I Found Apache is Harder to Fly than the Huey

SCPanda
Go to solution Solved by TobiasA,

i play golf with a retired delta pilot. he likes to talk about it. i will ask some questions and share second hand knowledge. he was telling me that pilots have to fly fixed wing at some point, i think he said late in career. but army is pretty light when it comes to fixed wing. mostly elint.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

Without seeing your acceleration vector I can't be sure, but it looks like you used a lot of left pedal to try and find him, then when you do you are now flying sideways at roughly 40 knots.  Not sure what input you made on the controls at that point to induce the roll, though.  And that being said, the flight model is definitely a WIP.

I do that a lot. In the most extreme cases it was to the left so I just chalked it up to retreating blade stall. I do get smaller dips to both the left and to the right and even the smallest correction seems to over correct it leaving me swinging back and forth under the blades. I am also seeing an almost complete loss of yaw authority at times and at other times it's so twitchy I can't keep the nose pointed in the right direction.

After reading a lot of post concerning controllability I'm wondering if it might not be a difference in our input devices. Curves are not helping at all.  I was hoping the last up date would at least dampen the problem if not fixing it completely but it doesn't seem to have done anything. ED may not have worked on it yet.

• Like 1

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

On 3/19/2022 at 4:33 AM, SCPanda said:

Anyone feel the same? Huey wobbles but it's really not that hard to control, especially in a hover. Apache on the on the hand is very wobbly and almost impossible to control in a hover. 

Agree, but I am also a raw recruit in DCS: AH-64D. My wobbles are mostly in pedal (yaw). Just speculating, but I suspect that internal control dampening and filtering pedal rudder (yaw) signal. I have TM pedals. So far they have been very good in DCS, and excellent in KA-50, UH-1H, and Gazelle. I tried MI-24P for trial, and pedals were smooth. But in AH-64D I get fishtailing and wobbliness in yaw. AH-64D module exhibits a reasonable amount of translating tendency that tail rotor helicopters have. This behavior is not strong in other DCS helo modules, but it is pronounced in AH-64D. I do not consider it a bug, in fact I think it should remain. To compensate for translation tendency in Apache, small amount of counter cyclic to the side is needed. With any cyclic deflection, a little of of collective is needed, which then requires a little of pedal correction. Everything needs very small very precise controls, and sadly TM driver provides pedal signal has some a some noise in it. That noise has to be filtered and dampened by flight control. Right now AH-64D module is not doing that to the precise degree that is needed. But this is speculative on my part. I am hacking that by setting control curve in for AH-64D rudder axis to 50, and saturation Y to 70. So that initial signal to FCS is lower, thus needed less noise filtering.

RackMonkey,

There is a chance the Apache might not be for you?

I find the Apache fairly easy and really quite fun to fly.  My any actual flight experience as a fixed or rotary wing pilot is 0.00.  But maybe that is an advantage for a game.  I do not have the opinion that this and that are messed up compared to the real world.  I only have the this and that and I learn to use what is there.  A paradigm shift possibly might improve your enjoyment?

Have you tried the new functional Attitude, Hover and Velocity Hold modes?  I use them constantly and they are a game changer IMO.

I will say that the Trimmer was a major source of difficulty initially for me.  So much so that I quit using it altogether for a period of time out of sheer frustration.  Holding the controls for extended periods of time got tiresome so I learned to use the Trimmer.

Best of Luck,

Caldera

On 5/31/2022 at 3:20 PM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Agree, but I am also a raw recruit in DCS: AH-64D. My wobbles are mostly in pedal (yaw). Just speculating, but I suspect that internal control dampening and filtering pedal rudder (yaw) signal. I have TM pedals. So far they have been very good in DCS, and excellent in KA-50, UH-1H, and Gazelle. I tried MI-24P for trial, and pedals were smooth. But in AH-64D I get fishtailing and wobbliness in yaw. AH-64D module exhibits a reasonable amount of translating tendency that tail rotor helicopters have. This behavior is not strong in other DCS helo modules, but it is pronounced in AH-64D. I do not consider it a bug, in fact I think it should remain. To compensate for translation tendency in Apache, small amount of counter cyclic to the side is needed. With any cyclic deflection, a little of of collective is needed, which then requires a little of pedal correction. Everything needs very small very precise controls, and sadly TM driver provides pedal signal has some a some noise in it. That noise has to be filtered and dampened by flight control. Right now AH-64D module is not doing that to the precise degree that is needed. But this is speculative on my part. I am hacking that by setting control curve in for AH-64D rudder axis to 50, and saturation Y to 70. So that initial signal to FCS is lower, thus needed less noise filtering.

I have same pedals and same problems and still do. I'm sure it's just the pedals and a lack of ah-64d knowledge. Those pedals are just hard to move small amounts with your feet and sometimes when I try they can suddenly slip and next thing I'm over correcting back and forth.

However, You can still fly it and get fairly good at it with those pedal. When I first got It had the same feelings you have but they can be overcome with practice and knowledge. Some of your complaints seem to be lack of AH-64d Knowledge, no offence, and again I was exactly the same way. 

Watch some pilot videos and listen, there can be some real gems in them that will fix some of your questions and problems and help you tame the beast.

And when I tell you I had same problems and feeling I mean it! I had to check who posted your post because I thought it was my post but didn't remember doing it. lol I can now hover without any auto pilot if need be, just do not get too close. 🙂

I just love practicing landings and have gotten quite good at it if I say so myself. I now shoot tanks, trains, automobiles you know blowing up the town.  :I can even fly the dreaded I beam onto a target. (if you don't know what the "I" beam is, you will))

Still have tons to learn, though. I may upgrade my pedals at some point but not for some time.

Anyways Stick to it, it'll come to you. Good luck