This campaign is... and not compatible with Vista?

bladebarrier

Hello,

I just purchased Black Shark, and wanted to know if I should contact Mastercard for a refund. I went through training to start up my first campaign, to see a message in game that BS is not compatible with my OS (Vista x64), but I did not see any warnings of this when I went to buy it.

Is it true that a game made these days wouldn't be designed for the common OS that can properly use a normal amount of RAM?

Is the in game message an excuse to not bother supporting Vista, but it will run fine anyways?

Am I jipped $50 and forced to dual boot into an outdated OS?

I thought the multi-core issue was a turn off but acceptable, until I saw this. I haven't run XP in over 2 years, or any 32 bit OS for that matter.

Thanks

I'm running the campaign on Vista x64 and not having any problems. Perhaps the more I get into it I may encounter problems, but not so far.

Perhaps the warning should read "MAY not be compatible" instead of "IS not compatible"

May not be compatible would have users with Vista installations ringing for support when it doesn't meet their expectations. Opens pandora's box.

So far it's worked my end on Vista64.

as i remember, there is an "issue" how vista is adressing the RAM, and ED already is in contact with MS to adress this issue with a update for vista. the problem is vista-sided, and only MS can do something about it... no guarantee for that, but i think i read someting like this a few days ago somewhere around here...

Democracy is choice, not freedom...

• ED Team
as i remember, there is an "issue" how vista is adressing the RAM, and ED already is in contact with MS to adress this issue with a update for vista. the problem is vista-sided, and only MS can do something about it... no guarantee for that, but i think i read someting like this a few days ago somewhere around here...

That's correct.

• 1 month later...

Any news about this??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

Works fine here for now, but then again i run Vista X64 with 4gb ram.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 3930K.

16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz.

Asus P9X79 Deluxe.

Asus GTX680 2Gb.

Auzentech Home Theater 3D Sound.

TM Warthog HOTAS.

TM Cougar MFD's.

Saitek Flight Pro pedals.

TrackIR 5.

Samsung Syncmaster P2770FH

the problem is vista-sided, and only MS can do something about it...

Could someone explain why only DCS Black Shark would suffer from this problem and requires M$ to solve it, when there are hundreds of other games running fine on Vista?

IMO Vista's memory management is superior to XP's in every way.

(Running BS in Vista x64 with no problems what so ever, and the memory usage is minimal, max 20% of my RAM is used during gameplay.)

yeah, in the english version there are 4 possible campaigns and i get the same message for all except the first one(deployment). however, a few missions into the first "incompatible" campaign i have no issues to report so far!

So the problem is performance and stability or something that may destroy the campaign? In the recommended setup it says only Vista. I am confuse!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

So the problem is performance and stability or something that may destroy the campaign? In the recommended setup it says only Vista. I am confuse!!

In the named campaigns, there are a few missions with many active units and this seems to have caused some performance issues during the beta-tests.

According to DCS this is a memory management problem with Vista.

Who knows. At least most of us Vista-Users never experienced that issue. I tested BS with XP and Vista in parallel installations for weeks and found that with Vista it performed significantly better than with XP, especially with heavy loaded missions. :dunno:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

The basic root of the problem was related to the fact that with more units on the map, more terrain has to be loaded and tracked, and all that runs through Vista.

I have however not experienced any issues beyond a few FPS less in the "incompatible" campaign on my Vista64.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Look up vista prefetch.

Could someone explain why only DCS Black Shark would suffer from this problem and requires M$ to solve it, when there are hundreds of other games running fine on Vista?

IMO Vista's memory management is superior to XP's in every way.

(Running BS in Vista x64 with no problems what so ever, and the memory usage is minimal, max 20% of my RAM is used during gameplay.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• ED Team

During testing, myself and most other testers experienced severe problems when using Vista, often due to the increased RAM usage by Vista. This often resulted in dropped textures and even game crashes. As such, the statement was included to best inform the user of this potential problem.

Given that this does not appear to be an issue now, the statement has been removed for the upcoming 1.01 patch.

scratch what i said about no problems:

it seems that if i die while playing part 1 of the georgian campaign, i have to start from the beginning. also, the missions are different every time i re-do them but they have the same names as before. anybody know whats going on? i had no such issues in the vista-compatible campaign.

During testing, myself and most other testers experienced severe problems when using Vista, often due to the increased RAM usage by Vista. This often resulted in dropped textures and even game crashes. As such, the statement was included to best inform the user of this potential problem.

Given that this does not appear to be an issue now, the statement has been removed for the upcoming 1.01 patch.

Wags, was this 32bit Vista when it mapped Video RAM into user RAM space (fixed by MS update about 8/9 months ago)? Just curious... :) Vista 32 is a bloody awful OS! Vista 64 is fine.. IF you have plenty of RAM.

"There are no "mission names" just an indication of the general type of mission like "Area Defense", "Deliberate Attack", "Raid", etc."

OH! thanks for clearing that up. so i quit that campaign for no reason *facepalm*

• 1 month later...