your head position in game if it isn't roughly aligned with the bore-sight reticle to begin with?  It sounds like after bore-sighting you go back to sitting on a booster seat in the cockpit with your head nearly through the canopy?
  2. Are Snap Views a thing in VR, or do those only work in 2D mode?

You can adjust your view with the rctrl rshift and numpad digits and make it more natural, and your alignment will still be way off, and Ive yet to see snapviews work in VR. Not saying it doesnt, just never seen it work.

My wallpaper and skins

Hello folks. I follow the "align your IHADDS crosshair with the center of the bullseye" method for my pilot seat position and get good enough results. I can reliably use rockets. But it's a very different story for the CPG seat. I'm struggling to find the right position when moving my head up and down, trying to align my crosshairs with the boresight's bullseye. I need to contort my whole upper body "downwards" and even then it's difficult to find the center. Any advice? 

(I'm really glad DCS devs are looking into a solution! I absolutely LOVE this module.)

Thanks in advance.  

Edited by Salter10

39 minutes ago, Salter10 said:

Hello folks. I follow the "align your IHADDS crosshair with the center of the bullseye" method for my pilot seat position and get good enough results. I can reliably use rockets. But it's a very different story for the CPG seat. I'm struggling to find the right position when moving my head up and down, trying to align my crosshairs with the boresight's bullseye. I need to contort my whole upper body "downwards" and even then it's difficult to find the center. Any advice? 

(I'm really glad DCS devs are looking into a solution! I absolutely LOVE this module.)

Thanks in advance.  

The way I do it:

1. I move my head slightly forward and to the left
  2. Hit the VR recenter key
  3. Move my head back to normal seating position

You'll notice you're much better centered in front of the BRU for IHADSS alignment (you'll still have to some little belly dance, but much less then from the default VR position).

After the alignment process you can recenter back to the default VR position and your rounds will still be accurate.

There's probably other ways to do it, but this works for me (at least until ED fixes the issue and just puts us in the center of the seat)

System specs:

• 3 weeks later...

I experienced this as well.  Easier to align the IHADSS sight from the pilot seat (though still inaccurate by the intended procedure), but horribly inaccurate from the CPG seat.  After much trial and error, I've found a workaround that works for me.  I reset my seated position, then initiate the alignment procedure.  I stare at a point around the top left of the TADS/PNVS camera on the nose of the helicopter and hit B/S now.  It gets me a reasonably accurate alignment.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the center of the seat position being slightly left of center, plus the fact that in VR there is no center "eye." 

I'm using Valve Index.

On 9/5/2022 at 9:05 PM, prancibald said:

plus the fact that in VR there is no center "eye."

I confirm: if you are using IHADSS displayed in both eyes, you must put the "aimpoints" of of eyes beside the center of the circle, so not very accurate. Of course having IHADSS on both eye is not realistic, but as it is a game option it should work...

The issue is circle are not collimated at same depth than the IHADSS. I did a quick fix for myself only with my mod, when a press a key I change depth of IHADSS to cockpit depth and then I can easilly align with circle center (except offset of CPG that need to play in addition with recenter key , of course).

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

It’s been a while since I flew the Apache, just re scanned this thread, so this is only an issue if you cold start the Helicopter, yes? Also, this only an issue in VR, correct? 

If so, I am trying to understand how ED can make it work perfectly in that scenario ( Hot started ) and yet it won’t align properly in VR when procedure is followed from cold. Surely, it’s code we are dealing with here, not physical optics? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit.