5-15 FPS drop when TADS video underlay for pilot

FalcoGer

There is a big performance hit when TADS is underlayed on the pilots MPDs, for example on weapons. I usually get 15-20 FPS, which is not great, but flyable. With the video I get around 12 FPS average, at times dropping to 2-3FPS randomly, for a few minutes even, then going back up to 10. Measured with the FPS indicator (right ctrl+scroll lock, or something like that), but feels more like 1 frame every 2 seconds while flying through the mountains northeast of sochi. When turning the video back off it's fine again.

Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Radeon R9 380
32 GB, 4x8GB, dual channel, 3200MHz
DCS running off M.2 SSD, saved games on normal HDD

Edited by FalcoGer

• FalcoGer changed the title to 5-15 FPS drop when TADS video underlay for pilot

Getting the same FPS drop when underlaying tads.

It happens on every map even with no other units spawned.

I noticed it  also happens when I'm in the CPG seat with TADS on the TEDAC Display.

From the usual 50-60 fps i drop to 38-39

Will try to upload a track/video of the issue later

My system :

Windows 11 

R9 3900X 12 cores cpu

32gb drr4 ram @3200mhz

GTX 1660

DCS running on 6gb/s SATA SSD

Edited by Drangoll

come in the forum to open a post about it, but i see the problem is already noticed.
In my case, i play with vsync on, cause putting it off cause me lot of tearing, anyway, i got solid 60fps in the apache, but when i open the tads view in the pilot seat (or also in the copilot seat in single player) my refresh rate got halved, from 60 to 30.

heres the pic, with the rivatuner statistic diffrence between tads on\off

5wMeSZH.png9G9G4Ux.png

same for me Pilot or CPG seat, dos not matter from 80 fps to 55-57 on the start on runway mission. For the CPG it does not matter if an actual image is displyed for me it also happens when "Grey" is selected. Goes up again when TADS is in OFF position or VID no Video is selected as Pilot.

That is actually happening in all modules, when you turn on any kind of video feed (same for mirrors) and it is no wonder when you think about it.

When you turn on mirrors/video-feed, the game engine need to render a second or third perspective, which consumes resources.

It may be more obvious when you are already struggling to keep up good fps, but it happens always.

(btw. V-sync on is not a good option to compare performance issues because it only steps up and down in increments of 30. So when you really get 61 with option a) and 59 with option b) it will still drop from 60 to 30, which is misleading in regards to the actual magnitude of the problem.)

I'd wish ED would find a way to work around this "issue", but from my understanding (as long as you are bottlenecked by any means) it will not be possible to render a second/third perspective without performance impacts.

• Like 3

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

@Hiob  Yes of course. It is just a "bigger" hit than in other other aircraft with TGP for example.. Maybe it has something to do with the FLIR overlay, for it to look good the TADS screen is maybe rendering in a higher resolution. That would be my guess at least.

Since the same frame hit occours with TADS display in off but SIGHT in TADS mode.

Yup, same thing is happening to me, when turning TADS on in the front seat or displaying TADS repeater on the VID page in the back. This performance hit is the same in the Hornet when using the Lightning/ATFLIR pods as well, the performance hit seems to be identical.

As stated this happens in all module's . 

The A10-C had this way back . It's a DCS thing . 

But it got improvement with patches . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Have you tried night flying with NVGs over lay . That too gives big frame drops . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

PNVS or TADS on a MPD cut my frames from solid 60 down to low 40s. 

I lowered pretty much every setting down to minimum fidelity to no effect. It is only the PNVS or TADS. Please optimize this, it kills the whole Apache experience.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...