Questions after the first couple of sorties

TheCrysinator

Hello,

after my first sorties I now feel like I start to get the hang of the Apache but there are still some questions left unanswered:

Pilot:

- How do you change waypoints?

- Is there a NVG mode besides FLIR for the PNVS?

- Can you see George's stored targets?

CPG:

- When would you use the IHADSS with the TADS as sight IRL (this combo messes with my brain)?

- Can you temporarily turn off the IHADSS like in the fixed wing counterparts or is folding the monocle up (key: I) the way to go?

- Tracking moving targets is something I didn't try so far. Is it straight forward?

- Is there a way to latch the laser e.g. when engaging with the gun? Would you do this IRL?

If you have anything else to add feel free to do so. I might add more points as I progress as well.

Thank you in advance. Your input is much appreciated!

- Crysinator

To "change waypoints" you go to the RTE page and on the left side is a DIR option.  You can click this and then select a point or waypoint with the KU or the TSD.  This will make a bright green line to the point, and show the homeplate if in transition mode or cruise mode.  If this point is part of your route, when you get close, it will auto switch to the next point in the route.

2. There is a switch on the collective that switches between PNVS and TAD imagary for the pilot HMD.  maybe this is what you mean?

3.  I think there is a bug with george's storing currently.  I think you *should* be able to switch your TSD to attack mode from nav mode and see his stored targets, but currently I think you have to be in ATTCK mode when he stores them for this to work.  I need to mess around with it more

haven't played as CPG yet sorry

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheCrysinator said:

CPG:

- When would you use the IHADSS with the TADS as sight IRL (this combo messes with my brain)?

- Can you temporarily turn off the IHADSS like in the fixed wing counterparts or is folding the monocle up (key: I) the way to go?

- Tracking moving targets is something I didn't try so far. Is it straight forward?

- Is there a way to latch the laser e.g. when engaging with the gun? Would you do this IRL?

If you have anything else to add feel free to do so. I might add more points as I progress as well.

Thank you in advance. Your input is much appreciated!

- Crysinator

- Can you see George's stored targets? -  ACQ > TADS and you can use VID > TADS (Right side) > TADS (Top button # 6 on the MPD) It'll pull up his video. 

As far as stored targets, I think the previous comment from @ORboarder is accurate, he's not actually storing any targets unfortunately You can follow the tads los and crosshair on the tsd in conjunction with the video page and add a point there if you'd like 

- - When would you use the IHADSS with the TADS as sight IRL (this combo messes with my brain)? - It's situation dependent and some people like it some people don't, if you dislike it you can "turn off," I've bound mine and use it for frontseat. 

- Is there a way to latch the laser e.g. when engaging with the gun? Would you do this IRL? - What do you mean by latch the laser? If you mean slave the gun to the tads.  It's based off what your sight select (bottom left of your displays shows what you have as a sight, CHMD / PHMD for IHADSS or TADS for Tads, pilot cannot use TADS as a sight source) If your sight source is tads and you weapons action switch or WAS gun it will be looking wherever the tads is pointing.  Then CPG can lase as he see's fit for range updates to the gun. 

Edited by kgillers3
clarification
  • Like 1

Hello,

after my first sorties I now feel like I start to get the hang of the Apache but there are still some questions left unanswered:

Pilot:
- How do you change waypoints?
- Is there a NVG mode besides FLIR for the PNVS?

- Crysinator

-You change waypoints automatically by flying over them. It'll go to the next one.
Or, you can click route (B5 if I'm not mistaken) click dir for direct, then point? (L1 or 2) and then on the keypad type W01,2,3 etc.
-NVG Goggles. Bind gain up and down too.
-no idea.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

On 3/19/2022 at 4:19 AM, TheCrysinator said:

I think the OP is asking if there is a way to keep the laser active without having to hold the button the whole time, so it behaves like a "latched" button, and not a "momentary" button.

I think the answer is no; probably because you don't want your targets to be able to sense they are being lased any longer than is necessary.  I've got my XBox controller setup with the two triggers for lase and fire, which seems to work well.

You could, of course, set that up as a toggle outside of DCS using one of the many remapping programs available.

Edited by Floyd1212

I think the OP is asking if there is a way to keep the laser active without having to hold the button the whole time, so it behaves like a "latched" button, and not a "momentary" button.
I think the answer is no; probably because you don't want your targets to be able to sense they are being lased any longer than is necessary.  I've got my XBox controller setup with the two triggers for lase and fire, which seems to work well.
You could, of course, set that up as a toggle outside of DCS using one of the many remapping programs available.
Sorry for the late response but that's exactly what I meant. I mapped the second laser stage on a switch and that works fine for now. I understand that you want to limit the time the laser is on but when I'm using the gun on the move I don't want to keep pressing another trigger all the time.

Also thank you all for the insight and replies. The only point left on my list is the Image Auto Tracker but I figured that it's not implemented yet.