Target Aquisition-Discussion

theox

Just wanted to ask the forum what their tactics were for target acquisition. Seems like I just spring over top the enemy and get shot down before I can find them.

Whats the best way to locate convoys and enemy positions?

Also, whats the best way to acquire targets at night? It seems like the Shkval is useless at night.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Well, looks like the pilot is the "scanning instrument" in the Shkval scan mode. So whats the best strategy, standoff about 8 kilicks from the target area and give the area and good shakedown with the Shkval?

Edited by theox

Yes, pity is, you´re limited to Mk.1 Eyeball sensor, with only slight help from a 7x and 23x TV enhancement or a crapy NVG.

If you fly singleplayer, you can use your wingmen, send them ahead to do some recon. Online, good luck finding someone stupid enough to do it for you...:smilewink:

Did I mention trees tactically working against you in the current release?

Good preplanning is your friend. Collect as many info as possible from the briefing text and maps and build a tactical gameplan. Memorize or note down known and estimated enemy positions, judge terrain against threat envelopes and come up with the best tactic.

The seven "P"s of aviation:

Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

And then find out how true the old saying is:

"No plan, however good, survives the first shots fired in a war."

Edited by Woodstock

"For aviators like us, the sky is not the limit - it's our home!"

Depends on the target, but for AAA and small arms positions, that are not easily visible its good to be shot at first in order that you can first pinpoint where the enemy is. Keep fast, keep transversal velocity (ie don't fly directly towards or away from them) and never fly in the same trajectory for very long. Once you have located their position, get out of their firing range and then engage from a distance, or set yourself up for a manually flown attack run using the terrain to your advantage to mask your high-mid speed approach.

The process can be simplified with a wingman. One of you (Pilot A) stands off the target area from a distance, whislt your mate (pilot B) acts as "bait" to draw fire to give away the enemies position by overflying the target area, the now visible target is then acquired and destroyed from Pilot A.

i7 930@ 3.8GHz, Corsair H50-1, Asus P6X58D-E, 6gb Patriot Ram, ATI 5850 1 Gb, Antec 300, F3 1GB HDD, Corsair 24" Dell 2408WFP.

Saitek X52 Pro+Rudder, TrackIR4

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to ask the forum what their tactics were for target acquisition. Seems like I just spring over top the enemy and get shot down before I can find them.

Whats the best way to locate convoys and enemy positions?

QUOTE]

The easiest way to do this is to ask your wingman to go recon. When you wingman findes enemies, he will transmit it to you and you can see them on your ABRIS.

First. Shkval is not designed for night ops. Secundo sometimes use NightVision gogles at night (it is really poor device but sometimes helps). Also read briefing and map - often players don't read this and don't know where possible enemy is. It is also good idea to search area via your eyes :D. Fly, stop, scout a moment, fly next X distance, stop, scout, if enemy spotted, search near air defences and engage it first.

Flying in un-sure zones from time to time drop some flares, set your flare dropper device and use it :).

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ