is autorotation possible?

skypickle

I can autorotate the huey no problem, but the Apache just wants to dive into the ground. I start level flight at 90- knots , pull back the throttle to . The cyclic has no authority.  I decrease colective to keep rotor rpm up  but she just noses over just the same.  I apply a little collective and she seems to want to get her nose up but the rotor stalls out.

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

I did a autorotate in Apache. Just lowered collective all the way and I landed successful (I'll share a video).
But! I can't perform an autorotate If I pull the power levers back to idle, because all HOCAS controls goes off (or maybe I couldn't make it - idk). You'll crash desperately. 😄

Edited by Devrim

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Did some autorotations today and it works extremely well. However, you need to "catch the nose" before it dives to deep. Otherwise, there isn't any way to get it back up and you kiss the ground with your nose.

How I did it:

- Power levers off

- Lower collective

- Pull the stick to prevent the nose from diving (increase collective a bit if necessary)

- Once stable autorotation is achieved, try to maintain 80-100 kts

- Flare when getting close to the ground and pull collective as much as necessary.

If needed, I can make a demo video.

Edited by Wychmaster
  • Like 2

I still need to try this, but from the way the flight model feels right now I suspect I'll find myself nosing down and diving for the ground in order to keep enough air moving through the rotor disc. It strikes me that autorotating to a nice slow touchdown is going to be tricky, and is going to end up requiring a fast rolling landing.

Edited by frostycab
typos