Gun: Trouble hitting anything with HMD (crosshairs way off)

Nealius

9 hours ago, RodBorza said:

Well, there's a lot of things that can go wrong while using the gun. The gun range not set right, compensation for wind and movement of the helo, etc...

Seen it. Doesn't fix the problem. The compensation for helo movement is inconsistent. When moving left-to-right perpendicular to the target the crosshair must be placed ahead of the target. When moving right-to-left of the target the crosshair must be placed behind the target. When in a hover, auto-ranging, the rounds still do not impact where the HMD crosshairs are. And yes, I am boresighted.

yesterday, I experienced a strange issue:

During a hover, I messed around with the front seat for the first time. Everything's fine so far.

As I tried to aim the gun with the CP/G's HMD, I realized that the gun aimed WAAAAY to low.

Was wondering where the bullets are going, switched to exterior and saw the gun shooting into the ground, while aiming on a target about 800m - 1km away.

Auto Range did nothing. Increasing the manual range got the barrel up, more and more. Even on 5000m the gun aimed way to low, not to say it was just not pointing at the target.

It felt like the manual range was set to 500m or even less and any change would not affect the barrel elevation...

Edited by Niehorst

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

After boresighting check the result with PNVS FLIR overlay in the IHADSS. By straight looking forward the FLIR image should fit exactly over the outside world. Only then, the gun and everything else related to the crosshair in the IHADSS will be as accurate as possible.

• Thanks 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Similar thread here:

After this many reports, I think it's safe to conclude that something just is not right.

Some people here (with all good intentions) report that all is normal around the whole boresight calibrating, yet they fail to include what HMD they are using and in which eye they have the IHADSS rendered, making the feedback not really useful...

Unfortunately track files aren't really useful here either, as replaying the track file won't show exactly where the player was initially looking at through his/her HMD (which is obviously essential in the boresight alignment process). Let's hope ED is able to find out what's happening here.

I think the key for ED to finding the issue is, to just do the cold start and IHADSS alignment procedure with various HMD's, TrackIR and pancake, and capture the various results on gun accuracy.

@Uno nailed the problem here with this post:

Had the same issue as Nealius. Using HP Reverb in VR all bullets and Rockets way off. Then tested two configurations:

1. VR with HP Reverb, HMD aligned, range set to auto -> All way off (Bullets and Rockets much too high)

2. No VR but using TrackIR instead, HMD aligned, range set to auto -> All fine!

3. Going back to VR, HMD aligned, range set to auto -> All way off again

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

My guess is that the current state of boresighting is not "calibrating in 3D space" like IRL. It's simply using a paralax method which will only work correctly in 2D on a monitor.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

It does seem to be a VR boresighting issue. Testing in zero-wind conditions from both hot start and cold start, I have found the following:

Hot start

PNVS is more-or-less centered, with a very slight right bias. When gun is employed from a hover, the rounds are very accurate and land within the inner diameter of the HMD crosshairs, if slightly biased left, though the inaccuracy is minimal.

PBcLWrc.png

Cold Start

Boresighting is impossible to get precise due to head shakiness picked up by the VR headset, but the HMD crosshairs stay within the inner circle. PNVS has strong right bias. When gun is employed from a hover, the rounds are biased left. In the attached trackfile the first burst appears accurate, however every burst after consistently lands left of crosshair center.

z8oLFvx.png

xlbQoYw.png

As to the status of this thread/report, is it "unable to reproduce" or is it "investigating?" The forum tags are being applied inconsistently, and confusingly.

ColdStartSP0Wind.trk

Edited by Nealius

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

It does seem to be a VR boresighting issue. Testing in zero-wind conditions from both hot start and cold start, I have found the following:

Hot start

PNVS is more-or-less centered, with a very slight right bias. When gun is employed from a hover, the rounds are very accurate and land within the inner diameter of the HMD crosshairs, if slightly biased left, though the inaccuracy is minimal.

PBcLWrc.png

Cold Start

Boresighting is impossible to get precise due to head shakiness picked up by the VR headset, but the HMD crosshairs stay within the inner circle. PNVS has strong right bias. When gun is employed from a hover, the rounds are biased left. In the attached trackfile the first burst appears accurate, however every burst after consistently lands left of crosshair center.

z8oLFvx.png

xlbQoYw.png

As to the status of this thread/report, is it "unable to reproduce" or is it "investigating?" The forum tags are being applied inconsistently, and confusingly.

ColdStartSP0Wind.trk 4.21 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks for this extended bug report @Nealius(I tried to do the same in the other thread, but yours is better)

Tbh, I'm really surprised (and a tad concerned) that this thread got tagged "unable to reproduce" 🤔

I would expect this to be extremely easy to reproduce.

1. Use HP Reverb (and maybe other HMD's
  2. IIHADSSon right eye render only
  3. Cold start
  4. Align yellow boresight rings concentrically
  5. Try the gun

Do the same without VR and see the difference

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Hi

I have similar issues.

For now, I can say that it happen to me in VR (Samsung Odyseey) on cold start in a multiplayer server.

The only time that the gun has been aligned OK, was on an "instant action mission" in 2D (In SP obviously)

I don't have track replay, but yesterday I was looking down at my 2"oclock and a friend was telling me that the gun was shotting straight in front of the aircraft.

Hope that help.

In VR the only solution I found was disabling the "use mouse" functionality when boresighting and using the mouse cursor (which is now at the center of the screen) instead of the HMD. It's still not perfect but much more accurate. I can just activate the use mouse again afterwards

To be honest the boresight procedure feels random and doesn't provide much to the sim but frustration, maybe we could have a special option to have it automaticaly aligned correctly every time and not have to go through this pain ? Would be sweet

Edited by ked

Yep, i'm using basically the same procedure. With the fixed mouse pointer crosshair you get the absolute center between your eyes, first boresighting calibration pass goes with crosshair over center of the boresighting unit, second step is refining with PNVS FLIR overlay. Two or three B/S clicks with little offset from the boresighting unit later the FLIR overlay is aligned almost perfectly.

Edited by RealDCSpilot

Your in FXD sight mode turn it too TADS .

Try please 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

1 hour ago, KoN said:

Your in FXD sight mode turn it too TADS .

When engaging with the gun I am not in FXD. Acquisition source is set to TADS. Typically during engagements my acquisition source is the Waypoint, as it is in Wag's tutorial video. I don't see why acquisition source should affect gun accuracy from the P-HMD.

Edited by Nealius

• 3 months later...