COMM Squelch Switches and Warning Speeches.

Devrim
Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

Hi...

At COLD START, this is what I see on COMM panel.

image.png

Naturally I can't hear warning speeches well and I crank up the Master Volume.
At that moment I hear too much white noise comes from squelch channels.
I get rid of them by pushing SQL switches "up".

BUT! If I sit the cockpit with HOT START, all SQL switches up and I can easily hear warning audios.

Is here correct as is? 🙂

I mean, when a switch is down position, shouldn't it be OFF?
In Apache, these switches are working in opposite way?

Thank you!

Edited by Devrim

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

• ED Team
  • Solution

Squelch manages a radio's audio so that you don't here the raw audio static unless you get a minimum level of radio signal (very basic explanation that probably isn't accurate, but I'm being lazy).

So when squelch is turned down or off, you will hear a radio's raw audio output continuously regardless of the presence of a strong radio signal being received.

Having said that, the current implementation of these switches is not correct. They should be springloaded to a center position, and are "bumped" forward to toggle squelch on that radio, or bumped back to remove it.

The reasons these switches should work this way (which is accurate to real life AH-64Ds) is because there are two switches for each radio, one in each cockpit. If the pilot has the VHF squelch switch turned off but the CPG has it turned on, what switch should be correct? So the switches are just bumped in a direction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Ah! I got it Raptop9. Thanks so much. I missed the working logic of SQL.

Now it makes sense.

About switches, you're right. In manual, it says "momentary toggle switches" but it's not in the sim.

OK... Well, thanks!

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5

• ED Team
33 minutes ago, Devrim said:

OK... Well, thanks!

No problem, glad to help out a member that has contributed a lot to the community in the past.

• Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Oh! Thanks man, and you're welcome. 🥰🥰🥰

So what is the procedure now during Cold Start?
All the SQL switches up?
I found it that the radio is silent with master volume to 50% and switches downduring the training mission, but when I want to do Cold Start anywhere else, I get static noise - and mowing the switches up helps...

Apparently the real apache has the squelch switches spring loaded to the center position (because there is a set in each cockpit and they both control the same radio hardware). Squelch should be on (up) or you get raw audio in your headset from all 5 radios.

I think right now it's incorrectly implemented. But yes, put them up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2022 at 2:16 PM, Raptor9 said:

Having said that, the current implementation of these switches is not correct. They should be springloaded to a center position, and are "bumped" forward to toggle squelch on that radio, or bumped back to remove it.

The reasons these switches should work this way (which is accurate to real life AH-64Ds) is because there are two switches for each radio, one in each cockpit. If the pilot has the VHF squelch switch turned off but the CPG has it turned on, what switch should be correct? So the switches are just bumped in a direction.

Thanks! This explains why the CPG radios are already squelched while the SQL switches are in down positon when I squelched the PLT radios before on a cold start procedure. 😃

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I have been through the cold start training many times and have pretty much got it down pat now. So I loaded up a cold start mission in instant action in the Caucasus. I proceed through the cold start turning master volume to 50% as I was trained to do. However in this mission I get this extremely loud squelching sound in my headset. What in blazes is that? It is way louder than even the APU. I have to turn master volume all the way down to get rid of it before it blows my ears out.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

vor 7 Minuten schrieb dburne:

Ok so I have been through the cold start training many times and have pretty much got it down pat now. So I loaded up a cold start mission in instant action in the Caucasus. I proceed through the cold start turning master volume to 50% as I was trained to do. However in this mission I get this extremely loud squelching sound in my headset. What in blazes is that? It is way louder than even the APU. I have to turn master volume all the way down to get rid of it before it blows my ears out.

You need to turn on all the squelch switches:

scrnsht12.jpg

Viggen GIF 2.gif

"If we don't end war, war will end us."  

H. G. Wells

Ok much thanks guys!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have the same problem. My thread has been marked as solved; Raptor did a good explanation, but actually that's not a solution.