Cold start with rotor brake

Dannyvandelft
Go to solution Solved by iceman14555,

Unreleated to the original question, but I guess it's on topic still, I wonder if it actually is implemented correctly yet or it's just me doing it wrong - I tried it on the first startup with the RB set (middle position, so not the lock one) and the things started spinning as if there was no RB applied at all. However, when switching it on with the thing up and running, it slightly reduced my rotor RPM.

As for the original question, when using it, I'd probably release it before cranking the power levers (naturally to have less strain on the system), but that wouldn't be the zero to hero way. Not having checked the manual yet for details, I'd be interested to know as well. But I suspect the "right" way to do it would be doing the full startup and releasing the RB just before taking off.

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Unreleated to the original question, but I guess it's on topic still, I wonder if it actually is implemented correctly yet or it's just me doing it wrong - I tried it on the first startup with the RB set (middle position, so not the lock one) and the things started spinning as if there was no RB applied at all. However, when switching it on with the thing up and running, it slightly reduced my rotor RPM.
As for the original question, when using it, I'd probably release it before cranking the power levers (naturally to have less strain on the system), but that wouldn't be the zero to hero way. Not having checked the manual yet for details, I'd be interested to know as well. But I suspect the "right" way to do it would be doing the full startup and releasing the RB just before taking off.
Yeah I'm assuming it's before you push the throttle to the fly position but I'd like to know for sure.

I think it has to be in the locked position to prevent wind milling in high weather.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My experience is with the AH-64A, but I would think the D would be the same. With the rotor brake in the lock position you can start both engines, but an interlock prevents the throttles from being advanced past idle until the brake is released. 

• Like 1

• Solution

I think it's mentioned in the cold start training mission. I also believe Casmo talks about it in one of his videos. The rotor brake is normally off for start up, the brake setting can be used for slowing the rotor down after the RPM is below 50%, and the lock function is only used when the aircraft is parked on the apron during high winds. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iceman14555 said:

the brake setting can be used for slowing the rotor down after the RPM is below 50%

I remember hearing this too, but when shutting down engines all the displays shut off and there's no way to see current RPM to know when it's "safe" to engage the rotor brake.

I also can't seem to select the LOCK position on the switch. Only BRAKE and OFF.