Possible Tomcat trim spawn bug

Quid

ALCON,

I’ve noticed a possible bug, but what is infuriating about it is its lack of consistency. I’ve tested this against multiple airframes (F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, MiG-19) and only the Tomcat (both A and B) appear to be affected. This happens in both single player and multi-player to me. At random, the F-14 will spawn with a trim setting where the stabs will be offset. They are offset to such an extent that the aircraft will roll itself uncommanded as if the stick were programmed at least 50% to either the left or right. I attempted to trim it out and at full trim, the aircraft still rolled uncommanded.  I first encountered the issue in a 1v1 guns vs. AI mission and then found it occurs in both SP and MP.  I was fighting uncommanded right roll while trying to dogfight with counter-rudder and counter-stick to try to get the plane to pull straight.

The problem is not related to the joystick itself. I tested it on other airframes, ran recalibration, updated the firmware, restarted the computer, restarted DCS, unplugged and replugged the stick into the computer. I also tested the VR hand settings to see if they were interfering (they had been in the past causing the stick to recenter at random), turning off and on the VR grips interaction with the throttle and stick, with no effect. I checked my settings as well to see if there were multiple bindings to the roll axis; there are none.

I do not have a track file because the problem is idiosyncratic by the spawn. On a friend’s server, I spawned six times to test. The problem appeared the second time in the second of four Tomcat slots on that server. Slot 1 did not have the problem, nor did 3 or 4. 2 did the first time, but when I tested a second time, it did not. When I tested it on my 1v1 guns only vs. AI mission, it happened repeatedly, but randomly, it would not.  A free-flight test resulted in no roll, while an intercept mission had it happen immediately as I left the deck.  Eventually I started checking the external view to see if the stabs were deflected differentially, and lo and behold, they were.

Please see the attached pictures which show the stab deflection differential with neutral stick and rudder.

Again, this happens randomly, for some reason more often in my single player missions, but sometimes in MP. Easiest way I’ve dealt with it in MP is to just respawn until the plane I get has matching stabs.

Cheers,

Quid

Deflection1.jpg

Deflection2.jpg

Edited by Quid
Repeated F-15C; meant to say F-15C and F-16C
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

Confirmed happened to me tonight on the 2nd hop in coop MP, after respawning hot on a carrier. Syria map, Styx server. 

• Thanks 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Same here.  Only tried Zone-5 Campaign and practice 1v1 mission in F-14A.  Rear horizontal stabs offset upon spawn at ramp, or mid-air.  Trim won't bring them into alignment, rendering the F-14 unflyable.

Edited by JupiterJoe
  • Like 1

Reported, known and already fixed - wait for the patch.

Workaround - use AP engage&disenagge, best before flight.

"Unflyable"... sweet baby G.

• Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria