What level of flight mode do you use?

wolfast

What level of flight mode do you use?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. What level of flight mode do you use?

• Sim, all the way
    • Some sim, some "game" options
    • All "Game" I love the Arcade
    • What? DCS has a "game " mode??

Sim all the way.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Quoted For Truth

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I don't think this poll is likely to tell us much, I doubt that anyone who would be playing it in arcade mode will be on the forums. If they were interested enough to be on the forums, they probably would be hard corps flight simmers......imho.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

487th Helicopter Attack Regiment, of the

VVS504 Red Hammers

• 2 weeks later...

As the only one who voted for arcade, I have to come back to this. For someone who comes from LO:FC, this proved not to be the right approach. Better is to have it right away in sim mode, watch the - excellent - training tracks and producers notes, and start with simple missions. It took me much less time than I anticipated. I did not find the learning curve "steep" (what doesn't imply I can already fly the thing safely in heavy wind conditions or so).

The mission editor allows to set external views or labels for each mission, so you can make gradually more difficult misisons if you like.

Arcade mode had two serious drawbacks: you learn wrong reflexes in flying the ka-50, and a lot of key commands are assigned differently. So I guess arcade is indeed only meant for new people to the sim world, or more casual players.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is actually a pretty common problem for hardcore sims that have an arcade mode. It's easier to get into, but in the end it'll teach you to do things the wrong way, which can be a bit problematic if the ultimate purpose is to learn to fly properly.

Edit: Of course, I'm not against arcade mode in general, it's good to have something for people who don't have the time to dedicate for flying in the sim mode. I just don't think it's the best way to learn if the goal is to fly sim mode at some point.

Edited by AndyHill

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

I use SIM all the way, however I do cheat sometimes by selecting missile view when I fire vikhr to get a better view of the place i'm firing at. I also hit the F10 key from time to time to "simulate" an awacs birds eye view :p

EDIT :

This is actually a pretty common problem for hardcore sims that have an arcade mode. It's easier to get into, but in the end it'll teach you to do things the wrong way, which can be a bit problematic if the ultimate purpose is to learn to fly properly.

I agree. When I'm up to learn something new, I always start as difficult as it can get, and then adjust the level of difficulty if it gets too hard.

Edited by d0ppler

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H