After so many years, radio and comms still not working

primus_TR

Hello,

I decided to give the mig21 another try after several years. In two persistant campaigns that I have tried (Operation Enable and Through the Inferno: Caucasus), and in the stock missions (training and others), the comms are still not working on both the easy and non-easy comms setting. The squelch noise is there; the channel is set correctly;  power is on etc. I checked the mission files in the editor and confirmed that the frequencies were correctly assigned to respective channels. 

So what's the deal here? I can live with unrealistic avionics and other quirks of this module, but lack of ATC and AWACS communication is a gamebreaker. I do not have this problem with any other modules. So I don't buy the "DCS updates broke the module" line. 

This issue has been with this module since 2015. I must say it is very poor showing by Leatherneck or Magnitude (not sure who is responsible for fixing basic bugs) and not a great incentive to purchase their other offerings. 

If there is a solution to the comms problem that I am not aware of (I read up on it on the forums here), please advise. 

Kind regards

• Like 2

I have used comms in MiG-21 with both ATC and AWACS in both offline and online missions as recently as this year and the whole last year or so while I was giving this module a new twist. I don't know exactly what you mean when you talk about an issue since 2015. Could you further explain?

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

3 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

I have used comms in MiG-21 with both ATC and AWACS in both offline and online missions as recently as this year and the whole last year or so while I was giving this module a new twist. I don't know exactly what you mean when you talk about an issue since 2015. Could you further explain?

Try the instant action cold start mission at Nalchik. Ask the tower for permission to start up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2022 at 1:17 PM, primus_TR said:

So what's the deal here? I can live with unrealistic avionics and other quirks of this module, but lack of ATC and AWACS communication is a gamebreaker. I do not have this problem with any other modules. So I don't buy the "DCS updates broke the module" line. 

As a veteran, you should know better that it's indeed "just another day in the office" with every DCS OB update, even for modules ED is supposed to maintain, let alone 3rd party ones.

I know MiG comms used to work a couple of updates ago though I don't use ATC much at all because of how useless it is in general nowadays, so I don't know when they got broken. You're right about latest version, however - in aforementioned mission I only get text for cold-start permission, no sound, and no further messages at all. Same in my old, custom made missions - will have to check what happens in fresh ones.

Seems to be a bigger 2.7.11 problem - I 've read reports that Spitfire, F-16, F-14, F-86, F-5 are also affected, although not for everyone it seems.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Ok, it was working and now radio in MiG-21 isn't. As Art-J also says, there're some reports for other modules as well, sometimes it happens in OB. It does something, a weird chat message appears, but no audio or actual comms. Also some RSBN appear to be broken.

I know comms in general are WIP indeed after Supercarrier release with some new comms, but I don't know it that's the reason here. You can try stable if you need to fly it with ATC, it's on the exact previous patch of OB now, I believe.

I mean, don't think it's been like that since 2015 as you said in OP, it wasn't and you just picked a bad time to get back 😅 .

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

13 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

you just picked a bad time to get back 😅

Perhaps so. Bummer tho, I like this old bird and the module overall. I took my mig15 for a spin, everything working fine with that one (which has quirky comms also) and all the others I tried (ww2 birds, su25A&T, KA50 and others). 

Thanks guys for the answers. Guess not gonna hold my breath for a fix.

~S~

5 hours ago, primus_TR said:

Thanks guys for the answers. Guess not gonna hold my breath for a fix.

Or do, it might well be some little thing that is fixed in the next patch, it wasn't broken last week. As I told you, if you fly offline or something where you need ATC, just go stable for now.

3 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Or do, it might well be some little thing that is fixed in the next patch, it wasn't broken last week. As I told you, if you fly offline or something where you need ATC, just go stable for now.

Unfortunately, persistent/dynamic missions support only the beta build 😕 

The radio stopped working. Text appears in the upper left corner, but there is no sound. The volume is on, the channel is set correctly, the toggle switch is in the radio position. I tried it in the editor. I put the plane in Krasnodar, put the frequency of the airfield on channel "0" -it's still silence. AWACS 1L13 at a frequency of 124.0 also does not respond.

Are the developers also silent?

GreyCat_SPb

No, we have noticed it. Does it still persist after todays update?

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Aviator78 said:

Everything ok as far as I can tell, no issues here.

Tested again, worked normal... must have been a mission problem.

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

On 8/27/2022 at 6:32 PM, Rhinozherous said:

Is this Bug back? I have all set correct but no chance getting any response from AWACS for example.

Having the same issues here, flying the instant action mission on syria map, trying to get callouts from either AWACS works for like 2 minutes than stops, have channels set correctly, the RBSN doesn't seem to work either. It's super finnicky. Sometimes it works other times it doesnt. If I follow the briefings channel numbers I can't get ATC or awacs to work.

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2022 at 1:58 AM, Art-J said:

As a veteran, you should know better that it's indeed "just another day in the office" with every DCS OB update, even for modules ED is supposed to maintain, let alone 3rd party ones.

I know MiG comms used to work a couple of updates ago though I don't use ATC much at all because of how useless it is in general nowadays, so I don't know when they got broken. You're right about latest version, however - in aforementioned mission I only get text for cold-start permission, no sound, and no further messages at all. Same in my old, custom made missions - will have to check what happens in fresh ones.

Seems to be a bigger 2.7.11 problem - I 've read reports that Spitfire, F-16, F-14, F-86, F-5 are also affected, although not for everyone it seems.

Communication was fine with the stabilized version 2.7.11.22211, but not with the latest beta 2.7.18.30765, which was installed for Syria.

Edited by JAPman

CPU:Core i7-2700K 4.8GHz

Mother Board:Asrock Z77Extreme6

Memory:G.SKILL DDR3-2133 16GB

Graphic Card:AMD HD7970 1125/1575MHz

Display:Eyefinity / Square x3

Oh, sorry, beta 2.7.18.30765, communication is fine when starting from parking hot, but on cold start, 21 can't even start the engine. Of course, there is no response to my request to the tower to start the engine.

I guess I should give up on it being a beta and consider a multi install...

CPU:Core i7-2700K 4.8GHz

Mother Board:Asrock Z77Extreme6

Memory:G.SKILL DDR3-2133 16GB

Graphic Card:AMD HD7970 1125/1575MHz

Display:Eyefinity / Square x3

• ED Team
6 hours ago, JAPman said:

Oh, sorry, beta 2.7.18.30765, communication is fine when starting from parking hot, but on cold start, 21 can't even start the engine. Of course, there is no response to my request to the tower to start the engine.

I guess I should give up on it being a beta and consider a multi install...

I just checked and it works in OB. I get permission from Nalchik tower and I can start the engine no problem. What exactly are you doing, step by step? Do you have easy comms on perhaps? (it shouldn't matter though, I checked and it works even with easy comms)

Edited by m4ti140