George way too high in VR (HP G2)

Kayos

Returning to the subject to the IHADDS symbology being too high for comfort, I'd be happy if we could just have some adjustment like we do for the HMS in the KA-50. It wouldn't require the monocle itself to move, just a bit of leeway for us to fine tune the symbology within the monocle field. 

I think the reason that different people are getting different experiences comes down to us all wearing our headsets in slightly different positions on our faces. For my Index I usually have to move it around slightly to find the "sweet spot" for the lenses and my eyes. 

@BIGNEWY, I do have 3monitors as well.  

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• ED Team

wait for the next patch, there is a multi monitor fix coming, lets see if it helps some people. 

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

wait for the next patch, there is a multi monitor fix coming, lets see if it helps some people. 

thanks

Regarding the George positioning in VR?  Or are you saying the boresight issue fix is related to multi monitors and is in the next patch?  

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, Mistermann said:

Regarding the George positioning in VR?  Or are you saying the boresight issue fix is related to multi monitors and is in the next patch?  

possibly, still to be determined. 
I run 3 screens and vr but I do not export to my other screens, I dont have any problem with boresighting, it seems those who do have problems are more likely to be exporting to other displays. 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Can of worms considered open, if it all might have to do with bore sighting then what is the correct way.  One eye like looking down a rifle sight or both eyes open?  Then there's the issue that was described above, I have to move my body up/down/sideways, etc., all while moving my helmet to get the circles concentric.  Are we supposed to just move our seating position each time to get the circles close enough to just move our head a little for alignment?  Is it out of alignment if I sit up straight and move by body to the left a little, fine adjust with helmet and click okay, then sit back to my normal comfortable position in my chair?  Dear God, I hope this makes sense but that is how you have to boresight in VR.

50 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I run 3 screens and vr but I do not export to my other screens, I dont have any problem with boresighting, it seems those who do have problems are more likely to be exporting to other displays. 

I have 3 screens and no problem in any IHADS aligment. The problem comes from VR not in Pilot IHADS but the TADS for the GUNNER. And I think the problem comes from the possition of the head center in the front seat. It seems too close to the TV screen, so always making the aligment with the circles (wihich I have to lower a lot my head to be able to align with the circles), it is offset to the left.

Edited by Japo32

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

So you're suggesting the boresight might have a fix coming.  Great.  

What about the george AI positioning?  That's where this thread started.  Is there a change coming for that?

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, Mistermann said:

So you're suggesting the boresight might have a fix coming.  Great.  

What about the george AI positioning?  That's where this thread started.  Is there a change coming for that?

The george menu positioning is correct, but some multi monitor setups have been creating problems for it. 

1 minute ago, BIGNEWY said:

The george menu positioning is correct, but some multi monitor setups have been creating problems for it. 

Thanks for bringing me along here - I am definitely not trying to be argumentative.  I really just want to understand.

Can we have a screen shot of what ED calls "correct positioning" for George AI in VR?  That way we can all understand if our VR experience isn't what its supposed to be.  

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• ED Team

I will do a screenshot soon. 

But from the pilots view in VR it should be middle top, from the gunner it should be middle bottom. 

We experimented with left and right middle but it was more straining on the eyes and did not feel as natural as looking up and down.

• Thanks 1

Quest 2 user here with no multimonitor (well, i have connected a TV but is always disable, only active when i have to use it)

George menu has the same problem has described here, obscured by ANVIS googles.

About boresight somewhere must be wrong, for me, to boresight it i must be offset to the right, looking that im sitting offset to the right and it´s weird, i doubt that is the correct way

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

On 3/19/2022 at 10:09 PM, Kayos said:

Here is my view.  The red circle is where I am looking straight ahead.  I assume the + should be where I am looking.  This is after boresighting.

KVMTGri

apache.jpg

Hi,

For me it is the same that this picture. The IHADSS symbology and George interface seems both to high for my VR helmet (a Lenovo Explorer).

George interface is nearly imposible to be seen in VR and the heading tape of the IHADSS is very blurry, because it is too high. The "P-HDM + box area sight position + FXD" line is just in front of my nose, and it should be much lower, isn't it?

I use the monocle, but it is the same.

In fact I have found how to solve the George interface position, for those of you that have this problem. But I don't know how to do the same with the IHADSS symbology (provided it is possible to change some other lua file)

Open the following file in the main DCS installation folder "..\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\AH-64D\Cockpit\Scripts\AI\PrestonAI_page_common.lua"

Make a backup copy (just in case) and found these lines at the very begining:

--for VR only!
local compass_pos         = {0,    -something}
local weap_control_pos     = {0,    something2} --seems okay, may be a subject to change

Change the value of something2 for a lower value (0.12 works for me), and voilá!!!

(Please, @BIGNEWY. Could you tell the developer that I love him. I'm not able to convince my colleages to comment the code, no matter the times I repeat it!) ^_^

Edited by daemon1808
  • Like 1

hi,

should it be possible to have an y-offset slider in special options for the IHADS simbology? like the one that has the KA-50 for the aiming circle.

this way everyone could adjust the IHADS symbology to their VR headset particularities. Most of the time I found myself looking at my feets to get the central crosshair in place, and it is very unconfortable.

• Like 1

I have tScreen_220331_210001.pnghe same issue but in revers. I use the Varjo Aero and the IHADSS is low and the George AI I can read at all its so low when in the front seat. I need to grab headset and force tilt it down to see it at all right eye or both eyes

Edited by RePhil

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

9 hours ago, daemon1808 said:

hi,

should it be possible to have an y-offset slider in special options for the IHADS simbology? like the one that has the KA-50 for the aiming circle.

this way everyone could adjust the IHADS symbology to their VR headset particularities. Most of the time I found myself looking at my feets to get the central crosshair in place, and it is very unconfortable.

See this:

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

4 hours ago, YoYo said:

See this:

4 hours ago, YoYo said:

See this:

Sorry YoYo. But I think it is not the same problem (or maybe I am understanding it wrong)

Boresigh function allows to align the FLIR night video in the IHADDS. That is not the problem, as the FLIR feedback is aligned perfectly with the "real world" image (in my case)

The problem is about the symbology of the IHADDS (heading tape, altitud tape,  aircraft nose, etc) appears too high in the VR screen. In fact the boresight does not affect in any way to the IHADDS symbology. You can have the FLIR completely un-aligned, and you'll see the IHADDS symbology in the exact same position in your screen (or your VR screen)

That's the reason I am proposing an slider in the options. The slider will off-set the symbology, not the FLIR night video)

Best regards

9 hours ago, RePhil said:

I have tScreen_220331_210001.pnghe same issue but in revers. I use the Varjo Aero and the IHADSS is low and the George AI I can read at all its so low when in the front seat. I need to grab headset and force tilt it down to see it at all right eye or both eyes

Hi,

Regarding George interface, check my solution above in this same threat. It should work for you too if you change the "something" or "something2"values to fit your preferences

Just for the sake of adding support to this topic, I experience the same problem.  The IHADSS monacle appears to be a tad high which also means the George AI menu requires I look very far up to see.  It's quite unnatural feeling and has me on TrackIR more than I'd want for such an amazing module to experience in VR.  I'm sure it has to do with my face shape and the necessary fit for the Reverb G2 for me, but it would be great if there was some vertical adjustment similar to what the Ka-50 has.

Millenix | 68th Virtual Fighter Squadron

AV8B | AJS-37 | F-5E | Mig-21bis | P-51D | Spitfire Mk IX | Bf-109 | M-2000C | A-10C | U1-H1 | Ka-50 | FC3

This may have come up before or may have been reported as "Menu Doubled" but I believe this is what may be happening.

I think that the George Menu is currently at a focal point/distance further away than the instruments panel in the aircraft.  It isn't quite so bad when looking at the upper menu as most of the time, this is above the instruments line of sight, often out into the airspace in front of the aircraft, and you are able to focus on the menu at that distance.  The issue becomes prominent, when looking at the lower George Menu, such as target selection.  This appears in the same line of sight as the instruments console.  Your eyes tend to focus onto the instruments depth plane, instead of the further distanced George plane.  To focus correctly, you are having to force yourself to look through the instruments to a further plane, where the George menu lives.  The current work around is often to tilt you head upward so that the lower George menu projects outside the cockpit.

I believe this could be resolved by projecting the lower George menu onto a plane that is AT or slightly nearer the instrument plane, from a normal seated position. 

Images and track files would be useless in this issue when being viewed by a 2D or single eye projection.

You can easily verify this is in VR, just by having George try to target something and take note of the plane depth at which the lower menu currently appears.  It will at first appear in double vision, until you can force yourself to focus at a point through the instruments panel further away.

On 4/3/2022 at 3:56 PM, IzeHouze said:

This may have come up before or may have been reported as "Menu Doubled" but I believe this is what may be happening.

I think that the George Menu is currently at a focal point/distance further away than the instruments panel in the aircraft.  It isn't quite so bad when looking at the upper menu as most of the time, this is above the instruments line of sight, often out into the airspace in front of the aircraft, and you are able to focus on the menu at that distance.  The issue becomes prominent, when looking at the lower George Menu, such as target selection.  This appears in the same line of sight as the instruments console.  Your eyes tend to focus onto the instruments depth plane, instead of the further distanced George plane.  To focus correctly, you are having to force yourself to look through the instruments to a further plane, where the George menu lives.  The current work around is often to tilt you head upward so that the lower George menu projects outside the cockpit.

I believe this could be resolved by projecting the lower George menu onto a plane that is AT or slightly nearer the instrument plane, from a normal seated position. 

Images and track files would be useless in this issue when being viewed by a 2D or single eye projection.

You can easily verify this is in VR, just by having George try to target something and take note of the plane depth at which the lower menu currently appears.  It will at first appear in double vision, until you can force yourself to focus at a point through the instruments panel further away.

No, its something new after the last patch. Menu Geaorge AI (as pilot) so when player use CPG position looks like is doubled. Sometimes it looks good, but if you turn on TADS and look at it after a while you will see 2 menus of George AI Pilot next to each other! 😞

Looks like a bug for me. The image is rendered in two different places on the left and right eye. As opposed to the above TADS it starts to be ok.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro