Gun: Trouble hitting anything with HMD (crosshairs way off)

Nealius

How is everyone finding the gun usage plus HMD? I can't seem to hit anything, with the rounds landing anywhere from 10-100m away from the crosshair. Sometimes left, sometimes right, sometimes above. Nothing is consistent enough for Kentucky windage. After my first burst to see where the rounds go, I adjust, and the second burst goes somewhere completely different.

-VR

-HMD is boresighted

-Range set to Auto 

Is it supposed to be this far off the crosshairs?

You have to manually account for lead. Especially when you are shooting to the sides with high velocity.

Also it is an „area effect“ weapon. Not meant to do precise sniping.

Try to fire from stationary hover. It will be a lot more accurate.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

36 minutes ago, Dannyvandelft said:

If you're moving, but your target isn't, you have to aim behind the target, so opposite of lead.

I've had instances where "leading" behind the target still results in rounds impacting well aft of the crosshairs, rather than on or before the crosshairs. Other times I've had to lead with the crosshairs ahead of the target. Walking on to the target doesn't work because the amount of lead/dispersion is inconsistent between each burst. 

Edited by Nealius

• ED Team

in VR are you using both eyes? or just right? 

If you are using both try right only see if it makes a difference for you, some have been struggling with both eye boresight 

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I thought I was having trouble too but I realized that I was choosing auto and then going wrong and reboxing the manual range again (1500). Once I stopped doing this and it says auto on the keyboard screen (forget name) it seemed better. I had sight in right eye only. 

This gun with VR is absolutely nuts. I can't believe it a real weapon... Crazy. 

@BIGNEWYI've tried both and right eye only, doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

One thing I've found strange is that when traveling from left to right, I have to "lead" the target by placing the crosshair ahead of my target. But when traveling from right to left, I have to "lead" the target by placing the crosshair behind my target.

Left --> Right Rounds impacting aft of the crosshair (under the left dashed line)

Right --> Left Rounds impacting ahead of the crosshair (right on the upper-left side of the diamond)

Would the wind be causing the fore/aft discrepancy between left-right and right-left approaches?

Edited by Nealius

• ED Team

wind will have an effect of course.

Best thing to do is attach a short as possible track replay so we can take a look. 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Had the same issue as Nealius. Using HP Reverb in VR all bullets and Rockets way off. Then tested two configurations:

1. VR with HP Reverb, HMD aligned, range set to auto -> All way off (Bullets and Rockets much too high)

2. No VR but using TrackIR instead, HMD aligned, range set to auto -> All fine!

3. Going back to VR, HMD aligned, range set to auto -> All way off again

Edited by Uno
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I´m also having a problem of the gun hitting way off, most probably high, but using TrackIR.

I have not found what causes this so far, as sometimes it works just fine, and then again not.  I thought it maybe because I didn´t align the IHADSS in a hot from ground start, as that was the first time it happened, but that was not the problem.

Sometimes it´s so far off I can´t even see any bullet impacts at all. Or maybe the crew chief trolled me and loaded blanks lol.

Ok, most probably my problem was caused by a stupid binding of the Boresight/Polarity switch and me being stupid boresighting while I wanted to change polarity (and looking somewhere...).
I guess that was it, as the problem started to show when I started playing around with the PNVS-stuff.

So please disregard my transmission...

• Thanks 1

• ED Team
On 3/19/2022 at 1:05 PM, WolfK33 said:

Ok, most probably my problem was caused by a stupid binding of the Boresight/Polarity switch and me being stupid boresighting while I wanted to change polarity (and looking somewhere...).
I guess that was it, as the problem started to show when I started playing around with the PNVS-stuff.

So please disregard my transmission...

Boresight switch is functioning currently, the manual says it is non functional, I will check with the team which it should be. 

• Thanks 1

• ED Team

The BS side of the collective BS/PLRT switch should be non-functional in this aircraft due to the avionics version and it being equipped with Modernized-TADS (MTADS).

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• ED Team

Yes I have reported boresight switch and the functionality will be removed. 

thanks

I'm using the Rift S and am having no issues. I have mostly been using the auto function for range. Also, I haven't boresighted once. So far, things are just working for me. I think the only issue I have seen so far is the George interface in VR seems off... not easy to see... out of .....I'm not sure, it just seems to need tweaking in VR.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

Yeah I seem to have the same issue. I have done boresighting from cold start and followed all the tutorials etc but my cannon and rockets when using the head mounted display go no where near where I'm aiming. 

Might try cold start without doing boresighting and see how that goes

33 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Rockets are working fine for me. It's just the gun that's way off, even when in a hover. I'll see if I can get a quick replay track tomorrow.

Well, there's a lot of things that can go wrong while using the gun. The gun range not set right, compensation for wind and movement of the helo, etc...

I highly recommend to anyone to watch this video from Casmo. It helped me a lot to understand the idiosyncrasies of using the Gun:

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

14 hours ago, Sirchuzzalot said:

Yeah I seem to have the same issue. I have done boresighting from cold start and followed all the tutorials etc but my cannon and rockets when using the head mounted display go no where near where I'm aiming. 

Might try cold start without doing boresighting and see how that goes

Are you in TADS mode or IHADSS . On HMD . Trackir .

TADS works in fact it's spot on . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

I've followed Casmos vids but can't get it working.

I have track ir and am in ihadss mode. Yeah if I go to the gunner seat and use tads thats working and that's how I've been using the cannon. 

But I'll try it without boresighting it after work today and see if that's better or worse

On 3/19/2022 at 1:33 AM, Nealius said:

How is everyone finding the gun usage plus HMD? I can't seem to hit anything, with the rounds landing anywhere from 10-100m away from the crosshair. Sometimes left, sometimes right, sometimes above. Nothing is consistent enough for Kentucky windage. After my first burst to see where the rounds go, I adjust, and the second burst goes somewhere completely different.

-VR

-HMD is boresighted

-Range set to Auto 

Is it supposed to be this far off the crosshairs?

I don't think boresight is working properly in VR so it is way off.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Try to get HMD as TADS . Not IHADSS . 

I don't know how it's done but I flew in a server today and the Apache was already to fly . With HMD already set too TADS. 

Edited by KoN

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .