LST picking up JTAC unit itself

Tomcatter87

Something strange occurred to me today. I was using the LST to attack units that were marked by laser of an AI JTAC with Mk82s. The LST found a laser - turned out it was the JTAC unit itself. What did I do wrong? I couldn't find any of the actual targets. 

Edited by Tomcatter87

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

4 minutes ago, Draken35 said:

DCS native JTAC or JTAC script?

Native DCS function, set up via mission editor in a way it usually works. 

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

That what I thought at first. However I was coming from the same direction as the JTAC. One thing that might be possible: I added a camo netting from the ERO mod around the TOW Humvee, maybe the laser hit the netting? I'll try that one out and let you guys know.

On 3/28/2022 at 9:55 AM, Tomcatter87 said:

I was coming from the same direction as the JTAC. One thing that might be possible: I added a camo netting from the ERO mod around the TOW Humvee, maybe the laser hit the netting?

AFAIK IRL laser back scatter from water vapour near the laser source may be detected, hence the LST's seeker FOV (+/- 30°) should not encompass the lasing JTAC.

IIRC DCS models the podium effect where the laser spot only appears on the facing side of a target.

I'm not sure how DCS treats the designator, only enough that I must keep the JTAC far enough away and to the side - out of LOS of the GBU seeker, etc. (otherwise bad things may happen).

JTAC Laser Designation Safety Zone.PNG

Edited by Ramsay
spelling

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080